Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy and the green, green grass of home 2012 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 8 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy and the green, green grass of home 2012

(Read 5337 times)
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Andy and the green, green grass of home 2012 « on: June 08, 2012, 01:36 AM »

Isn't it strange and somehow wonderful on the Monday after Roland Garros when you switch your TV on and the screen is suddenly all bright green and blue?

Yes it is!

My favourite time of the year and though I'm 12,000 miles away, I won't let it spoil my chance of seeing some Andy tennis. Very Happy

Andy's appearance at Queens seems to have a question mark over it and though it would be disappointing not to see him there, I'd rather him conserve his energy for Wimbledon.

Here's what he had to say about Queens

Defending champion Andy Murray is considering ­pulling out of next week’s AEGON Championships at Queen’s to ensure he can mount a credible bid for a first ­Wimbledon title.

The British No1 was beaten 6-4, 6-7, 6-3, 6-2 by sixth seed David Ferrer in a rain-interrupted French Open quarter-final last night and then admitted he is still short of the fitness needed to win a maiden Grand Slam.

He has battled to control a back problem since December and the world No4 thinks he needs “five or six days” of specific work with his trainers to get him ready for Wimbledon.

Murray’s loss would be a huge blow to the Queen’s tournament, which starts on Monday a fortnight before the grass-court Grand Slam.

He said: “I will sit down and discuss this event [Queen’s] and the best way to prepare. It is not a disaster if I can’t play a tournament before Wimbledon.

“I need to get some good physical work done and that will be important. It’s about when that can be done —whether it’s over the next five, six days before I play at Queen’s or the four or five days I would have after Queen’s before Wimbledon. Novak Djokovic didn’t play before the Australian Open this year and I don’t believe he played before Wimbledon last year.

“That is why I will need to speak to all the guys and discuss when the best time to start is. I probably could do with a day or two off as well.”

I would like to see some more of this

And then on to this

Watch this space.............................
[ Last edit by Bevc June 08, 2012, 01:51 AM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy and the green, green grass of home 2012 « Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 02:13 AM »

Thanks Bev. Smile  Hard to imagine Andy missing Queens, but as he says he does need a break and he does have to work on the phyiscal side of things.  He did admit in an interview with BBC Scotland that Ferrer had finally "out-run" him in their match.  Not surprising really because his on-going back problem which forced him to rest after Barcelona would have put paid to some parts of his training.

EDIT - Have come across this on the ATP website, dated 10 April, where Andy states he's committed to playing at Queens until 2016.  They aren't going to be too happy if he pulls out, but I reckon the back problem is a good enough reason.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2012/04/Features/London-Murray-And-BBC-Extend-Commitments.aspx
[ Last edit by Aileen June 08, 2012, 03:19 AM ] IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Andy and the green, green grass of home 2012 « Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 07:38 AM »

My gut feeling is that he will play at Queens.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy and the green, green grass of home 2012 « Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 07:55 AM »

EDIT - Have come across this on the ATP website, dated 10 April, where Andy states he's committed to playing at Queens until 2016.  They aren't going to be too happy if he pulls out, but I reckon the back problem is a good enough reason.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2012/04/Features/London-Murray-And-BBC-Extend-Commitments.aspx

Yeah, I remembered reading about that but ran out of time at lunch time.  Embarassed  Thanks for posting the link to the news item.

Hewitt and Ward join six of the world’s Top 12 players players in the singles field, with Andy Murray (4), Tsonga (5), Janko Tipsarevic (8), Juan Martin Del Potro (9), Mardy Fish (11), and Gilles Simon (12) all entered. Another four-time champion, Andy Roddick, will also be part of the line-up.

The event will announce a further three wild cards (I believe that these have gone to junior Brits) before the singles draw is made on Saturday 9th June.

http://www.queensclub.co.uk/home
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy and the green, green grass of home 2012 « Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 07:57 AM »

My gut feeling is that he will play at Queens.

He's a big draw card.  I would dearly love him to be there but his body might have a different view.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Andy and the green, green grass of home 2012 « Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 08:03 AM »

Completely fed up reading John McEnroe's comments. Feel it's because Andy chose Lendl as his coach, despite John Mac offering on a number of occasions, sour grapes...I do wish the likes of John, Boris etc would shut up.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Andy and the green, green grass of home 2012 « Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 09:37 AM »

We should all just listen to Jim Courier, he is so positive about Andy.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Andy and the green, green grass of home 2012 « Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 10:20 AM »

We should all just listen to Jim Courier, he is so positive about Andy.

So agree I learnt so much from him over the last fortnight including how to stay positive about Andy.  Sent channel 4 an email saying how great I thought he was in all commentary not just andys matches. Only down side of the grass is we have to go back to the usual comms.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Andy and the green, green grass of home 2012 « Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 12:04 PM »

Well if Andy plays we will have 5 men in the first round at Queens.  Baker, Golding and Broady have been given wild cards along with Ward. I know the chances of there being that many in the second round is remote and it is a British competition but how fantastic. Lets hope that Golding and Broady can show us the promise we are hoping for and Ward can do well like he did last year. I also have a lot of respect for the way Baker has fought back from illness and would love to see him do well. 

Mind you how much money would you put on most of them being very close in the draw.
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: Andy and the green, green grass of home 2012 « Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 12:17 PM »

Andy's back is becoming as famous as Nadal's knees. The only difference is Nadal goes on to win and Andy does'nt.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Andy and the green, green grass of home 2012 « Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 01:35 PM »

^^  ehh what's the supposed to mean. He lost a QF to Ferrer on Clay  that is not embarrassing by any means.  I thought his RG run was superb considering he had that awful back injury and he had such a tough draw.  Probably the toughest draw he has ever had at a GS. Right at this moment nadal is looking great  100% fit where as Murray is not 100 % fit.  Dont get me wrong  these two players are probably the fittest on tour  but you do get the odd niggles here and there.  It happens.  Nadal might pick up some injuries later in the year.  heck any player can.  I feel that Andy will play Queens  but I just wish he would take a break.   he keeps on saying  I need to improve my fitness after almost every GS lost.  He doesn't need to improve it.  He is as fit a flee.  Just needs to clear his head a bit  have a holiday away from the clay Very Happy  just needs to work on some shots and key areas of the game  like the FH and second serve.  I was quite impressed with his FH at RG  Improving all the time!   The grass season will be so exciting I Cant wait  Smile  I just hope the Wimbledon final won't be yet another Rafole final    yawn
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy and the green, green grass of home 2012 « Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 02:54 PM »

Anything is better than the damn clay.

Anyway, Courier maybe positive about Andy but it will always have to be someone who brings out the best in Andy. Someone who motivates Andy. So I am sure Andy’s choice of Lendl has everything to do with that.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Andy and the green, green grass of home 2012 « Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 03:07 PM »

Queens draw tomorrow when will Andy have to make his decision.
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Andy and the green, green grass of home 2012 « Reply #13 on: June 08, 2012, 03:10 PM »

Why doesn't he take a week off, enter into Eastbourne as a wild card, then play a few matches before tanking to ensure a few days off before the big W?

That said, he'll get a first-round bye at Queens so he'll probably not play until Wednesday. That should be enough time, fingers crossed.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Andy and the green, green grass of home 2012 « Reply #14 on: June 08, 2012, 03:31 PM »

According to this, it's a "Go."...
http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/tennis/queens-next-for-scot-as-grass-court-season-looms.17819793
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 8 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »