Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy and the green, green grass of home 2012 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy and the green, green grass of home 2012

(Read 5885 times)
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Andy and the green, green grass of home 2012 « Reply #75 on: June 11, 2012, 03:50 PM »

Queens is wanky anyways. An arena full of people with double barrelled surnames, who don't give the slightest f**k about tennis.

A good warm up for Wimbledon, and some stunning grass courts, but the most insipid, flaccid and beige atmosphere on the ATP Tour. Some people there don't have a clue about tennis, just socialites and people who live for hospitality events.

If you think that's bad try the Hurlingham Club!
I know quite a few of the regulars at these venues and yes you are mostly correct.
But..and here's the shocker they tend to be supporters of Andy Murray more than you might think.
But its more about the general social occasion & the same can be said of Wimbledon, but obviously much more so.
Hope James can give some company to Andy again and if Andy plays even half as well as last year here there is only going to be one winner.
IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy and the green, green grass of home 2012 « Reply #76 on: June 11, 2012, 04:02 PM »

But before this, topspin said she will be at Queens tournie, so shout out to her too.Smile

Hanging about the house today waiting for the rain to stop!!!

Same day or next day tickets available, that is the beauty of poncy posh Queens, get yer arses over here! yay
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Andy and the green, green grass of home 2012 « Reply #77 on: June 11, 2012, 04:06 PM »

I know quite a few of the regulars at these venues and yes you are mostly correct.
But..and here's the shocker they tend to be supporters of Andy Murray more than you might think.
But its more about the general social occasion & the same can be said of Wimbledon, but obviously much more so.
Hope James can give some company to Andy again and if Andy plays even half as well as last year here there is only going to be one winner.

I'm sure they will give great support to the Brits, and rightfully so. To be honest, if I was minted, I would probably be going to Queens. Martinis and Feliciano Lopez's arse, heaven. It would be a nice wee gig.

One of the many gripes I have with British tennis, there's an image problem in the United Kingdom. The French system is modest, and implements a game that is available to everyone through the plethora of clubs that exist. It is universal and not a snobby sport in France. I would argue that it is here.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Andy and the green, green grass of home 2012 « Reply #78 on: June 11, 2012, 04:15 PM »

I'm sure they will give great support to the Brits, and rightfully so. To be honest, if I was minted, I would probably be going to Queens. Martinis and Feliciano Lopez's arse, heaven. It would be a nice wee gig.

One of the many gripes I have with British tennis, there's an image problem in the United Kingdom. The French system is modest, and implements a game that is available to everyone through the plethora of clubs that exist. It is universal and not a snobby sport in France. I would argue that it is here.

True the groundwork is there in France, but remember France is mostly a warm mediterranean country with actual summers. Having a tennis club with outdoor courts is more natural to the environment & overall lifestyle. The french are certainly more sporty than the british as the weather is simply more conducive to outdoor activities.
This might also be the reason that us Brits can make modern music and generally do better in other current cultural endeavours.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Andy and the green, green grass of home 2012 « Reply #79 on: June 11, 2012, 04:22 PM »

And I think that's the very reason we can't get top 100 players, with one notable exception who went to Spain.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy and the green, green grass of home 2012 « Reply #80 on: June 11, 2012, 04:24 PM »

Has a whole tournament ever been rained off before?

Are there any indoor courts that can be used if this rain holds up all week (which, by the forecast, looks like it very well could)? Might be the only solution, would probably bring up some strange results though (like Ebden beating Simon at Shanghai last year in an amateur indoor court with no cameras).
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Andy and the green, green grass of home 2012 « Reply #81 on: June 11, 2012, 04:27 PM »

Has a whole tournament ever been rained off before?

Are there any indoor courts that can be used if this rain holds up all week (which, by the forecast, looks like it very well could)? Might be the only solution, would probably bring up some strange results though (like Ebden beating Simon at Shanghai last year in an amateur indoor court with no cameras).

I think they will play at Roehampton if worst comes to the worst.
IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy and the green, green grass of home 2012 « Reply #82 on: June 11, 2012, 04:27 PM »

Have you ever been, is it any good for a one off? Berdych, Hewitt, Roddick and Tsonga are playing this year but I've seen them before. Think

Queens as a smaller tournament is more intimate than Wimbledon, there is much less security but I felt a freak there for being a tennis fan, it has no charm.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Andy and the green, green grass of home 2012 « Reply #83 on: June 11, 2012, 04:49 PM »

Have you ever been, is it any good for a one off? Berdych, Hewitt, Roddick and Tsonga are playing this year but I've seen them before. Think

Queens as a smaller tournament is more intimate than Wimbledon, there is much less security but I felt a freak there for being a tennis fan, it has no charm.

I've been to a motor event there and also for a drink (with a member) a couple of times.
Its a really nice place but its normally rather stuffy & cliquey.
Polo is more the thing at the Hurlingham but it can't do any harm checking out the tennis.
The grounds are beautiful & they really know how to put on a show, so you should have a great day out.
It will put you in the mood for Wimbledon for sure.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Andy and the green, green grass of home 2012 « Reply #84 on: June 11, 2012, 04:55 PM »

True the groundwork is there in France, but remember France is mostly a warm mediterranean country with actual summers. Having a tennis club with outdoor courts is more natural to the environment & overall lifestyle. The french are certainly more sporty than the british as the weather is simply more conducive to outdoor activities.
This might also be the reason that us Brits can make modern music and generally do better in other current cultural endeavours.

The French guy who worked with the LTA for a while (sorry forgotten his name but he was speaking on ITV4) says there are other very fundamental differences.  Tennis is a major sport in France - it isn't in Britain.  At French tennis clubs everyone - including the kids - is encouraged to play competitively - singles rather than doubles.  Doubles tends to be much more the norm in Britain - I suppose because it is more social.  Also there is an amateur ranking system in France and they play in leagues much as we do with Sunday football.  Obviously, they are much more highly organised than we are.  Added to that the fact that there tends to be both outdoor courts and indoor courts in every town and village means the sport is much more accessible and reasonably priced.  It's not rocket science to work out why the French do so much better than we do. 
IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy and the green, green grass of home 2012 « Reply #85 on: June 11, 2012, 04:57 PM »

I've been to a motor event there and also for a drink (with a member) a couple of times.
Its a really nice place but its normally rather stuffy & cliquey.
Polo is more the thing at the Hurlingham but it can't do any harm checking out the tennis.
The grounds are beautiful & they really know how to put on a show, so you should have a great day out.
It will put you in the mood for Wimbledon for sure.

Yah dahling, how spiffing.  It doesn't really sound like my thing but I would certainly try it if Andy was playing. Smile

FFS, this rain is seriously getting on my tits.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Andy and the green, green grass of home 2012 « Reply #86 on: June 11, 2012, 05:14 PM »

Yah dahling, how spiffing.  It doesn't really sound like my thing but I would certainly try it if Andy was playing. Smile

FFS, this rain is seriously getting on my tits.

Yeah, that's basically what its all about.
But if Andy plays this year at the Hurlingham it's neither here nor there, is it?
I'm not bothered about the rain, its normal and anyway the extra day or 2's rest might be beneficial.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Andy and the green, green grass of home 2012 « Reply #87 on: June 11, 2012, 05:18 PM »

...my tits.
You sound a bit like Andy there. Wink
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy and the green, green grass of home 2012 « Reply #88 on: June 11, 2012, 06:38 PM »

I think they will play at Roehampton if worst comes to the worst.
Small comfort but good to know.  Weather isn't being kind generally - even Halle looks set to be badly affected by rain.
IP Logged
Quackers
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy and the green, green grass of home 2012 « Reply #89 on: June 11, 2012, 07:48 PM »

This rain had better do one by the time Wimbledon comes round!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »