Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy at Japan Open 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 25 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy at Japan Open

(Read 16427 times)
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Andy at Japan Open « on: September 21, 2012, 01:30 PM »

Missing Andy  so I thought why not just start this thread  lol.  Last year at the Japan Open, Andy won the tournament beating Nadal in 3 sets  3-6 6-2 6-0.  That bagel was delicious. Very Happy  Andy went on to win the doubles title with Jamie.  It really was an incredible tournament from  Andy.  Great memories.  Very Happy  Andy has a lot of points to defend this Asian Swing.  I think Andy loves playing in Asia.  He has had a lot of success here in the past.  He has to be smart with his scheduling though.  I don't think he can afford to do what he did last year - he ultimately ran out of gas, and was carrying some serious injuries.  He pulled out of Basel,  lost that controversial match with Berdych in Paris and pulled out of the World tour finals at the end of last year.    500 points to defend for this title.   cmonandy    yay cmon yeah    cmon yeah  yay   Very excited to welcome back our US open champ  yay

Tokyo final from last year.

IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: Andy at Japan Open « Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 04:42 PM »

Andy's down to play doubles again here with Jamie.
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Andy at Japan Open « Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 05:04 PM »

Andy with Jamie won the Doubles Title last year in Tokyo, so maybe that is why he's down to play again this year.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Andy at Japan Open « Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 07:20 PM »

I think he probably wants to help Jamie defend the points here - losing them would probably drop his ranking out of the top 50.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy at Japan Open « Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 07:46 PM »

Missing Andy  so I thought why not just start this thread  lol.  Last year at the Japan Open, Andy won the tournament beating Nadal in 3 sets  3-6 6-2 6-0.  That bagel was delicious. Very Happy  Andy went on to win the doubles title with Jamie.  It really was an incredible tournament from  Andy.  Great memories.  Very Happy  Andy has a lot of points to defend this Asian Swing.  I think Andy loves playing in Asia.  He has had a lot of success here in the past.  He has to be smart with his scheduling though.  I don't think he can afford to do, what he did last year - he ultimately ran out of gas, and was carrying some serious injuries.  He pulled out of Basel,  lost that controversial match with Berdych in Paris and pulled out of the World tour finals at the end of last year.    500 points to defend for this title.
Well Andy won't be defending his title in Bangkok, so that's one tournament less than last year.  Basel was a freak injury.  He was OK up till then, but after that it all seemed to fall apart for him.  Shame when he had such good momentum going.  He could always skip Basel again, but it would be a great opportunity for him to pick up ranking points.  Don't worry, though, Andy will take care of himself - and remember that from this year the off-season is 7 weeks and not 5, so more time to rest and recover.
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: Andy at Japan Open « Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 09:44 PM »

I think he probably wants to help Jamie defend the points here - losing them would probably drop his ranking out of the top 50.
Jamie's ranking will be dropping out of the top 50 anyway due to not defending the points he won in Metz last year.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Andy at Japan Open « Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 11:29 AM »

Tokyo final from last year.

Thank you so much for the link..I bet everyone loves the third set as much as I do. I had a bet with my brother about the last set and he asked me to call and tell him who won and I feel so bad to miss the expression on his face when I told him the score of the third set  w00t
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Andy at Japan Open « Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 03:29 PM »

Hi All,

Do you know, I have no recollection at all of watching the Asian swing from last year. Did Sky or Eurosport show the tournaments? I remember hearing Andy had done so well, but I would usually remember watching him win, and I just can't!

I'm thinking I must have had family over from Ireland - my sister and her family live there, and then I know I had a concert to go to in October, and that was closely followed by the mother of all migraine's, which would have made me unable to watch tennis, but how I came to miss three tournaments, assuming they were all shown, is beyond me.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Andy at Japan Open « Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 04:50 PM »

Anyone have a video of the whole Tokyo match,or know where I could find one?
Don't worry if not-I'm hoping there'll be more equally brilliant matches we'll be treated to soon Smile
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

Re: Andy at Japan Open « Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 05:56 PM »

Hi All,

Do you know, I have no recollection at all of watching the Asian swing from last year. Did Sky or Eurosport show the tournaments? I remember hearing Andy had done so well, but I would usually remember watching him win, and I just can't!

I'm thinking I must have had family over from Ireland - my sister and her family live there, and then I know I had a concert to go to in October, and that was closely followed by the mother of all migraine's, which would have made me unable to watch tennis, but how I came to miss three tournaments, assuming they were all shown, is beyond me.

lol mate.  Andy was the Asian King last year. Remember.  Andy  served so many Asian bagels.  Yum yum.  Bangkok,   Tokyo,  Shanghai.    How can you not remember Very Happy    I  remember it like it was yesterday.   watching bangkok in the early hours of the morning      I was exhausted but it was bloody brilliant.  He bet Donald Young in the final 6-2 6-0  Very Happy   Andy had a scare in the semi finals against Simon, I think.    My memories of it  are so vivid Very Happy

He then rocked Tokyo and Shanghai.   He did not start well in either of these tournaments.  In Tokyo, he bet Baghdatis in a tight one   7-6(4), 2-6, 6-4.  He then went on to win in the final against Nadal.   w00t  yay   He also had a scare during the 3rd round in Shanghai against Wawrinka.  Andy eventually won 6-7(5), 7-6(2), 6-2. Nadal got knocked out by Florian Mayer

Murray 7-5, 6-4

Andy tried to talk Chinese  Very Happy     it was hilarious.  Very Happy

[ Last edit by johnkiernan35 September 22, 2012, 06:06 PM ] IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Andy at Japan Open « Reply #10 on: September 22, 2012, 06:07 PM »

lol mate.  Andy was the Asian King last year. Remember.  Andy  served so many Asian bagels.  Yum yum.  Bangkok,   Tokyo,  Shanghai.    How can you not remember Very Happy    I it remember like it was yesterday.   watching bangkok in the early hours of the morning      I was exhausted but it was bloody brilliant.  He bet Donald Young in the final 6-2 6-0  Very Happy   Andy had a scare in the semi finals against Simon, I think.    My memories of it  are so vivid Very Happy

He then rocked Tokyo and Shanghai.   He did not start well in either of these tournaments.  In Tokyo, he bet Baghdatis in a tight one   7-6(4), 2-6, 6-4.  He then went on to win in the final against Nadal.   w00t  yay   He also had a scare during the 3rd round in Shanghai against Wawrinka.  Andy eventually won 6-7(5), 7-6(2), 6-2. Nadal got knocked out by Florian Mayer

Murray 7-5, 6-4

Andy tried to talk Chinese  Very Happy     it was hilarious.  Very Happy

It's just weird! Either Sky didn't show the matches, in which case that sort of rules me out, or I was not well (bloody migraines!) or I had visitors. I feel as if I've missed out now! I knew about his wins, of course, but I'm narked to have missed them - it's not like me, I swear!
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

Re: Andy at Japan Open « Reply #11 on: September 22, 2012, 06:17 PM »

It's just weird! Either Sky didn't show the matches, in which case that sort of rules me out, or I was not well (bloody migraines!) or I had visitors. I feel as if I've missed out now! I knew about his wins, of course, but I'm narked to have missed them - it's not like me, I swear!

aww it's ok  hug    I think Shanghai was on Sky.  The other's  you just had search around hopelessly  looking for a stream  lol.
 LOL  just checked my sky + planner and I still have the Shanghai final match  Very Happy haha.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy at Japan Open « Reply #12 on: September 22, 2012, 06:19 PM »

I remember him trouncing Donald Young 2&0 in the Bangkok final, I remember watching him bagel Nadal and I remember quite a bit of Shanghai actually, it was where Nishikori made his breakthrough and Matty Ebden reached the QFs, knocking out Gilles Simon en route. A lot of players sat Shanghai out last year.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

Re: Andy at Japan Open « Reply #13 on: September 22, 2012, 06:32 PM »

I remember him trouncing Donald Young 2&0 in the Bangkok final, I remember watching him bagel Nadal and I remember quite a bit of Shanghai actually, it was where Nishikori made his breakthrough and Matty Ebden reached the QFs, knocking out Gilles Simon en route. A lot of players sat Shanghai out last year.

yeah  I know right.   the "wounded Fed"  sat out of it last year,  and he might pull out of it again this  year - I won't be surprised if he does. It seems like  a lot of players pick and choose over the Asia swing,  and what tournaments they want to play in.  the players are so fussy  lol.     just looking at who's playing Tokyo.
   Berdbitch is number 2 seed. Monaco is 4.  Tipsy is 3  - nothing too difficult .Andy should win this.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy at Japan Open « Reply #14 on: September 23, 2012, 03:05 AM »

I watched the whole of Tokyo and Shanghai as usual on tennistv.com, the ATP's official livestream.  Had to find another one for Bangkok though, but it was quite amazing - the locals were so pleased to have Andy they treated him like royalty (eat your heart out, Roger!).

Berdbitch is number 2 seed. Monaco is 4.  Tipsy is 3  - nothing too difficult .Andy should win this.
So in theory we could be looking at a Berdych/Murray final.  It's quite a strong field really with nine of the top 20 players participating.  Tipsarevic is now a force to be reckoned with.  Local hero Nishikori could be dangerous and will have the crowd behind him.  Wawrinka might cause a few problems and a possible Murray/Raonic re-match could be very interesting.  Can't wait to see the draw!

By the way, don't get excited because Andy's ranking is shown as world No.4, despite the player list being updated on 19 Sept.  The rankings are based on those of 20 August.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 25 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »