Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy at Japan Open 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 25 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy at Japan Open

(Read 16915 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy at Japan Open « Reply #90 on: September 26, 2012, 07:13 PM »

Nadal also has the polished presentation skills of a federer but i think is a nicer person..perhaps.
Talking of Nadal - I don't think there was much doubt about it, but it's apparently been confirmed that he won't be playing for the rest of this season, and perhaps the beginning of next -

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/sep/25/rafael-nadal-miss-australian-open
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Andy at Japan Open « Reply #91 on: September 26, 2012, 07:32 PM »

gosh - so definitely won't be at 02 then.  Although he talks positively about his longer term future he must be worried.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Andy at Japan Open « Reply #92 on: September 26, 2012, 09:05 PM »

Talking of Nadal - I don't think there was much doubt about it, but it's apparently been confirmed that he won't be playing for the rest of this season, and perhaps the beginning of next -

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/sep/25/rafael-nadal-miss-australian-open

What Nadal has apparently said is that he wants to back before Australia, but is not sure he will be. He hasn't actually confirmed that he won't be there, at least not yet. It does make you wonder though.

It really does sound serious for Rafa. It just makes you wonder. It strikes me that he has been out of the game since late June, the second round of Wimbledon. Surely even when he comes back it will take him a while to be playing his best again.

I'm wondering what impact, if any, coming back as four in the world will have too. I can't see Rafa liking that one bit. I'm just thinking that Djokovic doing so well last year shook Rafa up. Now things have shifted again, with Andy making his moves. If Nadal comes back and doesn't get back to full flow immediately, which is what you could expect, his life on the court could become pretty uncomfortable.
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Andy at Japan Open « Reply #93 on: September 26, 2012, 09:08 PM »

Andy's down to play doubles again here with Jamie.
I dont think Jamie is playing too well recently but he's in Thailand now playing dubs with Andres SA.

Lets hope the bros do well in defending their titles!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Andy at Japan Open « Reply #94 on: September 26, 2012, 09:28 PM »

I dont think Jamie is playing too well recently but he's in Thailand now playing dubs with Andres SA.

Lets hope the bros do well in defending their titles!
Jamie certainly didn't play well in olympics dubs.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Andy at Japan Open « Reply #95 on: September 26, 2012, 09:56 PM »

Jamie and Andre won against the second seeds today. Smile

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-2209066/Murray-Sa-beat-second-seeds-Gonzalez-Lipsky-round-Thailand-Open.html?ito=feeds-newsxml
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Andy at Japan Open « Reply #96 on: September 26, 2012, 11:10 PM »

What Nadal has apparently said is that he wants to back before Australia, but is not sure he will be. He hasn't actually confirmed that he won't be there, at least not yet. It does make you wonder though.

It really does sound serious for Rafa. It just makes you wonder. It strikes me that he has been out of the game since late June, the second round of Wimbledon. Surely even when he comes back it will take him a while to be playing his best again.

I'm wondering what impact, if any, coming back as four in the world will have too. I can't see Rafa liking that one bit. I'm just thinking that Djokovic doing so well last year shook Rafa up. Now things have shifted again, with Andy making his moves. If Nadal comes back and doesn't get back to full flow immediately, which is what you could expect, his life on the court could become pretty uncomfortable.

after reading quite a few Nadal statements in the media recently....i recall the most worrying comments ...where he criticises the hard court seasons within the atp tennis schedule. He basically says they shouldnt exist. That there should only be grass and clay...due to the physical damage hard court does to their bodies. He also goes on to say that he will have to try and put more focus into clay and grass during the season...suggesting he wont even compete on hard court. If thats his plan...dont expect Rafa to be No.1 again.
As far as his comments on hard court...the point is that players prove themselves across ALL surfaces. Rafa's style of tennis is not suited to hard court... he relies too much on power and athleticism ... really its his game style that causes his body problems ...not so much the playing surface. Djokovic may well have problems with his joints soon also.... I think thats where Murray gets ahead of them ....his game is based more on variety these days than those guys and i think the benefits of that are beginning to be seen. I cant see Rafa winning anything other than the french open assuming he gets back to full fitness which I dont think he will.
IP Logged
Philip
Seed

Re: Andy at Japan Open « Reply #97 on: September 27, 2012, 01:00 AM »

I think Nadal has a somewhat valid point.

In the article below, Andy needed to take pain killers most of the time to play on the demanding hard court. However, considering that Andy plays best on a hard court (high, true bounce, better for ball striking), and that there are two GSs on the hard court, it is good that Nadal doesn't like playing on it. It gives Andy more chances to win GSs lol

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/my-next-step-is-to-be-world-no-1-says-magical-murray-8126222.html
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy at Japan Open « Reply #98 on: September 27, 2012, 03:35 AM »

Good points, TJ, and ones that I agree with.  Also how long before his knee(s) begin to cause more problems?  Once these things start, and Nadal's had problems for some years now, they're very likely to flare up again.  I truly can't see him only playing on clay or grass.  That would just be bizarre - and what would he do for the rest of the time?  Get a part-time job? lol 

I think Nadal has a somewhat valid point.

In the article below, Andy needed to take pain killers most of the time to play on the demanding hard court. However, considering that Andy plays best on a hard court (high, true bounce, better for ball striking), and that there are two GSs on the hard court, it is good that Nadal doesn't like playing on it. It gives Andy more chances to win GSs lol

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/my-next-step-is-to-be-world-no-1-says-magical-murray-8126222.html

I was a bit horrified when I read that Andy was taking pain-killers as a preventative measure.   If hard courts are so bad for player's bodies, then why have they been playing on them for so long?  Although like you I'm not objecting because it's the surface Andy does best on.  I'm convinced Djokovic is made from rubber the way he slides around on them!
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Andy at Japan Open « Reply #99 on: September 27, 2012, 10:32 AM »

I don't think Djokovic will have injury issues soon to be honest. Imo I think the sliding he does is much less straining on the body which is possible why he does it as it idk absorbs the tension/vibrations you would get from just running normally. Nadal on the other hand is always planting his feet on these hard courts after running with speed, it's his stye of play, it works, but it seems to mee like it will do a lot of damage in the future.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Andy at Japan Open « Reply #100 on: September 27, 2012, 11:16 AM »

Not sure Rafa would be allowed to play only the tournaments that suit him at least among the mandatory ones.  It is indeed worrying that Andy has to take painkillers before playing on hard court - can't be good for his health in the longer term.   Perhaps they should at least extend the grass court season so that perhaps there could be a grass court masters in another country between clay season and wimbledon and upgrade queens to a 500 and reduce the number of mandatory hard court tournaments accordingly?
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Andy at Japan Open « Reply #101 on: September 27, 2012, 11:18 AM »

It would be a good idea but I guess logistically speaking, grass is the hardest surface to maintain whilst Hard is the easiest, hence why there's more hard tournaments then anything else  (I think). Queens upgraded to a 500 would be a good idea.
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Andy at Japan Open « Reply #102 on: September 27, 2012, 11:24 AM »

Also it's a matter of the financial implications. It might be difficult to turn heavy sponsorships away from hard courts and towards grass courts.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Andy at Japan Open « Reply #103 on: September 27, 2012, 12:13 PM »

Does anyone know if Andy is now in Japan? Or en route?
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Andy at Japan Open « Reply #104 on: September 27, 2012, 12:16 PM »

On his facebook he's updated his location to Tokyo so I think he's there now Smile
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 25 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »