Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy at Japan Open 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 25 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Andy at Japan Open  (Read 12447 times)
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Andy at Japan Open « Reply #105 on: September 27, 2012, 12:36 PM »

Hi All,

I would concur with what several of you have already said. I really don't see how Rafa could continue by just playing the grass and clay seasons. Would he be allowed to do that? I just don't see it. If he was allowed to do it surely it would cause chaos. Wouldn't you get a lot of the players turning around and saying that in future they will only play on the surfaces that suit them best? Mind you, it would be one way to shorten the season Whistle.

Seriously though, if I was Rafa, and I really thought I would have to restrict myself to a specific part of the year, I would wonder what the point is. I know the urge to compete is strong, and it's hard to push that away, especially in a player who is relatively young still, but I think you have to be a bit realistic as well. I just think if it was to come to the point where Rafa couldn't play for a considerable chunk of the year, he would probably be silly to continue. Wouldn't it be better to stop and leave people with good memories, rather than continue and just have people focusing on these times when it has clearly become a struggle, at least physically?

At the risk of sounding unkind, and not really meaning to, I do wonder if part of Rafa's issue with the hard courts is partly that the surface doesn't entirely suit him. Now admittedly I haven't looked at his whole record, but certainly in the slams it is clear where Nadal's strength lies. He's won 1 AO, 1 USO, and the rest of his major titles have all come on the clay and grass, especially, obviously, the clay. The trouble, at least from his point of view, is that he can't expect the ATP to drop a surface just because he doesn't like it. He should know damned well they'd only do that for Fed Whistle.

As for Andy, I took the comment about him taking painkillers before playing on the hard courts to mean that this is what he has done this year, at the USO. I didn't see it as being something that he would do long term. I think you have to put it in context. Firstly, this part of the year has been very busy, more so than usual, because of having the Olympics on top of a schedule that is already quite cramped. Muscles, joints, etc, are bound to be sore at this point. I think it also depends on what is meant by painkillers. If it means something very strong I would be worried, but it could mean just a couple of paracetamol or something like that before a match, just to ease the aches and pains somewhat, in which case I don't see a problem.

In Djokovic's case I really wish he wouldn't slide like he does on the hard courts. One of these days he's going to get that horribly wrong and it won't be pretty. He's definitely got elastic ligaments though, I'll give him that. That said, in the final I was surprised by how Andy managed to get Djokovic down a number of times. I don't recall ever seeing Djokovic spending so much time on his backside before, or losing his balance. It was amazing stuff.
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: Andy at Japan Open « Reply #106 on: September 27, 2012, 12:49 PM »

I hope Andy is in Tokyo by now,8 hours difference in time is a lot to get used to. I'm glad to read that the O2 is important to him for that is where he could score a lot of points and possibly challenge for position no2 in the rankings. Roll on October and November, it could be a very exciting time to be a Murray fan
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Andy at Japan Open « Reply #107 on: September 27, 2012, 01:01 PM »

He was apparently feeling his age a week or so ago!  Yes he does want to end the year as No.1, but why all the earlier pantomime?  It smacks of mind-games to me.  If it is the case though that he's dragging himself back, then he could well be a sitting duck for Novak and Andy.

Yes Aileen its mind games. I am sure it suits him to think that he has convinced everyone hes a spent force instead of what actually happened, he lost a match.  He is a good indoor player (as wimbledon this year proved) but just imagine if Andy and Novak could see him off in everything over th next few months then he really would feel his age.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Andy at Japan Open « Reply #108 on: September 27, 2012, 01:07 PM »

And unfortunately lost today.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Andy at Japan Open « Reply #109 on: September 27, 2012, 02:34 PM »

On his facebook he's updated his location to Tokyo so I think he's there now Smile
Thanks prodigy.   That's good to know as shows he's taking Asian swing seriously by getting there in good time before he has to play a match.
IP Logged
lashurst
Veteran

Murray Mad

Re: Andy at Japan Open « Reply #110 on: September 27, 2012, 06:55 PM »

And unfortunately lost today.
Thats tough Frown
IP Logged
lashurst
Veteran

Murray Mad

Re: Andy at Japan Open « Reply #111 on: September 27, 2012, 06:58 PM »

On his facebook he's updated his location to Tokyo so I think he's there now Smile
Yeah, he'll be stuffing his chops with his favourite and exclusive Sushi.
He loves the stuff!
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Andy at Japan Open « Reply #112 on: September 27, 2012, 07:08 PM »

Andy had his treatment at the French in full view of the crowd, and was derided by Wade and co. as a result. It's a classic example of one rule for Saint Fed and another for everyone else, especially Andy.
[/quote]

Yup..... that bloke Virginia is just a jealous bitter drama queen..... coz now people in the UK have an actual world class champion.... Virginia who???

Bummer wee Fed boy will never be an olympic champion...... my heart bleeds. Found out by an increase in depth of tennis talent.... best player in history??...neahhhhh!!... Very good player in his prime, granted. IMO Bjorg is who i think of as best....He got non tennis lovers all over world watching the sport. Altho i might be saying Andy in a few years if he continues his progress.
[ Last edit by ABF September 27, 2012, 07:16 PM ] IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Andy at Japan Open « Reply #113 on: September 27, 2012, 07:10 PM »

^ Um she did win a slam or two didn't she? Whistle
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Andy at Japan Open « Reply #114 on: September 27, 2012, 07:17 PM »

^ Um she did win a slam or two didn't she? Whistle

My granny would have won a slam in the V.Wade era....pity she preferred to watch Coronation St
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy at Japan Open « Reply #115 on: September 27, 2012, 08:18 PM »

yay  Well he had to get there now given that his first match could be next Wednesday - and that's assuming a 1st round bye.

Yeah, he'll be stuffing his chops with his favourite and exclusive Sushi.
He loves the stuff!
Don't know what the attraction is.  Raw fish?  I ate enough raw fish on a cruise-ship in Norway to put me off it for life!  That and reindeer stew. yuk  Maybe I should give sushi a try since it's supposed to be good for you.  I'd be fussy about where I bought it though.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Andy at Japan Open « Reply #116 on: September 27, 2012, 08:40 PM »

I'm so impatient.   Like   HURRY  UP.   GET THIS TOURNAMENT STARTED ALREADY  --  CMONNNNN   I WANT TO SEE ANDY Very Happy
[ Last edit by johnkiernan35 September 27, 2012, 09:05 PM ] IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Andy at Japan Open « Reply #117 on: September 27, 2012, 09:17 PM »

Guys,I just posted this in the pictures thread,but seeing as we're all hungering for some Andy in Japan stuff,I thought I'd stick it in here too.
Andy on his arrival at a Japanese airport:

* tumblr_mb0gv3EDL31r3jn2xo1_400.jpg (51.71 KB, 400x300 - viewed 328 times.)
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Top Seed

Re: Andy at Japan Open « Reply #118 on: September 27, 2012, 09:18 PM »

When did he arrive, today?
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Andy at Japan Open « Reply #119 on: September 27, 2012, 09:51 PM »

Yep,sometime today.Couldn't tell you when though!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 25 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »