Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic, Friday, Time - 6:30pm GMT - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy at Japan Open 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy at Japan Open

(Read 16057 times)
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Andy at Japan Open « Reply #300 on: October 04, 2012, 08:21 AM »

Good for them - even if it does mean Andy has to play extra tennis tomorrow.   Would be lovely if he could defend both titles.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Andy at Japan Open « Reply #301 on: October 04, 2012, 08:31 AM »

Good news and thanks Bev.

Next up is Paes & Stepanek, No 1 seeds, who are at No 4 in the Doubles race to London. No problem!
IP Logged
Philip
Seed

Re: Andy at Japan Open « Reply #302 on: October 04, 2012, 08:40 AM »

Remember the days when Jamie played with Eric? Had their own website n' all!

Thanks for the commentary monologue Bev. Very Happy

They were doing so well and then Jamie decided to break off with Eric to try and get a better partner instead of working on improving himself and it back fired. Andy on the other hand stayed with Miles maybe a little too long before changing to Ivan. It all goes to show everyone progresses at different rates and need different inputs.

Why doesn't Jamie go to train with Andy with his team ? Surely he must know that they have a successful formula ?
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Andy at Japan Open « Reply #303 on: October 04, 2012, 09:07 AM »

Paes and Stepanek? Oh crap :O
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Andy at Japan Open « Reply #304 on: October 04, 2012, 10:18 AM »

Paes and Stepanek? Oh crap :O

Doubles seeds aren't doing too well this week in Tokyo or Beijing, so hoping Murrays can knock out these two, and Colin & Ross take out Lindstedt & Tecau in China!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Andy at Japan Open « Reply #305 on: October 04, 2012, 10:45 AM »

They were doing so well and then Jamie decided to break off with Eric to try and get a better partner instead of working on improving himself and it back fired. Andy on the other hand stayed with Miles maybe a little too long before changing to Ivan. It all goes to show everyone progresses at different rates and need different inputs.

Why doesn't Jamie go to train with Andy with his team ? Surely he must know that they have a successful formula ?
Philip there was quite a long gap between Andy breaking with Miles and taking on Ivan.   While some people say he should have taken on Ivan sooner I'm not sure he was ready to and I think it probably did him good to do it on his own for a while.  He had to learn for himself what he needed to do to make that final jump to the very top of the game.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Andy at Japan Open « Reply #306 on: October 04, 2012, 12:27 PM »

Andy had to learn to accept advice. Rather think that took time.
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Andy at Japan Open « Reply #307 on: October 04, 2012, 12:35 PM »

Andy had to learn to accept advice. Rather think that took time.

BBH, it's all about maturity.

Andy had a hard lesson to grasp and from AO 2012 onwards he has appears to have taken most onboard. Learning to listen to others is important and Lendl is the coach most suited to Andy's temperament.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Andy at Japan Open « Reply #308 on: October 04, 2012, 12:38 PM »

OSS I agree. Think he has matured quite late.
Didn't seem to have much of an adolescence either, which is part of the process.
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Andy at Japan Open « Reply #309 on: October 04, 2012, 12:48 PM »

OSS I agree. Think he has matured quite late.
Didn't seem to have much of an adolescence either, which is part of the process.

Remember, Andy himself had often stated that his best years would be between the ages of 23 and 26. His predictions are now coming home to roost. We have therefore to congratulate him on his forward looking vision.

Obviously, part of that has to be his growing up and not to believe that he alone had all the answers to his tennis abilities. I feel that his childhood, including the Dunblane killings are now finally put to rest and he can mentally deal with those horrors. Perhaps that was one of the reasons for his stubborn approaches to most matters. 
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy at Japan Open « Reply #310 on: October 04, 2012, 01:19 PM »

Am I the only one who thinks the scheduling for this tournament is silly. Andy has a rest day tomorrow, but the Final of the tournament is on Sunday, so that would mean he could (and probably will), be playing Friday, Sat and Sunday for the final. Not only that, but he also has doubles with Jamie, which no doubt will mean he's playing everyday from now on in...... Surely it would make more sense to have the quarters tomorrow, semis friday, and then a rest day on saturday before the final, for both players?
All non-Slams (bar IW and Miami) are like this as they only have a week to play five rounds. They normally stagger the early rounds due to the high number of matches and final three rounds are always played in succession.

What you're saying does make some sense, but then it's always been this way.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy at Japan Open « Reply #311 on: October 04, 2012, 01:22 PM »

Remember the days when Jamie played with Eric? Had their own website n' all!

Thanks for the commentary monologue Bev. Very Happy
They played a couple of tournaments against together recently but I don't think they won a single match.

Jamie really needs a regular partner. This year he's played with Andy, Hanley, Butorac, Sa and a few others I think. The lack of a regular partner is affecting him greatly.

They play the top seeds next - Paes and Stepanek who won the AO.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Andy at Japan Open « Reply #312 on: October 04, 2012, 02:44 PM »

Philip there was quite a long gap between Andy breaking with Miles and taking on Ivan.   While some people say he should have taken on Ivan sooner I'm not sure he was ready to and I think it probably did him good to do it on his own for a while.  He had to learn for himself what he needed to do to make that final jump to the very top of the game.

I agree completely with this. I am convinced that the time Andy spent on his own, before Lendl came on to the scene, was good for him. If I recall correctly, Andy was on his own for the majority of last year, and he had his best year in the slams - up until this year that is, getting to the semi's or better in all of them. That's not bad.

I might have said this before, but I think Andy was right to take his time in making a decision about who was going to coach him after Miles. There was so much speculation on the subject. Everyone within tennis seemed to have an opinion, it must have been a big temptation to ake someone on, anyone, just to shut people up. However, Andy took his time, knowing that he was making an important decision for the future of his career. I think that was really mature. Then, when he did take Lendl on, everyone had an opinion about that, some saying it was an inspired chpice, others suggesting it would all go horribly wrong and would all be over within a week! I read somewhere that Lendl warned Andy when they first got together that everyone would have a view on it, that it would attract publicity and attention. He wasn't wrong, was he?

Looking back on that time on his own, I think it made Andy take responsibility for himself. I'm convinced it made him look at his game and decide what he wanted, which I think is good for anyone. However, I think it takes maturity to see that something else is needed, maybe some other input. Maybe he had reached a point where he was more prepared to listen, or maybe he had reached a point where he felt that he needed to do something about anything that was holding him back, possibly fear of failure, or not being good enough, for example.

I think Andy knows better than anyone how important the years between 24 and 28 or so, are for any player. It seems to me as if he knew that these are the years where he should be peaking, reaching his full potential, and he needed something to help him do that. Well, it seems as if he made the right choice.

The thing that fascinates me is that when Andy started working with Lendl, they both said that people should give them six to nine months before things clicked, or words to that effect. They weren't wrong lol.
IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: Andy at Japan Open « Reply #313 on: October 04, 2012, 03:04 PM »

Apparently Jamie tried a training session with Andy and his team before the Olympics and said that he lasted 10 minutes.  I don't think Jamie has the same determination to do whatever it takes to get to the top.  In his book Andy felt that the LTA coaching had ruined Jamie's game,
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Andy at Japan Open « Reply #314 on: October 04, 2012, 05:28 PM »

I think Andy is right there. Frown
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »