Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy at Olympics 2012 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 66 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy at Olympics 2012

(Read 22657 times)
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Andy at Olympics 2012 « on: June 19, 2012, 05:04 PM »

I'm not feeling that novak is getting to every final again, although if he is not in Andy's half then he obviously has a much better chance. Like you I doubt he'll even meet Roger in the semis.
I didnt mean a fedal final, I meant Rafa against someone else.
I'm still hopeful about Andy getting his act together in time for the US Open.
An olympic medal at Wimbledon could be a definitive moment.
its easy for me to say but surely he has a great chance of any of the medals on grass over a 3 setter?I have conveniently forgot about China so please don't remind me  Whistle

But surely he would be more keen on winning a Slam this year than some Olympic medal?

Mod NoticeCreated a new thread from this discussion.
[ Last edit by Mark June 20, 2012, 07:01 PM ] IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 05:11 PM »

But surely he would be more keen on winning a Slam this year than some Olympic medal?

Screw the Olympics, but it might be a "davis cup" moment for him if he were to do well.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 05:20 PM »

Screw the Olympics, but it might be a "davis cup" moment for him if he were to do well.

It can have some sort of affect I guess but going into USO, it may run its course. Andy will have to gear it up and without the help of a "Davis Cup" moment. It should now be essential for him and he should be quite hungry too. Sometimes a strong desire to win can take you to the extra mile even if you don't have the goods. I mean look at Nadal. Sheer will and consistency has gotten him this far. Why should a talent like Andy wait for this long? Obviously he's lacking something and it's the sheer drive. Oh and a country that stands between them more often than not.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 08:07 PM »

Id bet most true tennis fans couldn't care less about the Olympics. It just feels so contrived. Tennis should not be in the Olympics full stop. Id rather Andy won a Masters event to be honest.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 08:44 PM »

Id bet most true tennis fans couldn't care less about the Olympics. It just feels so contrived. Tennis should not be in the Olympics full stop. Id rather Andy won a Masters event to be honest.

It's for those who thrive on team/country sport. Tennis is definitely not one of them so yes, I agree. I do think that in the future it will be taken off altogether from Olympics.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 10:47 PM »

Hey Pinocchio..I'm a true tennis fan, and I care about the Olympics.  I'd rather he won an Olympic medal (the golder the better) than another Masters. He's already 'mastered' this.
Based on media interviews, I think Andy cares about the Olympics too.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 02:28 PM »

It's for those who thrive on team/country sport. Tennis is definitely not one of them so yes, I agree. I do think that in the future it will be taken off altogether from Olympics.

If the Olympics is not the pinnacle event for that sport, then the sport isn't an Olympic event.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 06:02 PM »

If the Olympics is not the pinnacle event for that sport, then the sport isn't an Olympic event.

I quite agree, and that’s why tennis shouldn’t be a part of Olympics. 
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 03:11 AM »

I quite agree, and that’s why tennis shouldn’t be a part of Olympics. 
What Andy says about the Olympics (there's a vid with this too):
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/18530606

In an interview with BBC Sport, Murray said: "Within tennis, a Grand Slam is probably more prestigious.
"But in general, to the whole world, a gold medal is the pinnacle of sport. Winning a medal this summer for Team GB is one of my major goals."
"In the last four years I've understood how important the Olympics is to a tennis player and especially myself.

IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 05:07 AM »

Does this mean that if Andy wins gold, you lot are going to belittle it by saying "Oh Well.....It was 'only' the Olympics!"?  doh Get real guys!
IP Logged
matchpoint
Futures Level

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 08:05 AM »

That's it. Andy shows where his true aspiration lies over these Summer months: http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/tennis/murray-i-want-to-win-olympic-medal-with-jamie.17947067

Here's hoping they both will be playing at the top of their games.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 08:28 AM »

An Olympic gold would mean much more to Andy than another masters I'm sure.  I'd always assumed his dreadful performance last time was due to jet lag, having flown out too late.  But he's putting it down to getting too caught up in the whole Olympic thing and not focusing sufficiently on his own game. So I hope he doesn't move into the Olympic village and stays at home to help him to do that.
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #12 on: June 22, 2012, 08:59 AM »

Spot on although Andy seems to be talking up the Olympics.  The Olympics should be the pinnacle of a sport and it's not in Tennis - so shouldn't be included along with a few other sports
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #13 on: June 22, 2012, 09:42 AM »

I agree it doesn't really fit in the Olympics but like Everest it's there and therefore if Andy reached that particular summit he could be justly proud.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #14 on: June 22, 2012, 09:57 AM »

In order of prestige, I'd go with:

1 Wimbledon
2 US Open
3 French Open
4 Australian Open
5 WTF
6 Any Masters title
7 Davis Cup
8 500 events
9 Olympics
10 250 events