Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy at Olympics 2012 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 66 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy at Olympics 2012

(Read 24028 times)
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #15 on: June 22, 2012, 10:44 AM »

In Andy's mind, I think Wimbledon and Olympics are 1 and 2.  Or that's what's coming across in his interviews, imo.
IP Logged
matchpoint
Futures Level

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #16 on: June 22, 2012, 10:54 AM »

In Andy's mind, I think Wimbledon and Olympics are 1 and 2.  Or that's what's coming across in his interviews, imo.

(I could be wrong) but my view is that I think the Jamie factor puts the Olympics at 1 in Andy's mind. Brotherly love and all that.....
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #17 on: June 22, 2012, 10:57 AM »

Think interesting perspective.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #18 on: June 22, 2012, 12:05 PM »

In order of prestige, I'd go with:

1 Wimbledon
2 US Open
3 French Open
4 Australian Open
5 WTF
6 Any Masters title
7 Davis Cup
8 500 events
9 Olympics
10 250 events

Id go with that, although I might put all 3 non wimbledon slams as joint 2nd.
The US Open has really started to look ragged recently as well as being enormously unfair with its scheduling. Now it just doesn't feel like its almost as good as Wimbledon and the other 2 particularly the AO have better facilities and are better run.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #19 on: June 22, 2012, 12:33 PM »

Yes, I ranked the slams based on an age-old hierarchy from when I grew up with tennis in the 70s. I take the point about the USO. Roland Garros is also looking shabby. If we were being objective and fair, by modern standards, facilities, scheduling etc., a more realistic ranking would be:

1 Wimbledon
2 Australian Open
3 US Open
4 French Open

IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #20 on: June 22, 2012, 12:44 PM »

Yes, I ranked the slams based on an age-old hierarchy from when I grew up with tennis in the 70s. I take the point about the USO. Roland Garros is also looking shabby. If we were being objective and fair, by modern standards, facilities, scheduling etc., a more realistic ranking would be:

1 Wimbledon
2 Australian Open
3 US Open
4 French Open

Yes thats more like it. But this US Open thing really bothers me. And so i would like to give it fourth place just for that.
If you look at it from the perspective how the commercial influences have completely overtaken
the interests of Tennis and the players.
No better example of the unfairness of this can be shown than the way federer gets treated compared to the way Andy has recently.
I do feel that if he has to start again on the Wednesday and theres another hurricane, which there will be, he probably will be downed by Nadal again come the semis. Something that shouldn't be happening anymore in my view. Not that it was too fair to Rafa either last year.
[ Last edit by theycanbillme June 22, 2012, 12:56 PM ] IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #21 on: June 22, 2012, 01:45 PM »

I don't think Andy's going to say anything different other than what he had said so far about Olympics. If he says, for example, that he doesn’t care as much, then he'll be a complete fool. He’s simply being diplomatic. How he truly feels about it is something only he knows.

In another scenario, let's say, if Andy wins only Olympics and no Slam in his entire career, then very few people will remember it in the future. But if he wins a Slam, then that will put him on whole another bracket. It's just two very different scenarios in terms of prestige. People’s opinion of Andy will change overnight. That won’t happen with Olympics.

Nigel was generous to put it before a 250 event. For me, it's more like an exo. Whether he loses or wins, makes no difference to me. I’ll be happy that he’s won an event but it won’t raise my blood.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #22 on: June 22, 2012, 01:55 PM »

I don't think Andy's going to say anything different other than what he had said so far about Olympics. If he says, for example, that he doesn’t care as much, then he'll be a complete fool. He’s simply being diplomatic. How he truly feels about it is something only he knows.

In another scenario, let's say, if Andy wins only Olympics and no Slam in his entire career, then very few people will remember it in the future. But if he wins a Slam, then that will put him on whole another bracket. It's just two very different scenarios in terms of prestige. People’s opinion of Andy will change overnight. That won’t happen with Olympics.

Nigel was generous to put it before a 250 event. For me, it's more like an exo. Whether he loses or wins, makes no difference to me. I’ll be happy that he’s won an event but it won’t raise my blood.

You're going a bit too far about this i think EJ.
Tell federer that a  golden slam means nothing, I doubt he'll agree until/unless he fails to win it. Or nadal who has.
And yet why hasn't he won it before.
Lets not include the Olympics in the list at all.
But it is a really nice icing on the cake and def more memorable to a slam winner than a 250, given its national implications.
[ Last edit by theycanbillme June 22, 2012, 02:08 PM ] IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #23 on: June 22, 2012, 02:05 PM »

It seems to be making a real difference to all the players this year that the Olympics is being held at Wimbledon.  Until recently, I don't think any of them have really bothered about it but they all seem to be really keen this time round.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #24 on: June 22, 2012, 02:16 PM »

It seems to be making a real difference to all the players this year that the Olympics is being held at Wimbledon.  Until recently, I don't think any of them have really bothered about it but they all seem to be really keen this time round.

Yes, i think the setting makes it almost a Wimbledon Lite tournament with a nice medal at the end. If Andy wins a gold for his country they might cut him some slack too.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #25 on: June 22, 2012, 02:26 PM »

Winning either would be great.........Both, fantastic, but if he does win gold, that just may change some people's views of him......for the better. I'd like to think so anyway.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #26 on: June 22, 2012, 02:29 PM »

Winning either would be great.........Both, fantastic, but if he does win gold, that just may change some people's views of him......for the better. I'd like to think so anyway.

Yes but i think we both know what he really needs to win for that to happen Caz.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #27 on: June 22, 2012, 02:38 PM »

Yes TCB......If he could only win one and I could choose, it would definately be Wimbledon, but if he wins Olympic Gold, he's winning it for the whole of Britain and not just us Andy fans. It would be nice to think he'd be treated better by the media and those who don't see him as 'British', since he jokingly referred to 'anyone but England'!
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #28 on: June 22, 2012, 02:46 PM »

Either would be most welcome - although I'm sure Andy himself would much rather have the Wimbledon title.   I have no doubt that winning Olympic Gold would be huge for Andy's profile with the British public but will probably not count in the tennis' pundits book by the end of his career.   Being greedy, I'd like him to have both! 
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #29 on: June 22, 2012, 03:08 PM »

Yes Alis....wouldn't we all !
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 66 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »