Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Matthias Bachinger, Thursday, Time TBA - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy at Olympics 2012 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 66 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy at Olympics 2012

(Read 22391 times)
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #45 on: June 26, 2012, 03:21 AM »

Bevster.. allow me to educate you (missing my day job, so cut me some slack Smile )
- Donovan Bailey (sprinter): 2 xGold 1996
- Clara Hughes (speed skater/cyclist.. best known for speed skating): 4 bronze, 1 silver, 1 Gold (2006)
- Lennox Lewis (boxer) : Gold 1998 (sorry... Canadian Gold lol)
- Simon Whitfield (triathlete) : Gold 2000, Silver 2008
- Jamie Sale & David Pelletier (pairs skaters) Gold 2002
- Tessa Vitue & Scott Moir (skaters, dance) Gold 2010
- Patrick Chan (skater) : Ooops, I made a mistook here, Patrick is World Champion for past 2 years but bottled it at Olympics But 2014 is HIS!
- Kurt Browning (skater): Ooops again.. but Kurt is so well loved here. 4 time World Champion.
btw Bev.. I'm a huge skating fan along with my tennis Smile

lol  I did use to be a fan of skating - Robin Cousins, Torvill & Dean and the guy that was like a ballet dancer on ice (I forget his name Think ) Oh John Curry!

I'm better educated now - no pop quiz later to see if I remember naughty
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #46 on: June 26, 2012, 03:22 AM »

Is that a Canadians view about the Olympics? I wouldn't know any Canadian Olympic winners but I'm damn sure I can name plenty of Brits and only for the reason that they had a gold medal placed around their necks.
I don't get it. Why would I want to speak for the whole Canada? lol This is strictly my personal opinion. This is a forum after all. Geez
Emma.. you confuse me.. confused
Barring Bev's omission of an apostrophe, therefore rendering you inadmissable as 'speaking for Canada,' I honestly don't understand why you wouldn't cheer on our athletes who have worked so incredibly hard and feel so proud to bring home a medal for our country  Shrug We've got some absolute crackers to get behind. This is their life-long dream! yes
[ Last edit by scotnadian June 26, 2012, 04:40 AM ] IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #47 on: June 26, 2012, 04:37 AM »

I'm better educated now - no pop quiz later to see if I remember naughty
Yous is off da hook for now lady.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #48 on: June 26, 2012, 09:25 AM »

Phew! Think the Olympic torch is in my neck of the woods ATM, or at least the place of my birth lol  When does Andy take the mantle? Bet that doesnt end up on eBay.
IP Logged
Tasmanian Devil
Challenger Level

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #49 on: June 26, 2012, 01:58 PM »

Olympic tennis may just be a sideshow in the grand scheme of things, but if you see the Olympics as a celebration of sport then why shouldn't it be included?  It's only every four years so it's not like you have to put up with it every year.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #50 on: June 26, 2012, 04:03 PM »

Emma.. you confuse me.. confused
Barring Bev's omission of an apostrophe, therefore rendering you inadmissable as 'speaking for Canada,' I honestly don't understand why you wouldn't cheer on our athletes who have worked so incredibly hard and feel so proud to bring home a medal for our country  Shrug We've got some absolute crackers to get behind. This is their life-long dream! yes

And some of you guys confuse me. That was probably the 3rd time I was asked on this very forum (and never on any other forum) if that’s how Canada or Canadians see things (same meaning for me). And when did I ever say that bolded part? Why so much being read into something that isn’t there in the first place?

I like Olympics (actually used to be crazy about it when I was a little girl, but eventually kind of grew out of it after I grew up.) and I love tennis. I just don’t like tennis in Olympics simply because, tennis is a strong individual sport itself and has 4 major tournaments where players get to rise and shine. And they happen each year as opposed to many sports in Olympics that happen every few years (so the importance of it is also very strong and justified). And that’s why tennis in Olympics is somewhat meaningless for me but many love it, so be it. I don’t have any problems with their views; similarly, they shouldn’t have any with mine.  A forum is all about different opinions after all.

Also, I love tennis because it allows me to broaden my horizon and like a player like Andy (or whoever) who happens to be British. So if I were to really dig into tennis Olympics-wise then I’d have to get 100% behind Raonic even in a final against Andy and that’s never going to happen, because my feelings aren’t mutual for these two, but if Andy (or Raonic) wins Olympics, then I’ll be very happy for him and his country. It’s just not an important tennis event for me.

I truly hope this time you see what I am saying; if not, then I’ll just leave it as is.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #51 on: June 26, 2012, 04:26 PM »

From Neil Harman  - Olympic wild cards for Baltacha and Keothavong in singles (a bit of local favoritism there). For Laura//Heather and Flem/Hutch in doubles

...and then a correction
Ooops, my mistake. Well done to Flem/Hutch for getting in on their own ranking. Fabulous achievement
[ Last edit by Elena June 26, 2012, 04:49 PM ] IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #52 on: June 26, 2012, 09:08 PM »

Yep, passed through my home town today:-

Lance Bombardier, Ben Parkinson, lost both legs and suffered brain and back injuries in a bomb attack in 2006.

Ben Parkinson, a Paratrooper who was injured in Afghanistan in 2006 and lost both legs below the knee, has walked with the torch through Doncaster.

He also broke his pelvis, his back in four places, shattered his arm and chest, as well as sustaining a massive brain injury in the bomb attack.

Flanked by hundreds of people, he walked for nearly half an hour with an assistant who supported his arm.

Day 39 of the torch relay began in Sheffield and ended in Cleethorpes.

Lance Bombardier Parkinson's nomination stated: "The brain injury took his speech, but not his personality and sense of humour," adding he now speaks unaided.

It said: "Determined to prove everyone wrong, he fought back every step of the way. Ben's intelligence and wit [are] unchanged. Still the same funny and caring Ben."

He spends 12 hours a day in the gym and rehab and walks with crutches, spending "the rest of his time spent raising money for many military charities and as patron of his beloved Pilgrim Bandits".

Major David Walker, his commanding officer, said he was in "absolute awe" of his colleague.

"I'm just about managing to keep it together," Major Walker told the BBC. "Ben's tenacity and sheer courage and determination is absolutely amazing."

A total of 130 torchbearers took part in the 39th day of the relay, covering 77 miles in generally good weather.

Doncaster Council said about 80,000 people turned out to see the torch in the town.

Well done Ben.  I know he's in the news quite a bit because he's had to fight for money to assist him with his care.
IP Logged
flowerpower
Challenger Level

Relax All is good!

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #53 on: June 30, 2012, 07:20 AM »

Since Fed will be no 2 in stead of Nadal , will he be seeded in the same half as Andy will for the Olympics ?
IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #54 on: July 08, 2012, 09:27 PM »

What do you guys think? Do you want andy to put 100% in and possibly win the Olympics or would you rather he puts in a 2008 type perfomance, lets the big guns tire themselves out, while he essentially focuses on his american hardcourt season and putting all his efforts into USO?

Its difficult cos its the London Olympics and I know Andy would love to win gold for Britain, I would too. but the Olympics isnt really about tennis, and Andy needs to win a slam...Novak, Fed and Rafa are all desperate to win the Olympics, but they all have slams. Andy dosent

IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #55 on: July 08, 2012, 09:39 PM »

If he won the Olympic gold, it'd be the worst thing to happen to his career.
IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #56 on: July 08, 2012, 10:12 PM »

I sort of agree. its not a great achevement in tennis. Nicolas Massu won the Olympics in 2004 - who? lol, rafa in 2008 - who then lost in semis of the US that year. If Andy wants to win the USO i dont think wining the Olympics is going to help him.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #57 on: July 08, 2012, 10:13 PM »

Can someone outline the process for the Olympic tennis - cba to check the lengthy regs - how big the draw, is it knockout or round robin,  best of three , 5 set final, etc etc?
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #58 on: July 08, 2012, 10:24 PM »

If he won the Olympic gold, it'd be the worst thing to happen to his career.
Because...
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #59 on: July 08, 2012, 10:26 PM »

I think Nigel is simply saying a gold medal would rank at the bottom of his achievements. But it did sound a bit like he was saying it would somehow be bad for his career.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 66 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »