Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy at Olympics 2012 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 66 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy at Olympics 2012

(Read 24127 times)
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #60 on: July 08, 2012, 10:42 PM »

I think Nigel is simply saying a gold medal would rank at the bottom of his achievements. But it did sound a bit like he was saying it would somehow be bad for his career.
Because...
IP Logged
Geo
Futures Level

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #61 on: July 08, 2012, 11:06 PM »

To answer your questions Fiverings.

The draw is 64, so 6 matches, no byes in the first round so it is the same kind of set up as Indian Wells and Miami where there is a day off in between the first and second round matches and the 8 last 16 matches take place on the same day.

It's best of three sets apart from the final which is best of 5.

There is a maximum of 4 players from each country so not all of the Spanish and French players that would normally be in a Masters 1000 tournament will be there.  Lopez and Granollers aren't playing and neither are Chardy and Benneteau because there are 4 players from those countries with a better ranking, Nadal, Ferrer, Tsonga, Simon etc.

The mens singles matches are on the following days.

The first round will be on Saturday 28th and Sunday 29th
Second round on Monday and Tuesday
Last 16 on Wednesday
Quarters on Thursday
Semis on Saturday
Final/ Bronze Medal Match on Sunday

The gold medalist will get 750 points, Silver 450, Bronze 340 and 4th place 270.  135 QF, 70 last 16,
35 second round and 5 for the first round.  The draw will take place on the Thursday.

Just like Wimbledon over the past 2 weeks play will begin at 11:30.
[ Last edit by Geo July 08, 2012, 11:15 PM ] IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #62 on: July 08, 2012, 11:12 PM »

Thanks Geo, that's first class.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #63 on: July 08, 2012, 11:13 PM »

Because...

Because he'll be remembered as the guy who couldn't win a slam and took home tinpot trophies... like the Olympics, a pseudo-big event and ultimate tinpot trophy.
IP Logged
Geo
Futures Level

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #64 on: July 08, 2012, 11:42 PM »

I don't think that Tennis Should be in the Olympics or Football, but he will never have a better chance to win it (that sounds familiar over the last 10 days) as the 2016 Olympics will probably be on Clay and it will be 2016. 

I think he should go all out to win it as he has won Toronto and Montreal in the last 3 years and he can concentrate on Cincinatti to get prepared for the USO.

It will just be his luck that he will probably win it by beating Federer in the final Under the Roof after beating Djokovic in the Semis and we will all say "why couldn't you have done that a month ago?" 

Or am I just so gutted and disappointed that he has lost yet another chance to win a Slam that I will take any crum of success at a Wimbledon event this summer.   
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #65 on: July 09, 2012, 12:02 AM »

I think there should be another event called the Paralytics, for athletes who are pissed. Now that'd be real achievement - you try doing the pole vault after 11 tequila sunrises.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #66 on: July 09, 2012, 02:01 PM »

I think he should go for it,
There's no need to train for it however he is a Wimbledon finalist. Just play well & get a medal for the country, it could spur him on to greater heights a la Novak's davis cup moment.
But I agree with the general consensus that it is of fleeting significance. Hopefully till the USO.
Im not complaining about Wimbledon having another tournament either & i believe this one shall be taken more seriously by the top players.
I'm looking forward to it in fact.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #67 on: July 09, 2012, 02:42 PM »

I think he should go for it too. And as Bill says, it may give him a big boost. Andy has always said he wants to win a medal, and he mentions it again in his BBC column today:
"Sunday was painful, but the prospect of attempting to win a gold medal is already spurring me on."
 When he comes to Toronto, he has less points to defend also.... so all in all I think this will be a good road toward the USO.

I wanted to share the Olympics tv ad we have here. Pause at 0:46 and you'll see why.

IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #68 on: July 09, 2012, 03:16 PM »

Because he'll be remembered as the guy who couldn't win a slam and took home tinpot trophies... like the Olympics, a pseudo-big event and ultimate tinpot trophy.
sorry don't agree, firstly we can't say ( the guy who couldn't win a slam) because we don't no that, I believe he will win more than one, also it would be a massive boost to win a medal , Andy has said so himself. He then will be able to put it in his trophey cabinet with his GS cups at the end of his career.  Very Happy
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #69 on: July 09, 2012, 03:25 PM »

Winning a gold medal would be an amazing achievement.  Tennis at the Olympics is much more focused and exposed now a days, and since it is Wimbledon it will have so much more publicity.  Personally I think that winning a medal at the Olympics would be somewhere near the achievement of winning a GS.  If Andy could win a medal  it would increase his confidence significantly.  Spurring him on to winning that first Grand slam.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #70 on: July 09, 2012, 03:25 PM »

I don't possibly see how winning the Olympics could possibly be a bad thing. Worst-case he misses/does poor in Toronto.

As it is people are talking as if he's the favourite. He's not, and as proven 4 years ago, anyone can beat anyone really depending on the motivation and circumstances.

I think we should just enjoy it however he does and not take it too seriously. Would be great if he wins it (for confidence more than anything) or gets a medal period, but not the end of the world if he doesn't.
IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #71 on: July 09, 2012, 03:29 PM »

I'm with Andy when he said the goal for him at the Olympics would be to win a medal in the doubles with his brother Jamie.  After yesterday I think Andy would be happier being involved in the doubles rather having the pressure of a singles title so soon.
IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #72 on: July 09, 2012, 03:34 PM »

I think there should be another event called the Paralytics, for athletes who are pissed. Now that'd be real achievement - you try doing the pole vault after 11 tequila sunrises.
Nigel, that is brilliant.   lmaoff
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #73 on: July 09, 2012, 03:57 PM »

I'm with Andy when he said the goal for him at the Olympics would be to win a medal in the doubles with his brother Jamie.  After yesterday I think Andy would be happier being involved in the doubles rather having the pressure of a singles title so soon.
This is a good point actually, I'd love to see them get a medal together.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #74 on: July 09, 2012, 04:47 PM »

Very droll, but the words athletes and pissed don't beling in any word association test I can think of!!  Except maybe Rugby. Or Darts.  Be a good student gig though.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 66 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »