Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy at Olympics 2012 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 [65] 66 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy at Olympics 2012

(Read 22427 times)
dex
Futures Level

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #960 on: August 14, 2012, 09:50 AM »

I think I'd have chosen the same moment and/or Andy's leap of joy when he returned to the court from his box.
It was almost Tsonga like
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #961 on: August 14, 2012, 09:55 AM »

The Guardian asked a number of its writers to select greatest moments from 2012.  Here is Kevin Mitchell's:
Murray finally wins at Wimbledon
Got to be Henry's Hug.  When the 11-year-old Henry Caplan, eyes welling up, rushed through the seats on Centre Court at W to hug Andy Murray after he'd beaten smugfed [made that up] to win the gold medalm sport went from theatre to humanity.  Henry told his startled father he 'had to go'. It was a spontaneous gesture that captured the emotion of the moment and told us something about the changing relationship between murray and tennis fans who have taken a while to warm to him.  If a small boy from Essex can embrace the Scot, surely the rest of the country can too. Even south of the border'.
I sure hope so.  I think I'd have chosen the same moment and/or Andy's leap of joy when he returned to the court from his box.

A couple of the dj's on radio 2 chose this moment hug  I think I'd be hard pressed to choose between the same as yourself Ruthie. Think
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #962 on: August 14, 2012, 10:24 AM »

Perhaps we should give them both gold medals Bev.  Both bring tears to my eyes.  goodman
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #963 on: August 14, 2012, 11:17 AM »

The Guardian asked a number of its writers to select greatest moments from 2012.  Here is Kevin Mitchell's:
Murray finally wins at Wimbledon
Got to be Henry's Hug.  When the 11-year-old Henry Caplan, eyes welling up, rushed through the seats on Centre Court at W to hug Andy Murray after he'd beaten smugfed [made that up] to win the gold medalm sport went from theatre to humanity.  Henry told his startled father he 'had to go'. It was a spontaneous gesture that captured the emotion of the moment and told us something about the changing relationship between murray and tennis fans who have taken a while to warm to him.  If a small boy from Essex can embrace the Scot, surely the rest of the country can too. Even south of the border'.
I sure hope so.  I think I'd have chosen the same moment and/or Andy's leap of joy when he returned to the court from his box.

I loved the hug with young Henry, but for me the golden (no pun intended) moment was the leap of joy. It looked to me as if Andy was waiting for Smugfed to be gone before he really celebrated, which was respectful and restrained of him in the circumstances, but then he let go, and it was wonderful.

Another moment was when he was on the podium. If you look closely, he suddenly smiled in the direction of the crowd on the one side (I wondered if he'd spotted Jamie or something) and the look on his face was priceless, it looked like a mixture of pride, disbelief, and 'aren't I clever?' all in one. I liked that one.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #964 on: August 14, 2012, 11:21 AM »

I've remembered another moment I meant to mention.

Did anyone notice the way McEnroe shook Andy's hand after the match? I was impressed, it seemed to be genuinely respectful. I would have loved to have heard what Mac said to him. The thing that really struck me though, was the way Mac looked Andy straight in the eye. I couldn't help feeling that this might be the time when even Mac thinks Andy has arrived, because I think he's had doubts about Andy in the past, certainly from a mental point of view.
IP Logged
hugoagogo69
Satellite Level

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #965 on: August 14, 2012, 01:09 PM »

Last night i noticed on my sky box i had recorded the final set, the after match inteviews & the medal ceremony. I completely forgot!!

It was nice to watch it again with a clearer head. It was smugfeds interview with Sue Barker that made me laugh when she asked about that game after Andy had broken him at the start of the third set. OOOOhhhhhh!! he wasn't have narky, eh!  haha
And the complete fake grin on his face when he was standing on his silver medal place next to Andy on the podium
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #966 on: August 14, 2012, 02:45 PM »

How could you forget that hugo69?  doh
 Unfortunately they didn't have the interviews on the special channel, which is what I'd recorded while at Wimbledon as thought it safer than BBC1 which looked like it was going to move between tennis and other sports.  Would love to have seen that interview with smugfed. Whistle
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #967 on: August 14, 2012, 05:00 PM »

Actually Johnny Mac was pulling for Andy big time Since Wimbledon. At Wimbledon final, before the match, he said, “I am so excited. I don't know about Andy but I couldn't sleep last night.”

At that point, I knew he wanted Andy to win and he openly admitted it while paying a lot of respect to Federer but he thought it was Andy's time to win and he was almost sure that Andy was going to win Wimbledon that fortnight. No wonder he came out to interview Andy after his Olympics gold medal win at Wimbledon. It didn't happen then but it did happen 28 days later and Johnny Mac looked and sounded incredibly happy after that win.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #968 on: August 14, 2012, 06:19 PM »

I remember that Johnny Mac said to Andy in his interview pre the Olympics final something like 'don't tell the other guy but I'm rooting for you to win'.  Although JM has sometimes been critical of Andy I think it's criticism borne of empathy with him.  I think he sees something of himself in Andy both in terms of talent and his emotions.  I remember him once saying something to the effect that Andy reminded him of himself at the net [said in a tone of mock false modesty].  I suspect he was disappointed that Andy never took him up on his offer of advising him.  And initially he was critical of Andy's decision to appoint Mr L, his bete noire.  But he's been big enough to admit he was wrong and that it was a good decision on Andy's part.  So it's really nice to see him being so positive about and respectul towards Andy now.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #969 on: August 14, 2012, 07:20 PM »

I thought it was so cute when JM said he couldn’t' sleep the night before just before Wimbledon final but that, at the same time, made me so very nervous because I thought, “and what if Andy doesn't win? Is he going to be very critical of him then?” That was very protective of me I must admit but he was actually quite nice throughout.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #970 on: August 14, 2012, 07:41 PM »

anyone watching sportnation    talking about all the scots at the Olympics.  Did a big bit on Andy.  I have recorded it Very Happy
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #971 on: August 14, 2012, 07:44 PM »

anyone watching sportnation    talking about all the scots at the Olympics.  Did a big bit on Andy.  I have recorded it Very Happy

Sky+ it, Sportnation is usually pretty good.
IP Logged
hugoagogo69
Satellite Level

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #972 on: August 15, 2012, 12:59 AM »

How could you forget that hugo69?  doh
 Unfortunately they didn't have the interviews on the special channel, which is what I'd recorded while at Wimbledon as thought it safer than BBC1 which looked like it was going to move between tennis and other sports.  Would love to have seen that interview with smugfed. Whistle

From my phone so sorry about the sound

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/T71LdePty4k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #973 on: August 15, 2012, 07:11 AM »

thanks hugo69 - sound was fine.   Ooh how lovely seeing him squirm.  He made it sound like he'd had this really tough draw.  And down to just a few points?  I don't think so!
IP Logged
hugoagogo69
Satellite Level

Re: Andy at Olympics 2012 « Reply #974 on: August 15, 2012, 08:36 AM »

I know, that made me laugh too, sayin it was a few points here or there. He was destroyed that day!!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 [65] 66 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »