Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs David Ferrer, Saturday, Time: 2pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy at Paris Masters 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] Go Down Reply
Author

Andy at Paris Masters

(Read 8591 times)
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy at Paris Masters « Reply #285 on: November 13, 2011, 05:25 PM »

Isner is a very tough opponent. The last two sets just yesterday were decided by a couple of TBs and it was a 3+ long hour match. This needs a recovery time. Remember how long a match it was for Andy at the USO? He did not even have a good 24 hours to recover from that match, while Nadal had a relatively easy match against Roddick, who's on the decline. We all know Andy would have had a similar easy round had the places been switched. But unfortunately things are panning out this way for a while now and mostly in Federer's favour no matter which tournament he enters. I think Andy’s quest to secure the #3 ranking for this year has somehow motivated Federer even more and he got the luck on his side as well. We’ll just have to wait and see how things end in the end.  Right now, WTF is more important for both Andy and Federer as they both want the ranking and the title. Last time, Federer capitalized Andy’s weakness and beat him fairly easily. He can’t let happen again. Andy must overcome that weakness and beat him this time. I know the home crowd makes it harder but if he can beat Nadal, Federer etc in front of the crowd, this will give him enormous confidence going into the new season. It’s a very tough task to perform especially in front of the home crowd, but it’s perfectly doable. He has all the tools to beat all these top players – will just have to put it all together mentally as well.
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Andy at Paris Masters « Reply #286 on: November 13, 2011, 07:33 PM »

Andy should still be 3 as WTF's point comes off tomorrow.Let's just cheer for Tsonga!
Thanks ilam, I was wondering why they did not mention Fed's ranking in the ATP artical when they said that Tsonga would be number 6 on Monday.
IP Logged
isabel

Re: Andy at Paris Masters « Reply #287 on: November 13, 2011, 07:50 PM »

With Fed winning Paris, he is understandably a slight favorite for the WTF's (with Nole's injury status opaque and Rafa having to play his way into form after such an extended layoff), but I think Andy has the best chance to win it this year. I'd like to see him avoid Berdy and Fish in the group standings. If Andy can just gut out a win against Rafa, Fed or Nole, it really would do his confidence the world of good especially as he has no precedent of beating them in front of a home crowd. I hope that he can secure the No. 3 ranking even if he does not end up winning the tournament. But winning it would really define his year as conclusively positive; though he hasn't won the big one yet, his consistency has improved so much and if he can carry that into the next season, well then...we should see him with a slam trophy held aloft next year.
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Andy at Paris Masters « Reply #288 on: November 14, 2011, 12:38 AM »

Isner is a very tough opponent. The last two sets just yesterday were decided by a couple of TBs and it was a 3+ long hour match. This needs a recovery time. Remember how long a match it was for Andy at the USO? He did not even have a good 24 hours to recover from that match, while Nadal had a relatively easy match against Roddick, who's on the decline. We all know Andy would have had a similar easy round had the places been switched. But unfortunately things are panning out this way for a while now and mostly in Federer's favour no matter which tournament he enters. I think Andy’s quest to secure the #3 ranking for this year has somehow motivated Federer even more and he got the luck on his side as well. We’ll just have to wait and see how things end in the end.  Right now, WTF is more important for both Andy and Federer as they both want the ranking and the title. Last time, Federer capitalized Andy’s weakness and beat him fairly easily. He can’t let happen again. Andy must overcome that weakness and beat him this time. I know the home crowd makes it harder but if he can beat Nadal, Federer etc in front of the crowd, this will give him enormous confidence going into the new season. It’s a very tough task to perform especially in front of the home crowd, but it’s perfectly doable. He has all the tools to beat all these top players – will just have to put it all together mentally as well.

Your comments are fair and astute, Emma.

It's my belief that if Andy can win at o2 or at the very least make the final, then not only will he retain his no 3 standing but it will give him a mass of confidence going into 2012, especially if he were to win the entire proceedings.

All he has to do is beat Djokovic (with his troublesome shoulder), Nadal (low on confidence and not match aware) and Federer (arrogant s**t). This should not be any problem for Andy. Let's hope that all his niggles will have dissipated and he plays as he did in the Far East tourneys.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy at Paris Masters « Reply #289 on: November 14, 2011, 01:07 AM »

Disappointed but not surprised that Mr Smug won Paris title.  Tsonga couldn't have had much left in the tank after his match against Isner.

However, from the tournament website -

Roger Federer shared Sunday that he didn’t have the best sleep coming into his first BNP Paribas Masters final, and it wasn’t just because he was anxious about winning the title at this ATP World Tour Masters 1000 tournament. The Swiss, a father to two-year-old twins, was given a 4am wake-up call by his daughter.

“It happened many times that she wakes me up in the night this year, but I was not 25 times in the final,” he said. “I was hoping that during the night it would go well, but suddenly I was running with Mirka in the room to see if everything was okay. And she said, ‘Let's take her in our bed.’  I said, ‘Okay, let's do that.’ I didn't even question this. I just said okay. I can't have a fight at 4:00 in the morning with her.”

All was forgiven after Federer went on defeat Frenchman Jo-Wilfried Tsonga 6-1, 7-6(3) to win his second title in as many weeks. “In the end, it was all right. I am happy,” he said with a laugh. “It happened several times this week, so maybe it's a good sign.”
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Andy at Paris Masters « Reply #290 on: November 14, 2011, 08:05 AM »

Andy would have to play very badly and Fed very well, for there to be a change in rankings, is my understanding.
I think we can hope for him to reach the semis at least. Last year he was so inconsistent, demolished Ferrer, collapsed v Fed, rose again v Rafa.
Hope for more consistency this year.
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Andy at Paris Masters « Reply #291 on: November 14, 2011, 10:32 AM »

Well to be honest I didn't think Fed played great tennis yesterday, as Tsonga's game was quite poor. I know Tsonga would have been tired, but he missed so many opportunities, and made some wrong shot making. I thought it was quite a boring final.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Andy at Paris Masters « Reply #292 on: November 14, 2011, 12:17 PM »

Agreed CM.  In fact, I though all Fed's matches in Paris were quite boring!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »