Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy at the Aegon Championships 2013 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy at the Aegon Championships 2013

(Read 11043 times)
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Andy at the Aegon Championships 2013 « Reply #345 on: June 12, 2013, 01:58 PM »

Still raining and horrible

Not at Queens. I'm watching the Berdych/de Bakker match right now. Berdych serving in 2nd set at 2-3.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Andy at the Aegon Championships 2013 « Reply #346 on: June 12, 2013, 02:03 PM »

This event is amazingly well supported, for a 250 event that gets this many spectators it should be bumped up to 500, i've watched 250 events before and during the week there's usually a handful of people watching if they are lucky, it looks packed out here.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Andy at the Aegon Championships 2013 « Reply #347 on: June 12, 2013, 02:13 PM »

Dimitrov, and Raonic to be fair, are both still young. In this era they have time. It's tough for them to break through, and let's not forget Hewitt is hardly shabby on grass. He did win Queen's four times and that other grass tournament in London.

I'd rather watch Dimitrov than Raonic personally, but they could both be big in the future, when Dimitrov figures it all out and Raonic learns that he relies too much in that big serve and needs tools to back it up. He also needs to be a bit more imaginative. Tennis is not a maths problem he is trying to solve.

I think the problem for both of them is that Andy, Novak and Rafa are going to be around for the majority of the peak years of their careers, and when they retire, then there will be a new generation of talent coming through. Both can probably get into the top 10 in the next few years, but I'm not sure whether they'll be slam winners. At the moment I'd say Dimitrov has more potential than Raonic due to Raonic's return game being so poor, but at the same time one-handed backhands are quite easy to overpower and force errors out of in today's game.

I think Nishikori may end up being more successful than both of them - he's at a career high ranking of 13 this week. It's strange how little he is talked about in the media considering he's had many top 10 wins - over Djokovic, Federer, Ferrer, Berdych, and Tsonga. He doesn't get half the hype of Dimitrov, Raonic and Tomic but yet he's had the most success in his career so far, including the deepest runs in slams.
IP Logged
snorkel.maiden
Junior

Re: Andy at the Aegon Championships 2013 « Reply #348 on: June 12, 2013, 02:15 PM »

Berdy is about to serve for it.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Andy at the Aegon Championships 2013 « Reply #349 on: June 12, 2013, 02:17 PM »

Well Berdych won, so Andy soon  yay
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Andy at the Aegon Championships 2013 « Reply #350 on: June 12, 2013, 04:44 PM »

Wow - just saw Dan Evans beat Nieminen and plays Delpo next!

Dan Evans is a very, very good player. He really needs to work harder. He could be very fine indeed, not an Andy, we've got one of those, but a fair old Dan Evans. Even if he loses to Delpo he's still done well.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Andy at the Aegon Championships 2013 « Reply #351 on: June 12, 2013, 04:53 PM »

I think the problem for both of them is that Andy, Novak and Rafa are going to be around for the majority of the peak years of their careers, and when they retire, then there will be a new generation of talent coming through. Both can probably get into the top 10 in the next few years, but I'm not sure whether they'll be slam winners. At the moment I'd say Dimitrov has more potential than Raonic due to Raonic's return game being so poor, but at the same time one-handed backhands are quite easy to overpower and force errors out of in today's game.

I think Nishikori may end up being more successful than both of them - he's at a career high ranking of 13 this week. It's strange how little he is talked about in the media considering he's had many top 10 wins - over Djokovic, Federer, Ferrer, Berdych, and Tsonga. He doesn't get half the hype of Dimitrov, Raonic and Tomic but yet he's had the most success in his career so far, including the deepest runs in slams.

I think you're spot on about the current players. Even if Federer goes and Nadal's career, as it still could be, is curtailed by his knees, Andy and Djokovic, all things being equal, will not be disappearing any time soon. It's going to continue to be tough for everyone below them. The way I see Dimitrov is that he's still very much still finding his feet, working out his game and how he wants to do things. I get the feeling that when he clicks, when he finds himself, if you like, he could be brilliant. I can't make up my mind about Raonic. The potential is there, but I think he's one of those that more and more players will get on to.

I'd love Nishikori to push on. He is vastly under-rated in my view. I love watching him. Could he do with some bigger weapons though? That said, the way he beat Raonic in Japan last year was very impressive. Didn't he beat Berdych in the previous round. I won't mention who Raonic beat - but that player did have match points lol.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Andy at the Aegon Championships 2013 « Reply #352 on: June 12, 2013, 06:43 PM »

I think you're spot on about the current players. Even if Federer goes and Nadal's career, as it still could be, is curtailed by his knees, Andy and Djokovic, all things being equal, will not be disappearing any time soon. It's going to continue to be tough for everyone below them. The way I see Dimitrov is that he's still very much still finding his feet, working out his game and how he wants to do things. I get the feeling that when he clicks, when he finds himself, if you like, he could be brilliant. I can't make up my mind about Raonic. The potential is there, but I think he's one of those that more and more players will get on to.

I'd love Nishikori to push on. He is vastly under-rated in my view. I love watching him. Could he do with some bigger weapons though? That said, the way he beat Raonic in Japan last year was very impressive. Didn't he beat Berdych in the previous round. I won't mention who Raonic beat - but that player did have match points lol.

I think with Nishikori, his game is based more on timing than raw power. His game reminds me a lot of Davydenko in the way he likes to take the ball early and time the ball well to generate good pace. His serve though is attackable, but it's always difficult for shorter players to be able to generate pace off their first serve. His main problem seems to be injuries - if he can stay injury-free over the next year, then I think he'll make it into the top 10. Hope he does - he's worked so hard over the last few years to improve his ranking.

I agree with you about Dimitrov's potential. When he's in form, he's really good to watch - I like the variety in his game. His problem has been consistency, but he improved on that during the clay season. I do wish the media didn't hype him quite so much though. I'm sure the reason they do this is because his game is similar to Federer's - but it just adds pressure for him imo.
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Andy at the Aegon Championships 2013 « Reply #353 on: June 12, 2013, 06:47 PM »

Wow - just saw Dan Evans beat Nieminen and plays Delpo next!
Yes great news isnt it Elena ?
D.Evans (GBR) def. J.Nieminen (FIN) [13]
Men's Singles - 2nd Round
6-4 66-78 6-4
IP Logged
audie
Futures Level

my guilty ppleasure

Re: Andy at the Aegon Championships 2013 « Reply #354 on: June 12, 2013, 06:54 PM »

what happens now if there is no more play tonight .will andy have to play twice tom ,seems bit unfair
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: Andy at the Aegon Championships 2013 « Reply #355 on: June 12, 2013, 06:55 PM »

what happens now if there is no more play tonight .will andy have to play twice tom ,seems bit unfair

There is no play now until the morning, yes, he will place twice.
IP Logged
benniebone
ATP Level

Re: Andy at the Aegon Championships 2013 « Reply #356 on: June 13, 2013, 11:38 AM »

There seems to be 2 threads going on Queen's Tsonga and Vasselin are playing at the moment and Murray's match follows He is then hopefully scheduled to play at no5 up tonight
  The weather is not great but we actually have sunshine at the moment so London's weather should improve
IP Logged
benniebone
ATP Level

Re: Andy at the Aegon Championships 2013 « Reply #357 on: June 13, 2013, 11:57 AM »

Tsonga is 6-3  and 2 all in the second set
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Andy at the Aegon Championships 2013 « Reply #358 on: June 13, 2013, 12:04 PM »

On the other thread I just said they have light rain at Queen's. Play is carrying on, but JWT looked none too happy just now.

ERV has decided to play in the second set, so Andy could have a wait yet.

I'd bet good money on Queen's finishing on Monday unless the weather improves dramatically.

It's amazing, the crowd at Queen's in coats and all sorts. It's June, but they said it's very cold there, feels like February apparently. Mind you, I was out on Saturday in Warwick and it was freezing! Stupid weather!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Andy at the Aegon Championships 2013 « Reply #359 on: June 13, 2013, 12:09 PM »

I hope Jo hasn't injured his hand just now. He slipped at Queen's last year and hurt his hand as I recall. That was partly why he lost early.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »