Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy at the Aegon Championships 2013 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 28 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Andy at the Aegon Championships 2013  (Read 9044 times)
Connor
World No 1

Andy at the Aegon Championships 2013 « on: June 05, 2013, 09:11 PM »

The red stuff has blown over and we are heading rapidly onto the green grass of London for the Aegon Championships at Queens Club. Andy leads the field as the No. 1 seed, and being victorious here twice in 2009 and 2011 will give him the extra confidence to run away with the title. This will be Andy's only grass court event until Wimbledon and his first coming back from the back injury that kept him out of the second Grand Slam of the year.

The draw has not been released yet, but it will be no easy ride for Andy, as the field is very dangerous with players such as Berdych, Tsonga and Cilic, who is the defending champion after last year's intense final, all threatening to hinder Andy's grass court preparations.

SEEDS:
1. Andy Murray
2. Tomas Berdych
3. Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
4. Juan Martin del Potro
5. Marin Cilic
6. Sam Querrey
7. Kevin Anderson
8. Alexandr Dolgopolov
9. Benoit Paire
10. Grigor Dimitrov
11. Julien Benneteau
12. Lukas Rosol
13. Jarkko Nieminen
14. Denis Istomin
15. Pablo Andujar
16. Grega Zemlja
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Andy at the Aegon Championships 2013 « Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 09:18 PM »

Not expecting too much at this tournament for Andy, don't want to see him doing any damage to that back of his.  A couple of warm up games and then concentrate on Wimbledon, if you were reading into the tweets and Facebook etc he appears to sound pretty upbeat.  As long as he is fit and 100% fit for Wimbledon and is back that will do me.  Could do with a "happy" distraction just now Andy......
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Andy at the Aegon Championships 2013 « Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 06:57 AM »

We mustn't forget the saying which has been around for ever ' win Queens and do not win Wimby', and last year when he went out to Mahut.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Andy at the Aegon Championships 2013 « Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 12:09 PM »

"robstewart ‏@robstewart
Henman /Murray hitting a few balls at Queen's. Funny stuff."

IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

You mesmerize me, Andy

Re: Andy at the Aegon Championships 2013 « Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 06:57 PM »

Murray back on the grass at the Aegon Championships.

IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Andy at the Aegon Championships 2013 « Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 07:16 PM »

I think in many ways that a couple of matches will do for Queen's. I just don't think Andy will see it like that. I don't think he would enter without trying to win. It just isn't in his nature. All that happened last year was that Mahut caught him cold and Mahut was inspired. Credit where it's due, Mahut is good on the grass.

I can't see Tsonga having a great Queen's, not after his RG exploits. I think that will take him a while to recover from, regardless of how the semi and/or final might go for him.

Personally I'd love Andy to beat (well, knock seven bells out of actually) Berdych in the final. I could see that, grass being Andy's surface.

I've said it before, I have the strangest feeling Andy is going to do the double. I'm sticking to that.

Andy getting Nieminen in his opening round would be helpful lol.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Top Seed

Re: Andy at the Aegon Championships 2013 « Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 08:38 PM »

I think in many ways that a couple of matches will do for Queen's. I just don't think Andy will see it like that. I don't think he would enter without trying to win. It just isn't in his nature. All that happened last year was that Mahut caught him cold and Mahut was inspired. Credit where it's due, Mahut is good on the grass.

I can't see Tsonga having a great Queen's, not after his RG exploits. I think that will take him a while to recover from, regardless of how the semi and/or final might go for him.

Personally I'd love Andy to beat (well, knock seven bells out of actually) Berdych in the final. I could see that, grass being Andy's surface.

I've said it before, I have the strangest feeling Andy is going to do the double. I'm sticking to that.

Andy getting Nieminen in his opening round would be helpful lol.

Do not underestimate Berdych on grass though, I would also say grass is his best surface.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Andy at the Aegon Championships 2013 « Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 09:13 PM »

Do not underestimate Berdych on grass though, I would also say grass is his best surface.

You think so? Mmmm. I know he got to the Wimbles final in 2010, but has he done much since. He was awful at the Olympics and Wimbles last year, really awful. Of course, his form can come and go, so he's tough to predict.

I just think Andy is better than Berdych on the grass. Whereas on clay Berdych is a pain, I'd fancy Andy in a clash on grass.
IP Logged
drchef
Challenger Level

"Corey, Trevor.....Smokes, let's go!"

Re: Andy at the Aegon Championships 2013 « Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 09:23 PM »

SEEDS:
1. Andy Murray
2. Tomas Berdych
3. Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
4. Juan Martin del Potro
5. Marin Cilic
6. Sam Querrey
7. Kevin Anderson
8. Alexandr Dolgopolov
9. Benoit Paire
10. Grigor Dimitrov
11. Julien Benneteau
12. Lukas Rosol
13. Jarkko Nieminen
14. Denis Istomin
15. Pablo Andujar
16. Grega Zemlja

That is one hell of a strong field for Queens!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Andy at the Aegon Championships 2013 « Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 09:44 PM »

anyone know when the draw is?
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Andy at the Aegon Championships 2013 « Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 09:45 PM »

You think so? Mmmm. I know he got to the Wimbles final in 2010, but has he done much since. He was awful at the Olympics and Wimbles last year, really awful. Of course, his form can come and go, so he's tough to predict.

I just think Andy is better than Berdych on the grass. Whereas on clay Berdych is a pain, I'd fancy Andy in a clash on grass.
Well, Berdych had his annual first round loss in a slam at the French this year, so should last a few at Wimbledon, but still no guarantees.  If he gets to the stage where he plays Andy, he's playing well, but the same will go for Andy.  Berdych seemed to be suggesting that he was keen to play at Queens as he wants the best possible practice for Wimbledon, so it sounds as if he's keen to take it seriously this year.

Obviously, Andy will want to win Queens, and despite some decent competition, it should be his for the taking, but it is possible he'll not be playing at 100% from the get go.  That should be enough to see him through a few rounds, but there's definitely a few in the draw who could do some damage.

There shouldn't be too much pressure on Andy this year.  Apart from coming back from injury and everyone being delighted he's in the draw, he can't do worse than last year!  Even if he does terribly, the doom and gloom merchants can't take anything from it, as he did so well at Wimbledon, lol.

Does anyone know if Delpo has confirmed he's over his bug?  If he's taking part, he'd probably want to be travelling around about now.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Andy at the Aegon Championships 2013 « Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 02:40 AM »

The only player i remember winning the Queen's and Wimbledon double in the same year was Rafa back in 2008. I think Hewitt must have done it also, he used to win Queens on a regular basis in the early noughties.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Andy at the Aegon Championships 2013 « Reply #12 on: June 07, 2013, 08:28 AM »

I think a few have done the double, but it is very few. I know Roddick missed out on the double more than once, having won Queen's and then losing in the Wimbles final.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Andy at the Aegon Championships 2013 « Reply #13 on: June 07, 2013, 12:15 PM »

I think the point is that lately most of the people who won Wimbledon weren't playing at Queens that year. 
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy at the Aegon Championships 2013 « Reply #14 on: June 07, 2013, 02:23 PM »

We mustn't forget the saying which has been around for ever ' win Queens and do not win Wimby', and last year when he went out to Mahut.
Nadal's won both, as have the likes of Becker and Connors in the past I believe.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 28 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »