Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy at the Aegon Championships 2013 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy at the Aegon Championships 2013

(Read 10183 times)
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Andy at the Aegon Championships 2013 « Reply #375 on: June 13, 2013, 05:35 PM »

But this is grass, isn't it? Hence the question? Igor has no credential on grass.

When you learn more about current tennis, get back to us. Igor is dangerous on grass.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy at the Aegon Championships 2013 « Reply #376 on: June 13, 2013, 05:48 PM »

But this is grass, isn't it? Hence the question? Igor has no credential on grass.
Doesn't mean he's any weaker on it. Just never been ranked high enough to play the ATP grass tournaments before.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy at the Aegon Championships 2013 « Reply #377 on: June 13, 2013, 05:48 PM »

When you learn more about current tennis, get back to us. Igor is dangerous on grass.

Right. I really need to learn about current tennis.  Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Andy at the Aegon Championships 2013 « Reply #378 on: June 13, 2013, 05:49 PM »

Right. I really need to learn about current tennis.  Rolling Eyes

lol Cmon Emma, sense of humour and all.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy at the Aegon Championships 2013 « Reply #379 on: June 13, 2013, 05:52 PM »

Doesn't mean he's any weaker on it. Just never been ranked high enough to play the ATP grass tournaments before.

Ranking comes with performance. Anyway, Tsonga shouldn't have struggled that much against him on grass - not that the higher ranked players always give their best performance on a daily basis, which can then make the other player really good. 
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Andy at the Aegon Championships 2013 « Reply #380 on: June 13, 2013, 07:40 PM »

I switched over to Eurosport when the coverage on the BBC finished. Crofty and Rusedski think Tsonga is tired after the French and so on. I have to say I can see where they are coming from in a way. Tsonga hammered Federer and was hyped in France. He came out against Ferrer like a shadow himself and got fairly well pasted. He was booed off court by his own countrymen - okay, that bit sounds familiar. However, it must have taken a lot out of Jo. If he makes it through the tournament I have a feeling Andy will kill him in the semi's, if Andy stays in his current form especially.

The only thing that was sort of amusing about what Crofty was saying in particular, was that I thought she was going to burst into tears over Tsonga. If it was Andy she would have been saying he had no reason to be tired etc, he just had to get on with it. While I can see what she was saying, all that fawning sympathy was revolting.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Andy at the Aegon Championships 2013 « Reply #381 on: June 13, 2013, 10:54 PM »

^ I saw that bit too - thought all the points they made re why Tsonga could be tired were very valid - but as you say, Croft gets all over exaggerated. It's like she feels she must not appear biased in order to seem to be a good reporter so goes to the opposite extremes by being negative about Andy and ott about everyone else.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Andy at the Aegon Championships 2013 « Reply #382 on: June 13, 2013, 11:53 PM »

^ I saw that bit too - thought all the points they made re why Tsonga could be tired were very valid - but as you say, Croft gets all over exaggerated. It's like she feels she must not appear biased in order to seem to be a good reporter so goes to the opposite extremes by being negative about Andy and ott about everyone else.
You've hit the nail on the head there.  I think we can be quite obsessed with being fair and sporting here in the UK that some people end up over-doing their "objectivity", and feel obliged to say something negative, just to prove it.

I'd say it's fair to be understanding towards Tsonga and why he'd be tired, same as they were pointing out that Delpo would be rusty and vulnerable.  They are just less self-conscious about it, and the general public doesn't get their knickers in a twist because a Brit commentator "makes excuses" for any other top player not being constantly at the top of their form.  I think the same goes for a lot of the public.  They are caught up with the notion that British commentators will inevitably suck up to Brit players, so just don't believe they are sincere, so they don't believe Andy is as good as they say, then they give them a hard time etc.

Half of them don't watch enough tennis to know that the commentators say nice things about all of the top players, or if they do, they assume it must be fair, so it doesn't register.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Andy at the Aegon Championships 2013 « Reply #383 on: June 14, 2013, 08:26 AM »

Does anyone know what times the semis and final will be played should Andy make it? I need to plan my weekend Smile
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Andy at the Aegon Championships 2013 « Reply #384 on: June 14, 2013, 11:32 AM »

Andy's column for BBC sport

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/22898630
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Andy at the Aegon Championships 2013 « Reply #385 on: June 14, 2013, 12:07 PM »

£1750 donation from Ross to Rally for Cancer yesterday: "Andy going so strong in his 2 singles wins, Jamie with 2 great dubs wins and Colin & Jonny with 1 win today! so good to have boys winning!"

He's also paid £1,000 for Dan's two wins. He's giving £500 for singles wins, £250 for doubles. Colin has tweeted he'll give 10% of his prize money.

Also on the justgiving page, http://www.justgiving.com/RallyAgainstCancer2013

Anonymous donation of £20,000! With our grateful thanks for all of the support given by Royal Marsden during this difficult time for Ross. Your excellent work in taking care of this exceptional young man is very much appreciated

£3138 donation: Good luck from RADO Switzerland - Official Timekeeper of the Aegon Championships - and for the charity match!

Anonymous donation of £10,000 has been made

£51,000 raised so far. I really hope the weather forecast for Sunday is wrong
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: Andy at the Aegon Championships 2013 « Reply #386 on: June 14, 2013, 12:09 PM »

I see the gnome is surprised by the crowd support at Queen's, it being only a 250 point tournament
You must remember that it is a high society event   Queens is the start of the " Season"  the tennis is secondary and is the entertainment   for people who just want to be seen there This is followed by The Trooping of the Colour ,Ascot Racing, Wimbledon and Henley Regatta
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Andy at the Aegon Championships 2013 « Reply #387 on: June 14, 2013, 12:36 PM »

I see the gnome is surprised by the crowd support at Queen's, it being only a 250 point tournament
You must remember that it is a high society event   Queens is the start of the " Season"  the tennis is secondary and is the entertainment   for people who just want to be seen there This is followed by The Trooping of the Colour ,Ascot Racing, Wimbledon and Henley Regatta

I never said i was surprised by it, i said that the support it gets for a 250 event puts other similar events to shame and the reasons you mentioned are the reasons it should be a 500 tournament, the facilities etc are fantastic.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Andy at the Aegon Championships 2013 « Reply #388 on: June 14, 2013, 04:10 PM »

Yes they are Connor but remember the people who are members are loaded and not many ordinary working people will be members something like Wimbledon. As benniebone says it is the "season" when all the so called sports fans come out for the "Season" it is more of a social event for the upper classes.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Andy at the Aegon Championships 2013 « Reply #389 on: June 14, 2013, 04:14 PM »

Yes they are Connor but remember the people who are members are loaded and not many ordinary working people will be members something like Wimbledon. As benniebone says it is the "season" when all the so called sports fans come out for the "Season" it is more of a social event for the upper classes.

Huh? Do you mean Gnome, Margaret?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »