Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy at the Australian Open 2013 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: The draw is out and Andy is on Fed's side of the draw.  How far will he get?
Eliminated in the first round. - 1 (2.4%)
Scraped through the 1st round but can't make it through the 2nd. - 0 (0%)
On court for Bev to see who witnesses his 3rd round exit. - 0 (0%)
Nightmares from 2007 are upon us again as Andy goes out in the 4th round. - 0 (0%)
Uncharted territory as Andy goes out in QF's. - 4 (9.8%)
Heartbreak again as Andy falls short in the SF's. - 0 (0%)
Goes through the No.2 seed but falls at the final hurdle. - 3 (7.3%)
Ye of little faith!  AO Champion! - 33 (80.5%)
Total Voters: 41

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 30 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy at the Australian Open 2013

(Read 13254 times)
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Andy at the Australian Open 2013 « Reply #75 on: January 10, 2013, 12:42 AM »

From the official Australian Open site:-

SWOT #26 Andy Murray
Thursday, 10 January, 2013
By Matt Trollope

The Scot finally delivered on his enormous promise and potential in 2012, winning his first Grand Slam title at the US Open and ending a much-publicised 76-year drought of male British major winners. With that enormous weight lifted from his shoulders, do bigger things lie ahead in 2013?

Strengths: Murray’s strength arguably lies in the fact that he has no obvious weaknesses. Dependable groundstrokes, excellent court coverage, an underrated serve and command over every shot in the book make the world No.3 a threat on any surface against any opponent. Teaming with Ivan Lendl in 2012 also helped the Scot develop a more aggressive mindset and tap into once under-utilised reserves of power.

Weaknesses: Unlike his Big Four rivals, taking command of points does not come naturally to Murray. This can lead to him getting embroiled in unnecessarily long, grinding Grand Slam matches that sap his strength and stamina, which has been suspect over the years. And although he has shown an improved ability in channelling negative emotions, periods of malaise, scowling, swearing and generally bad body language can give opponents the mental edge.

Opportunities: Now that the monkey is off his back and the belief continues to grow, Murray could very well add to his major tally. The slow hard courts of Melbourne Park are simply tailor-made for his game, and a Grand Slam-winning performance could position him within striking distance of an assault on the No.1 ranking, which would cap an extraordinary 12 months in the Scot's flourishing career.

Threats: In the last 12 Grand Slam tournaments he’s contested, Murray has lost to a player outside the top four just three times. So like every member of the Big Four, his main threat is the others in that elite group. While Murray is yet to taste success Down Under, Federer, Nadal and Djokovic all have the knowledge of what it takes to win at Melbourne Park and the confidence that comes from doing so.

Craig Tiley, Australian Open tournament director
“Murray’s gotten over the hump of winning a Grand Slam, so that pressure is off him now. Had Djokovic not won the ATP World Tour Finals I’d say that Murray would be coming in as the hottest player. As a finalist here, he’s got something to prove.”

* SWOT - Andy Murray.JPG (50.74 KB, 802x504 - viewed 71 times.)
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy at the Australian Open 2013 « Reply #76 on: January 10, 2013, 01:08 AM »

^ Thanks Bev.  Re "Threats" - has it escaped Mr Trollope's notice that F, N & D also had the knowledge of what it takes to win at Flushing Meadows? Whistle

[ Last edit by Aileen January 10, 2013, 04:01 AM ] IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy at the Australian Open 2013 « Reply #77 on: January 10, 2013, 01:23 AM »

And that Nadal isn't even there! confused
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy at the Australian Open 2013 « Reply #78 on: January 10, 2013, 02:46 AM »

And that Nadal isn't even there! confused
Umm - indeed!  I think it just goes to show though how much the idea of the (former) Big Three has got firmly fixed in so many people's minds.
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Andy at the Australian Open 2013 « Reply #79 on: January 10, 2013, 03:21 AM »

This isn't the poll I wanted XD
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy at the Australian Open 2013 « Reply #80 on: January 10, 2013, 04:06 AM »

I don't care about the conditions. I've just picked up a vibe in his mentality - that it isn't quite where it should be and I have a feeling it's going to be a stumbling block for him.
Interesting.  So when did you pick this vibe up?  Recently?  (if so, then I think my comments @11:29 pm yesterday could apply), or since his USO win?
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy at the Australian Open 2013 « Reply #81 on: January 10, 2013, 04:08 AM »

This isn't the poll I wanted XD

When the draw comes out, I will amend the poll fish
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Andy at the Australian Open 2013 « Reply #82 on: January 10, 2013, 06:03 AM »

Interesting.  So when did you pick this vibe up?  Recently?  (if so, then I think my comments @11:29 pm yesterday could apply), or since his USO win?
I picked it up during the WTF, to me he didn't look very confident at all while he was there and I don't think Andy is completely happy with his game right now. On the other hand that win in Brisbane has probably helped his confidence a lot - but I still think there will be a bit of a mental block at this slam.

Right now I would put a bet on Andy getting further at the French than AO this year.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Andy at the Australian Open 2013 « Reply #83 on: January 10, 2013, 08:41 AM »

I never take any notice of vibes.....they are more than likely to be linked to the person picking them up and the way they are feeling. Let's just wait and see who he get's in the draw and how he plays in the early matches. I know he will be trying to win the AO for Ross and for himself as well.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Andy at the Australian Open 2013 « Reply #84 on: January 10, 2013, 09:07 AM »

I'm having a bad feeling about the AO this year. I'm predicting Andy to go out early, before the QF at least. It won't be too much of a loss if he does though, he's had an amazing run in the last 8 really.

Are you Boogers alt account ?
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Andy at the Australian Open 2013 « Reply #85 on: January 10, 2013, 09:11 AM »

prodigy what's your obsession with this young Donald? Lol  confused

Ha ha, I've decided to support him (not of much as Andy of course) for fun. Erratic player and went on a 17 game losing streak last year but did have potential. Probably will never do anything but he'll make me laugh Wink
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Andy at the Australian Open 2013 « Reply #86 on: January 10, 2013, 09:52 AM »

It will all be washed out in the laundry!!!And Andy will come out shining white and a GS winner. hug
IP Logged
bes03_philippines
Satellite Level

game, set, match!

Re: Andy at the Australian Open 2013 « Reply #87 on: January 10, 2013, 10:29 AM »

Is it just me or what? Andy is looking extra fine. So ripped on those Adidas Oz kit Smile
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Andy at the Australian Open 2013 « Reply #88 on: January 10, 2013, 10:53 AM »

I often go into GSs with 'feeling' that Andy will go out in an early round - the more so the bigger the hype round him.  It's my eeyorish way of coping with the stress of a GS fortnight.  nervous
Not sure how much I'll be able to watch of this as in London some of the time without access to it on tv (or pc during night) and got a really busy few weeks coming up anyway.  But hoping can see the key matches.
Am worried for all the players by the weather.  I read that it's due to get yet hotter again in S Australia.  I think we could see some people collapsing.
The one thing I'd dispute in that SWOT analysis is the suggestion that Andy's stamina has been suspect in recent years.  Yes in his early years but in recent years most comms commend his stamina and fitness and the work he's done to achieve them.
IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Re: Andy at the Australian Open 2013 « Reply #89 on: January 10, 2013, 11:22 AM »

I'm having a bad feeling about the AO this year. I'm predicting Andy to go out early, before the QF at least. It won't be too much of a loss if he does though, he's had an amazing run in the last 8 really.

I disagree completely.  I think Andy has developed the ability to "win ugly" when required - something he hasn't always been able to do.

I think he's going all the way.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 30 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »