Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy at the Australian Open 2013 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: The draw is out and Andy is on Fed's side of the draw.  How far will he get?
Eliminated in the first round. - 1 (2.4%)
Scraped through the 1st round but can't make it through the 2nd. - 0 (0%)
On court for Bev to see who witnesses his 3rd round exit. - 0 (0%)
Nightmares from 2007 are upon us again as Andy goes out in the 4th round. - 0 (0%)
Uncharted territory as Andy goes out in QF's. - 4 (9.8%)
Heartbreak again as Andy falls short in the SF's. - 0 (0%)
Goes through the No.2 seed but falls at the final hurdle. - 3 (7.3%)
Ye of little faith!  AO Champion! - 33 (80.5%)
Total Voters: 41

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 ... 30 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy at the Australian Open 2013

(Read 15901 times)
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Andy at the Australian Open 2013 « Reply #345 on: January 15, 2013, 09:15 PM »

Your friendship is more important, Dani.

We will all still be here when you get back, with lots of photos/videos etc. for you to fill yer boots with.

Have a great time. Smile

Thanks so much Scotnadian,that's so sweet of you  hug

Yep,I'll be glued to this site when I get back catching up on everything I missed!Here's to there being lots of lovely pics/articles/vids etc featuring a happy Andy doing lots of winning for me to come back to  yay
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Andy at the Australian Open 2013 « Reply #346 on: January 15, 2013, 10:00 PM »

Bit tired already of hearing both the Oz media and Tomic over hype Tomic. He never achieved any major Junior titles...and has only won a complete diddy of a tournament in Sydney his first ATP title. He beat Djoko recently ...coz Djoko was only playing in 1st gear thus avoiding injury and tiredness.

Murray reached world top 10 status before he was 20 and reached  a career high world no2 at age 22. Thats more impressive....and Andy is well below the other 3 in terms of career trophies attained so far.

So shut it overhypers!...and lets see how good the lad is....when he wins something significant maybe talk Future no1 potential then.... not before though eh!?

If he wins the 2013 OZ open i'll eat my hat and everyone else's for that matter.....

IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Andy at the Australian Open 2013 « Reply #347 on: January 15, 2013, 10:04 PM »

Enjoy your time with your friend Dani, we'll keep an eye on Andy, and I will personally volunteer to be very rude to any and all opponents who look remotely like threatening him:).

I got really imaginative with the insults last night. Told Haase that he has 'arrogant hair'. Arrogant hair? Not sure how that one works!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Andy at the Australian Open 2013 « Reply #348 on: January 15, 2013, 10:08 PM »

Bit tired already of hearing both the Oz media and Tomic over hype Tomic. He never achieved any major Junior titles...and has only won a complete diddy of a tournament in Sydney his first ATP title. He beat Djoko recently ...coz Djoko was only playing in 1st gear thus avoiding injury and tiredness.

Murray reached world top 10 status before he was 20 and reached  a career high world no2 at age 22. Thats more impressive....and Andy is well below the other 3 in terms of career trophies attained so far.

So shut it overhypers!...and lets see how good the lad is....when he wins something significant maybe talk Future no1 potential then.... not before though eh!?

If he wins the 2013 OZ open i'll eat my hat and everyone else's for that matter.....

Reminds me of this morning when they mentioned the betting odds during the coverage. I suspect this is betting in Oz. Djokovic is favourite, fair enough, then Andy, then Federer. Ferrer is fourth favourite and Tomic is fifth. I felt a bit rotten when I laughed.
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Andy at the Australian Open 2013 « Reply #349 on: January 15, 2013, 10:08 PM »

Probably not Frown If memory serves their internet is terrible (they live out in the country) and I wouldn't be able to turn on their tv without waking everyone as they live in a bungalow.Like I said,great opportunity,disastrous timing!
You have my sympathy dani, it's a bitter sweet time for you. Just send your energy-waves and positivity to Andy by telepathy, that'll do the trick.

Just ignore Robbie, he wont go away, but ignore him anyway.  w00t
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
Seed

Re: Andy at the Australian Open 2013 « Reply #350 on: January 15, 2013, 10:48 PM »

I got really imaginative with the insults last night. Told Haase that he has 'arrogant hair'. Arrogant hair? Not sure how that one works!

Ha ha ! Arrogant hair - love it! It never ceases to amaze/amuse me the irrational thoughts it is possible to have in the 'heat of battle' roflmao
[ Last edit by wimbledonwestie January 15, 2013, 10:51 PM ] IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: Andy at the Australian Open 2013 « Reply #351 on: January 15, 2013, 10:59 PM »

Enjoy your time with your friend Dani, we'll keep an eye on Andy, and I will personally volunteer to be very rude to any and all opponents who look remotely like threatening him:).

Thanks Teejay  hug Much appreciated!I'll miss cheering Andy on with you all,but I'll be safe in the knowledge that he'll be well and truly supported-and that his opponents will be suitably flattened,not only by Andy but by his cheering section too Very Happy

And I'm not quite sure how arrogant hair works either,but I love it all the same!There's an insult you don't hear every day  w00t
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: Andy at the Australian Open 2013 « Reply #352 on: January 15, 2013, 11:02 PM »

You have my sympathy dani, it's a bitter sweet time for you. Just send your energy-waves and positivity to Andy by telepathy, that'll do the trick.

Thanks so much lashurst Smile

Yeah,I'm so excited to catch up with my friend-but the timing really could have been better!Oh well-as much as I convince myself that my cheering,yelling,and occasional superstitious rituals help Andy on,I think even without my input he'll do just fine!I'll think plenty of positive thoughts,and then come Tuesday next I'll be back to catch up with you all and cheer on our man with great enthusiasm again Very Happy
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy at the Australian Open 2013 « Reply #353 on: January 16, 2013, 12:39 AM »

To be fair to the Aussies they haven't had a challenger since 2002. Now Tomic has come along and he's probably the most talented of the younger generation, so it's understandable they're going to get a little excited.

Also he won the Junior Aussie Open at 15 and the Junior USO at 17.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Andy at the Australian Open 2013 « Reply #354 on: January 16, 2013, 03:30 AM »

An opportunity/disaster has come up!!

An opportunity to go and visit one of my best friends (who lives in a totally different part of the country) has come my way.I'd go first thing tomorrow,and not get back til Tuesday next.Now,she's one of the closest people in the world to me,and I hardly ever get to see her-last time I saw her was over 8 months ago-so of course,I jumped at the chance and said yes.BUT it's gonna put paid to me making this time about the AO and cheering on Andy!! Frown

So,if you guys wouldn't mind and would be so kind,I'm gonna need you to throw in a bit of extra cheering for me-and Andy,I'm gonna need you to still be in it this time next week so I can resume cheering you on!!

Hey Dani, I'll do your cheering part!!

Have fun with your friend....Smile
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Andy at the Australian Open 2013 « Reply #355 on: January 16, 2013, 01:16 PM »

Thanks Teejay  hug Much appreciated!I'll miss cheering Andy on with you all,but I'll be safe in the knowledge that he'll be well and truly supported-and that his opponents will be suitably flattened,not only by Andy but by his cheering section too Very Happy

And I'm not quite sure how arrogant hair works either,but I love it all the same!There's an insult you don't hear every day  w00t

Re, the arrogant hair thing, I think my brain was looking for something else and just got confused!
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Andy at the Australian Open 2013 « Reply #356 on: January 18, 2013, 09:24 PM »

Fun video including Andy and other players answering quick-fire questions:
I love Andy's dry humour.

IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Andy at the Australian Open 2013 « Reply #357 on: January 18, 2013, 09:25 PM »

Andy's latest Column - The Australian
Andy - Friday, January 18 2013
Column taken from the Australian (19/01/13)

IT took a few days but a factor that makes the Australian Open the tough grand slam that it is finally arrived on Thursday, the blazing sun and heat.

The temperature on Thursday at Melbourne Park peaked at 41C and understandably a lot of players were feeling hot and bothered. I’m told there were players cramping on court and I heard one player even needed intense treatment following his match. It can be a brutal sport at times.

I actually did not find it too bad though. Sure, when the sun came out, it was pretty uncomfortable but because there was some cloud cover through the day, it did not really worry me. Plus, I played well enough against Joao Sousa to get through to the third round without spending too much time on court. Playing shorter matches early in a grand slam can often be a key to doing well later in the tournament. The fresher the better. Well, I hope so anyway.

One thing about playing in Melbourne is that while it can get really hot at times, it does not have the humidity of some of the other tournaments, it is the sweaty conditions that can really test you. New York can be really taxing if you get a warm and sweaty day.

The worst conditions I’ve ever played in came during my junior days when I was pitted against a mate who is still a great friend to this day, Dani Vallverdu, who travels with me as a hitting partner. In the early part of the year there is a series of strong junior tournaments through South America, and when I was 14 or 15 , I travelled there to play, around the time I moved to Spain to train on the clay courts there. The most famous event is the Banana Bowl in Brazil and while I skipped that one, I played tournaments in Colombia, Bolivia, Paraguay, Ecuador and Peru, it was a pretty amazing trip for a teenager. The match against Dani in Paraguay stands out though. Not only was it 44C, the humidity was over 90 per cent. It was hard. Really hard. I remember feeling terrible at different times during the match and the score line, 6-2 0-6 6-4 my way shows that. But at least I got one up on Dani and I don’t let him forget that!

The important thing when you know there is going to be testing conditions is making sure you’re prepared. When it is 39 to 40C here, I go to great lengths to keep hydrated properly and to eat properly. From 40 hours before the match, I am doing everything I can to make sure I am at my peak when I step on to the court. Part of that preparation, of course, dates back to the off-season which I spend in Miami. But you shouldn’t think that all I do when I’m not playing is train, if you don’t have other interests outside the court or a break from training, you can get pretty stale. Every week I have a couple of days off, or at least a day and a half rest, just to make sure I am refreshed for each session that I do.

When I’m in Miami, I’ll go and watch the basketball quite a lot. It’s probably topical given the weather in Melbourne on Thursday, but the Heat were on fire in the NBA last year. Not that you’ll ever see me on a basketball court. I’m horrible! We tend to head to the malls there and do some shopping if needs be or head to the beach and try to relax. Otherwise I keep myself busy trying to come up with a winning combination for my fantasy football team. I’m sure I’ve written about that in the past and although I’m yet to touch on it in a column on this trip, I’m happy to report I’m on top. It gives me bragging rights over my friends at home.

My match today is against Ricardas Berankis, a guy I hit with quite a lot. I actually practiced with him here before he started the qualifying tournament last week and he is a really hard worker. Ricardas is obviously playing some good tennis because he has already won five matches here and he hits the ball pretty big from the back of the court, so I’ll have to be on my game. It is good to see him doing well because he’s a nice guy but I’ll be putting our friendship on hold today.

Finally, given I’m aiming to write columns all the way through the fortnight as that will mean I’m still in the tournament, I thought I might ask my readers if they have any questions they would like answered. The quirkier, the better! I can’t write about the heat all the time, after all.

If anyone would like to write, please do so through [email protected]
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Andy at the Australian Open 2013 « Reply #358 on: January 19, 2013, 07:07 PM »

thanks for posting andy's column Linda - I'm pleased to know he takes some time off each week as sometimes one does get the impression life is a constant round of training and gym work.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Andy at the Australian Open 2013 « Reply #359 on: January 19, 2013, 08:24 PM »

Andy ambassador of the year. Lovely recognition of the type of man he is. Bet pseudo fed will have something to say about that lol. 
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 ... 30 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »