Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy at the Australian Open 2013 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: The draw is out and Andy is on Fed's side of the draw.  How far will he get?
Eliminated in the first round. - 1 (2.4%)
Scraped through the 1st round but can't make it through the 2nd. - 0 (0%)
On court for Bev to see who witnesses his 3rd round exit. - 0 (0%)
Nightmares from 2007 are upon us again as Andy goes out in the 4th round. - 0 (0%)
Uncharted territory as Andy goes out in QF's. - 4 (9.8%)
Heartbreak again as Andy falls short in the SF's. - 0 (0%)
Goes through the No.2 seed but falls at the final hurdle. - 3 (7.3%)
Ye of little faith!  AO Champion! - 33 (80.5%)
Total Voters: 41

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy at the Australian Open 2013

(Read 15728 times)
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Andy at the Australian Open 2013 « Reply #390 on: January 20, 2013, 04:07 PM »

Wilander is a twat  who  knows  nothing about the sport. The end
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Andy at the Australian Open 2013 « Reply #391 on: January 20, 2013, 04:49 PM »

have now read the dreaded wilander's thoughts - particularly dislike the dig at Judy
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Andy at the Australian Open 2013 « Reply #392 on: January 20, 2013, 04:50 PM »

have now read the dreaded wilander's thoughts - particularly dislike the dig at Judy

Ruthie, I don't know if you read the comments, but the long diatribe in response to the article was yours truly anonymously.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Andy at the Australian Open 2013 « Reply #393 on: January 20, 2013, 05:42 PM »

Yes it appears Judy can't win. I am sure she will not be running the hotel she has far too much to do already. I am sure someone will be appointed to manage it and accountants will keep the books.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Andy at the Australian Open 2013 « Reply #394 on: January 20, 2013, 06:21 PM »

Yes it appears Judy can't win. I am sure she will not be running the hotel she has far too much to do already. I am sure someone will be appointed to manage it and accountants will keep the books.
  Directors need not be involved in day-to-day matters. I'm sure she'll be non-executive. They advise and oversee the business.
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Andy at the Australian Open 2013 « Reply #395 on: January 20, 2013, 06:25 PM »

Wilander says what the payee wants him to say.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Andy at the Australian Open 2013 « Reply #396 on: January 20, 2013, 08:14 PM »

Directors need not be involved in day-to-day matters. I'm sure she'll be non-executive. They advise and oversee the business.
Agreed.  There needs to be some-one to take legal responsibility for certain things, and probably to sign off on the biggest decisions and for any big spends, but they don't get involved in the details and it's probably best they don't for any business.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Andy at the Australian Open 2013 « Reply #397 on: January 20, 2013, 09:36 PM »

Ruthie, I don't know if you read the comments, but the long diatribe in response to the article was yours truly anonymously.
no I didn't get to the comments tj -- but well done whatever you said.  What annoyed me (among many things) was the dig about Judy having been involved in his training and the suggestion she was just a yes woman (and I think implication he's a mummy's boy).  The more I see him on game, set and mats  the more he irritates me.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Andy at the Australian Open 2013 « Reply #398 on: January 20, 2013, 10:57 PM »

no I didn't get to the comments tj -- but well done whatever you said.  What annoyed me (among many things) was the dig about Judy having been involved in his training and the suggestion she was just a yes woman (and I think implication he's a mummy's boy).  The more I see him on game, set and mats  the more he irritates me.

Thanks. The bit that mentioned Judy incensed me, it's so insulting to Judy and Andy. I tend not to watch Game Set and Mats, but if I did I know Wilander would annoy me.

I can never work out why people within the game seem to have an issue with Judy, but I think it's because she's straightforward, like Andy. The way I look at it is that Judy and William did everything they possibly could to support both the boys to play, not to push them, but to give them a chance to reach any potential they had. Judy has never struck me as a pushy mother, and she does know her tennis. Personally I think the game should be thanking Judy, not only for Andy and Jamie, but also for what she has done for our women players as captain of the Fed Cup team. I'm convinced that Laura Robson and Heather Watson have both benefited from Judy's input.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Andy at the Australian Open 2013 « Reply #399 on: January 21, 2013, 09:12 AM »

Re Judy- plain old fashioned sexism Rolling Eyes
A huge number of players have a male relative travel with them. Barely gets a mention.
Mirka gets a lot of stick too.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
Seed

Re: Andy at the Australian Open 2013 « Reply #400 on: January 21, 2013, 07:08 PM »

Judy came to our school about four years ago to do a coaching clinic -she was chatty, friendly and unassuming in the staffroom. When she went to work with the children a local radio station turned up and tried to interrupt the coaching so they could interview hr. She told then politely but firmly that she'd come to coach children not seek publicity but would be more than happy to speak with them after the sssion so as not to waste the children's time. I also asked her (well you grab these chances when they arise) if there was any chance Andy would complete an interview for our school newspaper. Within 24 hours of me emailing the children's questions (and there were lots), we had the replies.
Total respect to them both - class acts!
p.s Chris Hoy's dad did likewise  (not the coaching but the interview)
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Andy at the Australian Open 2013 « Reply #401 on: January 21, 2013, 07:52 PM »

She comes across a lovely person Wimbledon Westie,  myself & my mum went up to Dunblane for Andy's homecoming, despite being asked for hundreds of pictures & autographs when I shouted on her to ask for a pic with mum she came running away back down the hill ( even though she was holding them up as they were way behind schedule)
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Andy at the Australian Open 2013 « Reply #402 on: January 22, 2013, 07:37 PM »

Andy's latest blog. Some interesting comments about practising with other players. :

Andy's latest Column - The Australian
Andy - Tuesday, January 22 2013
Column taken from The Australian (23/1/13)

RAFA in the midfield. Jo-Wilfried up front. Kei Nishikori flying down the right wing. David Ferrer getting up and down the pitch. And Serena as the ultimate substitute. That’d be my five-a-side dream football team!
 Now I know it might sound a little unusual to be talking about football when I’ve a grand slam quarter-final coming up later today in Melbourne, but you might remember from my column on the weekend that I’d asked fans to send in some quirky questions. I just didn’t realise how quirky some would be – but thanks for sending them in.

One of the questions that interested me was the one about my dream team and which players ranked inside the top 20 I’d have on my side.
 Rafa is an obvious choice, he’s a big Real Madrid fan. One of his uncles was a famous player in Spain and it is pretty clear Rafa would have been good as well had he chosen football instead of tennis, it might have made it a bit easier for a few of us to win a few more grand slams too!
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga is not bad either. You can imagine he would be pretty hard to man up on, he’s so tall and powerful. Nishikori is a surprisingly good player and unsurprisingly Ferrer has a really good engine and that is important in five-a-side football. He would definitely work hard for the team. As for the substitute, I was asked which woman I would bring off the bench to replace me. It was a pretty simple answer. Serena. She is an awesome athlete and physically the strongest player.

Another good question was one about whether I try to disguise my game plan or tactics when I’m practicing against some of the other guys. The fan in question used the examples of Don Budge, an American player who used to hide a little bit when training, and Muhammad Ali. I have watched a lot of Ali’s fights, and the thing that was weird with his famous ‘rope a dope’ strategy he used against George Foreman in the Rumble in the Jungle is that his corner said they had no idea that he was going to do it. They said he hadn’t been doing it in training, so after the first couple of rounds they were shouting out to him to get off the ropes, asking him what he was doing. He claims that was his game plan but I don’t know whether he had been training for it or not because his corner didn’t seem to think it was the best way to go about it.

In one of my earlier columns, I wrote that I’d been practicing a bit with Ricardas Berankis since arriving in Australia for the Brisbane International, so it was a bit of a shock to draw him in the third round here. The truth is that you disguise things in your game a little bit when you’re hitting balls with the best.

Since I have been on the tour, I have practiced with Roger only twice, maybe, and it would be about four years since I’ve done so. Rafa I practice with a lot and Novak I have practiced with a fair bit but you obviously don’t want to give too much away and before slams, now that I have played those guys a lot, you don’t want them to get a feel for the ball you are hitting or certain shots you have been working on.
Even sometimes you can overhear certain things in practice, you know what your coach is saying to you and you probably don’t want them to know that. I’ll try and answer a few more questions in the next column.

Now to my opponent Jeremy Chardy. We’re about the same age, so we used to play against each other a lot in practice. He has obviously been playing really well for the past year or so and some of you may know that he actually beat me in Cincinnati last August, it was my only loss between winning the gold in London and the US Open. The thing is, that match aside, I’ve always played well against Jeremy and I hope I do so again today. I’ll have to be on my game but I feel like my best tennis is not too far away.

IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Andy at the Australian Open 2013 « Reply #403 on: January 22, 2013, 10:19 PM »

I like that last sentence in particular from Andy, it's very positive. It's also what I thought, so I feel a bit clever lol.
IP Logged
AussieAndyFan

Re: Andy at the Australian Open 2013 « Reply #404 on: January 24, 2013, 09:11 AM »

Hi all!

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151365244217044.508755.695227043&type=3

That is a link to a public album I have of my photos from this years AO if you wanted to have a look Smile
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »