Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy at the Madrid Masters 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 12 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy at the Madrid Masters

(Read 7321 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Andy at the Madrid Masters « on: May 03, 2013, 08:52 PM »

Andy reached the QF here in 2009 where he was defeated by Del Potro, and again in 2010 when he lost to Ferrer.   In 2011 he got as far as R3 before being dismissed by Bellucci in straight sets.  Last year he was forced to withdraw due to a back problem, which may have been a blessing in disguise because of the slippery blue clay.  The clay has not only reverted to the usual red but, according to the organisers, the courts and the complex in general have been substantially upgraded.
[ Last edit by Aileen May 03, 2013, 10:06 PM ] IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy at the Madrid Masters « Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 08:55 PM »

I am sure Federer is disappointed about the upgrade of the surface. Just when he was seeing success on blue clay.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy at the Madrid Masters « Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 09:26 PM »

The blue clay just had to go because both Rafa and Nole refused to play here again if it didn't.  Also a few other players complained about it.  It looked horrible anyway and I found it quite hard on the eyes to look at.  I'm sure Andy isn't disappointed given that he has enough problems sliding on the red dirt.
IP Logged
Milly87
Futures Level

Re: Andy at the Madrid Masters « Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 09:31 PM »

Andy's potential route in Madrid: 1R - Bye, 2R - Bellucci/Mayer, 3R - Simon, QF - Berdych/Tipsarevic, SF - Djokovic, F - Federer/Nadal.

Berdych is the one that scares me most even though his form's been off quite a bit recently.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Andy at the Madrid Masters « Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 09:33 PM »

ATP official draw:

http://www.atpworldtour.com/posting/2013/1536/mds.pdf
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Andy at the Madrid Masters « Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 09:36 PM »

I'm pretty happy with Andy's draw. Nole has the worst one.
And as for Ferrer in Nadal's quarter. Shocker!  Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy at the Madrid Masters « Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 09:41 PM »

Andy's potential route in Madrid: 1R - Bye, 2R - Bellucci/Mayer, 3R - Simon, QF - Berdych/Tipsarevic, SF - Djokovic, F - Federer/Nadal.

Berdych is the one that scares me most even though his form's been off quite a bit recently.
I'm not too happy about Berdych either.  He and Andy have met on clay twice in the past three years, and Berdych has won on both occasions.  It'll be interesting though to see what progress Andy has made generally after his tough practice sessions with Lendl in MC.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Andy at the Madrid Masters « Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 09:45 PM »

I'm not too happy about Berdych either.  He and Andy have met on clay twice in the past three years, and Berdych has won on both occasions.  It'll be interesting though to see what progress Andy has made generally after his tough practice sessions with Lendl in MC.
It's very exciting.  Looking forward to this match up - if they both get there.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy at the Madrid Masters « Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 09:46 PM »

I'm not liking that R2 draw. Not one bit. Got lucky last time with Roger-Vasselin, but this time he gets a top 30 player or a very dangerous clay courter.

Should he get past that I can't see him beating Berdych in the QFs. Simon should be straightforward, if Murray gets past his opener. Although saying that I hope this doesn't come back to bite me on the arse.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy at the Madrid Masters « Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 09:46 PM »

I'm pretty happy with Andy's draw. Nole has the worst one.
And as for Ferrer in Nadal's quarter. Shocker!  Rolling Eyes
And Nadal in Federer's half.

No fix here folks.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy at the Madrid Masters « Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 09:59 PM »

And Nadal in Federer's half.

No fix here folks.

What do you mean? The Organizers are more interested in the Nole/Nadal than Federer/Nadal final.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy at the Madrid Masters « Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 10:18 PM »

I'm not liking that R2 draw. Not one bit. Got lucky last time with Roger-Vasselin, but this time he gets a top 30 player or a very dangerous clay courter.

Should he get past that I can't see him beating Berdych in the QFs. Simon should be straightforward, if Murray gets past his opener. Although saying that I hope this doesn't come back to bite me on the arse.
After MC I admit have no expectations here, although I don't relish the prospect of a first match exit.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy at the Madrid Masters « Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 10:19 PM »

What do you mean? The Organizers are more interested in the Nole/Nadal than Federer/Nadal final.
Sarcasm doesn't come across well on the internets.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy at the Madrid Masters « Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 10:29 PM »

Sarcasm doesn't come across well on the internets.

Not when it leaves for two interpretation. Besides, I thought you were always against 'draws are rigged' theory. 
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Andy at the Madrid Masters « Reply #14 on: May 03, 2013, 11:37 PM »

I don't think Andy's draw is too bad. It coukd have been worse I suppose. Of course there are potential banana skins, but then again how many is Andy a banana skin for?

I quite fancy Andy's chances against Berdych should they both get through that far. Of course it would help if Andy plays as well as he can, and it might also help if Berdych continues to leave his form in the locker room for a bit, but we'll see.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Andy again. That nightmare of a day in MC feels like it was ages ago. Fingers crossed for a good Madrid.

I'm glad the blue clay is gone. I didn't understand last year how people could say it looked good and made seeing the ball easier. Personally I thought it looked awful.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 12 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »