Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy at the Madrid Masters 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 12 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy at the Madrid Masters

(Read 7252 times)
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Andy at the Madrid Masters « Reply #60 on: May 04, 2013, 09:56 PM »

I wasn't being totally serious about Andy's chances at Wimbledon y'know. ^^

Hehe well it would make for an interesting topic of conversation if Andy won Madrid, i wonder how many would think Wimbledon would then be a formality
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Andy at the Madrid Masters « Reply #61 on: May 04, 2013, 11:20 PM »

After MC I admit have no expectations here, although I don't relish the prospect of a first match exit.
Me too Aileen. I'm sitting on the fence atm, due to his early exit in MC. He will need to string several stable performances together for me to get optimistic on this surface.

I wish Andy all the best here and hope he'll surprise us all!
Good luck laddie.

I'm sure Rafa will take care of Federer. Nole will manage to get deep in the tourney, as he's playing well.

IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Andy at the Madrid Masters « Reply #62 on: May 05, 2013, 01:24 AM »

Well they can't have gone on to win Wimbledon when it was a Hard tournament because it was in October.

Erm yes they could... Wimbledon would still follow Madrid.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy at the Madrid Masters « Reply #63 on: May 05, 2013, 02:27 AM »

Erm yes they could... Wimbledon would still follow Madrid.
Not in the same year they couldn't.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Andy at the Madrid Masters « Reply #64 on: May 05, 2013, 06:26 AM »

I think we may have forgotten that Andy was suffering throughout the Asian swing last year.  I believe that he had a virus or chest infection.

They also say that when you win Queens you do not win Wimbledon.  I must admit I cannot find anyone who has.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Andy at the Madrid Masters « Reply #65 on: May 05, 2013, 08:29 AM »

I think we may have forgotten that Andy was suffering throughout the Asian swing last year.  I believe that he had a virus or chest infection.

They also say that when you win Queens you do not win Wimbledon.  I must admit I cannot find anyone who has.

Rafa did in 2008 - he beat Novak in the Queens final and then Federer in the Wimbledon final.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Andy at the Madrid Masters « Reply #66 on: May 05, 2013, 09:26 AM »

I had forgotten that one.  So there goes the theory.  The other one is , of course, Andy is actually the first player to reach the final of the next GS after his first win.  That is another theory gone.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Andy at the Madrid Masters « Reply #67 on: May 05, 2013, 10:17 AM »

I still believe Andy rolled over at MC, wether it was a good idea or not let's look at the facts.

He had just won his first masters for a long time in Miami and it was a grueling affair so he probably felt no ambition to win in MC

He got booed in MC so that says to me they realised he wasn't putting too much effort into it

He played so well in his first match that he felt that his ability to play decent on clay was there, there was too much of a gulf between his form in the first match compared to his match with Stan.

His mood after his defeat was not exactly despondant, as the photos taken after his defeat showed.

So to me, it was a planned tank to gve him enough time to recoup properly and practise a bit more before embarking on 2 masters in a row followed by the French open. Was it a good idea? Well short term maybe not, match practise is important, but long term yes and this is important for the coming month to be fully fit and focsussed while Rafa et all were busy playing and tiring themselves out a bit more.

Apart from Federer, he should be in a much better position over the next few weeks than most of his rivals.

Of course this could be complete tosh and he got spanked by Stan and was clearly not ready for clay so practised some more, but i'm still going with my initial theory.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Andy at the Madrid Masters « Reply #68 on: May 05, 2013, 11:17 AM »

I actually feel the same as you Gnome.  This has shades of last year but he has added the Masters to the tiournies he is aiming for.  It did seem very strange the way he played Stan after such a fantastic start.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Andy at the Madrid Masters « Reply #69 on: May 05, 2013, 02:00 PM »

I still believe Andy rolled over at MC, wether it was a good idea or not let's look at the facts.

Jeez. You couldn't make this stuff up. Tell you what lets make it simple. Whenever Andy loses a match just blame it on him "rolling-over", his back, his knee or a virus. Me? I know he lost because he just wasn't good enough on the day despite giving 100%. Im obviously stupid.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Andy at the Madrid Masters « Reply #70 on: May 05, 2013, 02:07 PM »

Jeez. You couldn't make this stuff up. Tell you what lets make it simple. Whenever Andy loses a match just blame it on him "rolling-over", his back, his knee or a virus. Me? I know he lost because he just wasn't good enough on the day despite giving 100%. Im obviously stupid.
Well you said it and whom am I to contradict you.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Andy at the Madrid Masters « Reply #71 on: May 05, 2013, 02:20 PM »

What utter tosh, there are many times Andy has lost when nothing was mentioned as an excuse, the Wimbledon final for example. If you don't believe players tank on purpose you are really naive, take the Paris masters for instance, do i really need to highlight every example of top players who have "surprisingly" lost there.

Andy's defeat in Monte carlo is open to interpretation, and i noticed you highlight only the first part of my comment, if you bothered to read the whole post i also added that i could be well wide of the mark, but my opinion is my own.

Who am i to argue with you regarding your stupidty.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Andy at the Madrid Masters « Reply #72 on: May 05, 2013, 04:09 PM »

I'm only confident about Andy winning against Simon.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy at the Madrid Masters « Reply #73 on: May 05, 2013, 04:09 PM »

There is no logic to tanking in MC whatsoever.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Andy at the Madrid Masters « Reply #74 on: May 05, 2013, 04:10 PM »

I'm only confident about Andy winning against Simon.

He won't be facing Simon.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 12 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »