Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic, Wednesday night, Est. time - 1:30am BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy at the Madrid Masters 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] Go Down Reply
Author

Andy at the Madrid Masters

(Read 6374 times)
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy at the Madrid Masters « Reply #165 on: May 09, 2013, 07:11 PM »

I'm not arguing that. However I would suggest it is fairly realistic to suggest that, given his relatively poor clay credentials, the chances are not in his favour of beating Simon, Berdych and Wawrinka/Tsonga in succession.

Way I'm looking at this clay season is no expectations, so anything gained is a bonus. I would be over the moon if he makes the final, and it would be all the sweeter with lowered expectations. That's not to say I wouldn't be disappointed or frustrated with a defeat, before anyone brings this up after his next loss.

Andy has poor credentials on clay no doubt (a lot of his own fault for not playing those 250/500 in early stage of his career. He needed to build that.) but he's also off high caliber player who can turn things for himself regardless surface. You must take into account that he has the game to do so. It's not like we are expecting Haase to win RG. He should be able to beat that line-up at this point of his career. It's always about going to the next level and not getting stuck in 2009. That's where the hope and expectations kick in - even for Andy. I don't like to overestimate things but it's got to happen at some point and that's the whole point of this discussion. Andy, for one, cannot possibly think and go into each match keeping that line-up in mind and think it's an unbeatable line-up - never did it therefore, can never do it. He can't afford to have that attitude. He only needs to take care of things one at a time. It will eventually happen. When - we don't know but I'd rather hope it's sooner than never. It's not realism, at least for me, to only take the negative into account - the past and poor credentials so far and ignore all the potentials that have yet to unfold. It's just not my style. A person cannot afford to go into conquering Everest after a few failed attempts. Should he be realistic and write it off or should he try again? If he's persistent then he will try again and conquer. If not, then he should have never had it as part of his goal. 

Well anyway, I get that people are different but Andy's not your typical average person.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Andy at the Madrid Masters « Reply #166 on: May 09, 2013, 09:16 PM »

watched some of the Fed match today ....and he looks finished to me... he is defo struggling now. This may well be his last year....unless he wants to start getting whipped by players in the top 20 in exchange for prolonging his career.

now watching Dimitrov.... and he is really starting to get his tennis together. I reckon he will be top 10 player this year.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Andy at the Madrid Masters « Reply #167 on: May 10, 2013, 07:08 PM »

I agree any win on clay is a bonus for Andy. We all know it is his worst surface to play on. Like others on MW it is a bonus for him. His first set against  Simon was terrible but he won in the end,. As the commentators said it was not pretty but he did win. As far as I am concerned it was a win playing dirty or not. Well done Andy you showed your fighting qualities.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy at the Madrid Masters « Reply #168 on: May 10, 2013, 10:15 PM »

Got to get past Simon, Berdych and one of Tsonga/Wawrinka/Dimitrov.

Can't see it. QFs I think.
Hey look, turns out this was realistic. Who'da thought it.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy at the Madrid Masters « Reply #169 on: May 11, 2013, 12:37 AM »

Hey look, turns out this was realistic. Who'da thought it.

Your predictions are now becoming self fulfilling prophecies for you. Doesn't matter what you want for Andy, your sponsoring thought would always be the one that would want to be right. It's not a hit but a miss and I'm afraid you will never get it.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy at the Madrid Masters « Reply #170 on: May 11, 2013, 12:38 AM »

Your predictions are now becoming self fulfilling prophecies for you. Doesn't matter what you want for Andy, your sponsoring thought would always be the one that would want to be right. It's not a hit but a miss and I'm afraid you will never get it.
Eyebrow raise.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Andy at the Madrid Masters « Reply #171 on: May 11, 2013, 05:40 PM »

^^Hello confused
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »