Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy at the Rogers Cup 2013 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 57 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Andy at the Rogers Cup 2013  (Read 19406 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy at the Rogers Cup 2013 « Reply #45 on: July 12, 2013, 08:31 PM »

Japan in 2011. Andy won in three sets. 2-6 6-2 6-0.

I've got the match on DVD. It's great. Andy had a dodgy start, but raced back in style.
That 3rd set bagel was amazing!  I'm wondering how long Nadal's knees will hold up from this tournament onwards, given that hard-courts are also tough on the body.  I just hope Andy's back holds up too, although the conditions aren't as bad as those of clay.

I would very much like the organisers of this tournament to change the banner on its official website.  Showing only Fed, Djoko and Nadal has never been acceptable, and is considerably less so now - http://www.rogerscup.com/men/english/home.php
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy at the Rogers Cup 2013 « Reply #46 on: July 12, 2013, 08:48 PM »

I always enjoy Toronto/Montreal and Cinci. Andy's played some great tennis in both Masters.

The only thing I hate is that rotten vase, but I'd grin and bear it if Andy won.

What is everyone thinking? Andy to win one, or both, or what? I'd love him to win Montreal, because after Wimbledon that would make a splash. It would tell people, if they need telling, that he isn't done yet, not by a long way, and is still highly motivated.

Do you think he could win both and still win the USO?
I don't think anyone has done that ever.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy at the Rogers Cup 2013 « Reply #47 on: July 12, 2013, 08:50 PM »

If Andy wins one and makes the final of the other he'll surpass 10,000 points for the first time.

Probably asking a bit too much though. Although Djoker did manage it last year.

Looking further ahead - only defending 870 points between USO and WTF (with 2500 up for grabs from the three tournaments Murray usually plays) and defending 400 at London (can double that by making the final alone).
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Andy at the Rogers Cup 2013 « Reply #48 on: July 13, 2013, 03:18 AM »

If Andy wins one and makes the final of the other he'll surpass 10,000 points for the first time.

Probably asking a bit too much though. Although Djoker did manage it last year.

Looking further ahead - only defending 870 points between USO and WTF (with 2500 up for grabs from the three tournaments Murray usually plays) and defending 400 at London (can double that by making the final alone).

Yeah... whilst acheiving that many points end of year would be great... its also highly unlikely...Andy will lose some matches ...and rather than focussing on points this year and early next...Id rather he focussed on retaining the US and going a step further in the Oz Open and winning that. That, for me, would be more impressive.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Andy at the Rogers Cup 2013 « Reply #49 on: July 13, 2013, 03:22 AM »

I think Andy will do well in Toronto..

no Not on my watch this time.
IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Andy book signing at Piccadilly, Nov 2013

Re: Andy at the Rogers Cup 2013 « Reply #50 on: July 13, 2013, 08:43 AM »

That 3rd set bagel was amazing!  I'm wondering how long Nadal's knees will hold up from this tournament onwards, given that hard-courts are also tough on the body.  I just hope Andy's back holds up too, although the conditions aren't as bad as those of clay.

I would very much like the organisers of this tournament to change the banner on its official website.  Showing only Fed, Djoko and Nadal has never been acceptable, and is considerably less so now - http://www.rogerscup.com/men/english/home.php

Didn't it go from 2-2 in the second, to Andy winning ten straight games?

I don't think I've ever seen Rafa so outclassed.  He took a hammering in the third.

IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Top Seed

Re: Andy at the Rogers Cup 2013 « Reply #51 on: July 13, 2013, 08:49 AM »

Rafa won like 4 points in the last set or something.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Andy at the Rogers Cup 2013 « Reply #52 on: July 13, 2013, 09:50 AM »

That Tokyo match was amazing. Andy was in such good form that day.

I really want Andy and Rafa to play each other before the USO to see how they match up now. I've always thought that Andy should beat him more often on hardcourts. Looking at their gamestyles, you'd think Andy would have the same advantages in that matchup that Novak has. Perhaps it was mainly a mental thing before.

I wouldn't be surprised if Andy has an early exit in one of Montreal/Cincinatti and either wins or gets to the final of the other. He'll want to pace himself before the USO starts.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Andy at the Rogers Cup 2013 « Reply #53 on: July 13, 2013, 04:42 PM »

If Andy gets used to the court conditions of hardcourt and builds his physical & mental state in prep for US open ..that'll do for me. Couldnt give a monkeys who beats him in the leadup ...it has no real relevance IMO.

Ive always seen masters events as opportunities for players , who are not ready or able to win a slam, to win a good comp and gain confidence and/or ranking points.... nothing more or less.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Andy at the Rogers Cup 2013 « Reply #54 on: July 13, 2013, 04:54 PM »

For now I just hope Andy does take that holiday he's talked about and gets a good rest before he starts training again.  He said somewhere that lendl would have him training hard again. And I hope and pray the paparazzi don't follow him on holiday but let him be.  Apparently they'd climbed over the gate of the place he lives after the champions' dinner.  Always remember when we were told that Andy had asked Lendl whether winning a slam would change his life because unlike some of the other top players he doesn't want to be constantly in the media.  I'd hate it, if that were the downside of winning W for him.  But I'm sure it will all blow over very quickly and he can get back to winning tournaments that most wimbledon watchers haven't even heard of.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Andy at the Rogers Cup 2013 « Reply #55 on: July 13, 2013, 05:55 PM »

Didn't it go from 2-2 in the second, to Andy winning ten straight games?

I don't think I've ever seen Rafa so outclassed.  He took a hammering in the third.

Yeah we can cling to that one....but the fact remains Rafa has pretty much chewed out Andy in the majors and other big events. Andy has something to prove n beating Rafa when it counts... we can all pussy foot around Andy has nothing to prove.... but in many eyes against Rafa he does.
That said , Andy is a very different opponent than he was even the last time they played so Im pretty hopeful he will do the business when they meet eventually.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Andy at the Rogers Cup 2013 « Reply #56 on: July 13, 2013, 07:03 PM »

^yes but abf Andy has beaten Rafa twice in majors. Admittedly the 2nd time Rafa was injured but if I remember correctly Andy was already well on the way to winning before the injury occurred.
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Boo hoo hoooooooo :'(

Re: Andy at the Rogers Cup 2013 « Reply #57 on: July 13, 2013, 07:09 PM »

I don't think anyone has done that ever.

Roddick did in 2003.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy at the Rogers Cup 2013 « Reply #58 on: July 13, 2013, 09:29 PM »

For now I just hope Andy does take that holiday he's talked about and gets a good rest before he starts training again.  He said somewhere that lendl would have him training hard again. And I hope and pray the paparazzi don't follow him on holiday but let him be.  Apparently they'd climbed over the gate of the place he lives after the champions' dinner.  Always remember when we were told that Andy had asked Lendl whether winning a slam would change his life because unlike some of the other top players he doesn't want to be constantly in the media.  I'd hate it, if that were the downside of winning W for him.  But I'm sure it will all blow over very quickly and he can get back to winning tournaments that most wimbledon watchers haven't even heard of.
I've got no time for these creatures.  They don't give a toss about their 'victims' just so long as they get their pics and the obscene sums of money they get paid for them.  As it was he and Kim couldn't even take the dogs for a walk without being stalked.  It's probably just as well he's out of the country so often.  If the worst comes to the worst though he could do what my cousin in South Africa does - surround the place with high barbed-wire fences and have two rottweilers patrolling the grounds!

Seriously though, I hope he upgrades his home security a little now anyway, because the price of fame, whether he wants it or not, is always going to be people trying to intrude into his private life.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Andy at the Rogers Cup 2013 « Reply #59 on: July 14, 2013, 07:43 AM »

^ Yes,  but after the Olympics he got a lot of attention and  he said in the docu that once the media realise how "boring" his and Kim's lives are, walking the dogs, going to the dentist etc., they soon leave them alone thumb up Andy is such a private person, doesn't give them much fodder.
I suspect its at its peak now but the moment some other sensation turns up, the press will be off.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 57 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »