Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy at the Rogers Cup 2013 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 57 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy at the Rogers Cup 2013

(Read 23256 times)
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Andy at the Rogers Cup 2013 « Reply #75 on: July 17, 2013, 11:28 AM »

I don't think Andy will get sidetracked in any way,  he's far too level headed and has got great team and family round him, He will be a bit drained after Wimbledon but I for one won't be surprised if he goes on and wins U S open again. After all it was his first slam win. I think he will do everything in his power to retain it.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Andy at the Rogers Cup 2013 « Reply #76 on: July 17, 2013, 11:31 AM »

I do think Andy and Kim's profile will be different in the UK from now on. For as long as Andy lives he will be Andy Murray, Wimbledon Champion (my heart still does something weird when I think that! ) and the media and such won't forget that in a hurry. Unwittingly, Andy has cemented his place in the affections of the country and the media won't forget.

What I do think helps is that neither Andy or Kim court publicity, ever. They won't get dragged in to doing the whole celeb bit. Andy has also made it quite clear he isn't interested in doing anything that could distract him from trying to win more slams, no matter what is offered. That tells me he has his feet on the ground.

I think Andy is lucky in the sense that his sport takes him away a lot. He gets pressure and attention for Queen's and Wimbledon, which he has handled beautifully, but for the rest of the year he is out of the UK, able to focus on the pressures that must come from within. If he was here all the time it would probably drive him mad.

In the short term there will be other stories to distract people. The royal baby, the Ashes, etc. Longer term, as long as Andy and Kim stay true to themselves and are prepared to put their foot down if the atrention gets too much or is intrusive, I think they'll be fine.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Andy at the Rogers Cup 2013 « Reply #77 on: July 17, 2013, 11:54 AM »

I agree that the Royal baby is going to be a great blessing. I just wonder how big the comedown might be. He has been battling to deliver the Wimbledon goods for so long. Not just for him, but the pressure of expectation from the country. I really don't know how he has coped with it. Keeping his head in that final game was one of his most awesome feats ever.

I still almost savour the Olympic Gold more. There was so much joy in that victory. Looking back we all know that in that final ace the Grand Slam Murray made his first appearance, having been forged in the anguish of the loss the previous month.

It's what I most admire about Murray, picking himself up after that devastating loss, and battling on to get what he wanted.
IP Logged
hugoagogo69
Satellite Level

Re: Andy at the Rogers Cup 2013 « Reply #78 on: July 17, 2013, 12:01 PM »

Can't really compare Wiggo as he is nearing the end of his career while Andy is in the prime of his. I was thinking earlier i would love to see him do a Nole but we all know the wham bam thank you mam nature of the tour.
I think Andy will win one of the North American hard court masters titles, Shanghai and would love a tour finals victory to cap an already wonderful year.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Andy at the Rogers Cup 2013 « Reply #79 on: July 17, 2013, 02:33 PM »

It's what I most admire about Murray, picking himself up after that devastating loss, and battling on to get what he wanted.

Amen to that. Look at how easy it would have been to give up, to think he was never going to get over the line. It would have been easy for Andy to wonder what the point was in all the work. Instead, he kept at it, continued to fight, continued to believe that it would happen.

I just can't get over it. All those endless debates in newspapers over the years, people suggesting that Andy just didn't have what it takes to win slams. Now, if you want to see it in these terms, at present he is the only one who is the current holder of two. I think it's breathtaking.
IP Logged
hugoagogo69
Satellite Level

Re: Andy at the Rogers Cup 2013 « Reply #80 on: July 17, 2013, 02:59 PM »

Amen to that. Look at how easy it would have been to give up, to think he was never going to get over the line. It would have been easy for Andy to wonder what the point was in all the work. Instead, he kept at it, continued to fight, continued to believe that it would happen.

I just can't get over it. All those endless debates in newspapers over the years, people suggesting that Andy just didn't have what it takes to win slams. Now, if you want to see it in these terms, at present he is the only one who is the current holder of two. I think it's breathtaking.

absolutely Teejay! Its that spirit i think we all saw when we all first discovered the role model sportsman & human being that is Andy Murray. We've had our ups & downs over the years but it all has finally paid off over the past year or so & payback to all the doubters!!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Andy at the Rogers Cup 2013 « Reply #81 on: July 17, 2013, 04:08 PM »

absolutely Teejay! Its that spirit i think we all saw when we all first discovered the role model sportsman & human being that is Andy Murray. We've had our ups & downs over the years but it all has finally paid off over the past year or so & payback to all the doubters!!

I keep getting the image of that skinny 18 year old who first played Queen's and Wimbledon in 2005 in my head. I vividly recall telling people then, 'that boy is going to win slams'. Now I'm saying, 'I don't like to say I told you so, but......'  Whistle

There have been ups and downs. I admit there were times when I could have shaken him until his teeth rattled, especially in those moments when it felt like he was beating himself before the opponent had chance to do it. Now I just take my hat off to the man and admire him for never giving up, for continuing to work and work, even in the face of painful loses. It's paying off now, big time.

I take my hat off to Andy for building a great team around him too. There is Lendl, of course, and he has contributed so much, but I'm sure each one has played their part. Where Andy deserves so much credit is in making the choices he has made, to get involved with certain people, to have certain people in his team, knowing what he needed to do to get where he now is.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Andy at the Rogers Cup 2013 « Reply #82 on: July 17, 2013, 04:13 PM »

Now I'm saying, 'I don't like to say I told you so, but......'  Whistle

Haha,Teejay,you're so much politer than me-I'm skipping the niceties and going straight to the "I told you so" with a big grin on my face! Very Happy
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Andy at the Rogers Cup 2013 « Reply #83 on: July 17, 2013, 04:17 PM »

Haha,Teejay,you're so much politer than me-I'm skipping the niceties and going straight to the "I told you so" with a big grin on my face! Very Happy

I did indulge in a  'I told you so' with my brother Smile
IP Logged
hugoagogo69
Satellite Level

Re: Andy at the Rogers Cup 2013 « Reply #84 on: July 17, 2013, 04:28 PM »

I keep getting the image of that skinny 18 year old who first played Queen's and Wimbledon in 2005 in my head. I vividly recall telling people then, 'that boy is going to win slams'. Now I'm saying, 'I don't like to say I told you so, but......'  Whistle

Teejay, that was the the exact image i had in my head when i was replying. Queens 2005!!

IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Andy at the Rogers Cup 2013 « Reply #85 on: July 17, 2013, 04:28 PM »

I did indulge in a  'I told you so' with my brother Smile

IP Logged
Tonedial
Challenger Level

WORTH THE WAIT

Re: Andy at the Rogers Cup 2013 « Reply #86 on: July 17, 2013, 05:00 PM »

federer broken by brands for 1st set 6-3  cmon yeah

http://lsh.streamhunter.eu/static/popups/159643980348910.html
[ Last edit by Tonedial July 17, 2013, 05:05 PM ] IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

The great British player will be back!

Re: Andy at the Rogers Cup 2013 « Reply #87 on: July 17, 2013, 05:05 PM »

This is the beginning of the end. Federer is losing big time now.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Andy at the Rogers Cup 2013 « Reply #88 on: July 17, 2013, 05:06 PM »

federer broken by brands for 1st set 6-3  cmon yeah

http://lsh.streamhunter.eu/static/popups/159643980348910.html

Thanks for the wonderful news and the stream. Very Happy
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: Andy at the Rogers Cup 2013 « Reply #89 on: July 17, 2013, 05:06 PM »