Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs David Ferrer, Saturday, Time: 2pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy at the Rogers Cup 2013 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 ... 57 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy at the Rogers Cup 2013

(Read 22899 times)
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Andy at the Rogers Cup 2013 « Reply #195 on: July 23, 2013, 09:54 PM »

Spot on @Aileen and @cicre.

What fun would it be if Andy was on a massive unbeaten streak? The thing  I love the most about Andy is his unpredictability.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Andy at the Rogers Cup 2013 « Reply #196 on: July 23, 2013, 10:29 PM »

I cant see Andy going on a long unbetean run... im not sure thats in his interests anyway. If Andy just focusses on peaking at every slam comp till he retires ...that'll do for me. I dont give a monkeys if he never wins another masters title... no tennis great has ever been judged on that and never will. They are slam prep for the slam challengers and a chance of a title & cash for the rest
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Andy at the Rogers Cup 2013 « Reply #197 on: July 23, 2013, 11:03 PM »

Andy has a lot of points to gain this N. American HC swing.      Hope he catches up on The djoker.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Andy at the Rogers Cup 2013 « Reply #198 on: July 23, 2013, 11:21 PM »

That's out of order, do you think he can go on a 20+ win streak? Do you really believe that? Prodigy just isn't a fantasist like most on here and he actually takes into account the actual tennis and is not clouded by dreams like most. He's just being honest. I for one agree with him, Andy will probably win Montreal, the US Open, Bangkok and maybe the World Tour finals for the rest of the year.
Can you point me to the bit where I said he'd go on a 20+ winning streak?  How does that fit in with me saying how it would be remarkable and the odds incredibly long?

I don't want to get into an argument.  It isn't my style, but Prodigy's posts (not just in this thread) are definitely influenced by the cynicism of MTF, including the aggression, being quick to antagonise, and the failure to notice when people are just enjoying themselves and not actually being "unrealistic".   So many of his posts follow their house style of just trying to wind someone up.  The other poster seemed to be confused by his "abruptness", so I was offering my explanation that it's not to be taken too personally/seriously.

Although it seems he's not the only one.  Some people on here seem to love any excuse to get into a fight, and don't bother to read what was written.  It gets in the way of over-reacting. lol

Object all you like, but if you really think my post said he'd definitely go on a 20+ winning streak, and wasn't saying how tough it would be to win all of those matches, and therefore makes me a fantasist, who is dishonest, and not focused on tennis, then I won't try to argue with you.  There isn't any point, because I generally favour logic, and facts and you don't seem to bother with them.  At least I know the difference between the Race to London points and the current ranking points. Whistle

If we are going to have a thread started so early for a tournament, you've got to expect mindless speculation, and that includes the right for some people to enjoy being a bit overly optimistic.  Do you really think that anyone suggesting a 20+ win streak really needs to be told they are lying to themselves?  Or can you consider that they are just having a bit of fun and that when other posters feel the urge to put them in their place that it just comes across as a bit needy and attention seeking?

Folk should calm down.  It is possible to have realistic expectations, but also to indulge in a bit of tongue in cheek fantasy.  Surely the point of a fan forum is to have a bit of fun?   Save the wringing of hands for the stress of a tight match.  We should be able to enjoy the period off the back of a big win.  hug
[ Last edit by *Sparkle* July 23, 2013, 11:24 PM ] IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

The great British player will be back!

Re: Andy at the Rogers Cup 2013 « Reply #199 on: July 23, 2013, 11:38 PM »

Can you point me to the bit where I said he'd go on a 20+ winning streak?  How does that fit in with me saying how it would be remarkable and the odds incredibly long?

I don't want to get into an argument.  It isn't my style, but Prodigy's posts (not just in this thread) are definitely influenced by the cynicism of MTF, including the aggression, being quick to antagonise, and the failure to notice when people are just enjoying themselves and not actually being "unrealistic".   So many of his posts follow their house style of just trying to wind someone up.  The other poster seemed to be confused by his "abruptness", so I was offering my explanation that it's not to be taken too personally/seriously.

Although it seems he's not the only one.  Some people on here seem to love any excuse to get into a fight, and don't bother to read what was written.  It gets in the way of over-reacting. lol

Object all you like, but if you really think my post said he'd definitely go on a 20+ winning streak, and wasn't saying how tough it would be to win all of those matches, and therefore makes me a fantasist, who is dishonest, and not focused on tennis, then I won't try to argue with you.  There isn't any point, because I generally favour logic, and facts and you don't seem to bother with them.  At least I know the difference between the Race to London points and the current ranking points. Whistle

If we are going to have a thread started so early for a tournament, you've got to expect mindless speculation, and that includes the right for some people to enjoy being a bit overly optimistic.  Do you really think that anyone suggesting a 20+ win streak really needs to be told they are lying to themselves?  Or can you consider that they are just having a bit of fun and that when other posters feel the urge to put them in their place that it just comes across as a bit needy and attention seeking?

Folk should calm down.  It is possible to have realistic expectations, but also to indulge in a bit of tongue in cheek fantasy.  Surely the point of a fan forum is to have a bit of fun?   Save the wringing of hands for the stress of a tight match.  We should be able to enjoy the period off the back of a big win.  hug

I was referring to the fact that you said Prodigy can't get involved in debates of this nature because he uses MTF so much. Also it was in response to michelle's post which was in response to Prodigy's post about Andy being unable to go on a lengthy win streak, therefore I assumed you were referring to the debate about that. Smile

Edit: Your remark about me not knowing the difference between Race and actual weekly rankings, you obviously haven't looked for the facts in that because it was actually me who explained it to Prodigy yesterday who was confused about how the Race works in relation to the weekly rankings. So I do know the difference.

Edit (2): I just realised that the Race thing was referring to Prodigy so ignore what I said. I misread what you wrote. lol
[ Last edit by GangstaMurray July 23, 2013, 11:42 PM ] IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Andy at the Rogers Cup 2013 « Reply #200 on: July 23, 2013, 11:49 PM »

Fair enough, but I think those suggesting he'd go on a lengthy winning streak weren't placing large bets  and risking their homes.  Sometimes a fun discussion is "shut-down" or derailed by a harsh, and entirely unnecessary, "injection of reality" so it feels like you've entered a combat zone, or at the very least a "no enjoying yourself zone".  I don't see the need to chastise people for using an internet forum for a bit of harmless fun.

In other news, a study showed that optimists live seven-and-a-half years longer than pessimists.   At least everyone gets to be right!  yay
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Andy at the Rogers Cup 2013 « Reply #201 on: July 23, 2013, 11:57 PM »

I wasn't really  trying to argue. Just given my opinion, is that not allowed?
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Andy at the Rogers Cup 2013 « Reply #202 on: July 24, 2013, 07:34 AM »

What fun would it be if Andy was on a massive unbeaten streak? The thing  I love the most about Andy is his unpredictability.

Yep. It would be just so boring if Andy won all his matches. Its so much more fun when he throws in a couple of consecutive 2nd round defeats. Just love it when he does that.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Andy at the Rogers Cup 2013 « Reply #203 on: July 24, 2013, 12:44 PM »

The thing is, I think there are two different discussions here. On the one side some appear to think some of us expect a great long winning streak. Well, it would be nice, but Andy doesn't need it.

On the other side, some appear to be questioning Andy's consistency. I just don't think that's fair, given the year he's had. He has won four titles this year, which includes a major and a Masters. He reached the quarters at IW for the first time in two years and reached a quarter on the clay. That's not bad.

I don't think a bit of guess-work does anyone any harm. It's fun for a start, but some of it is also based on where Andy has done well before, i.e. Canada, Cinci and Shanghai. If he's done well in those before it's quite reasonable, all things being equal, that he will again, especially given the confidence he will take from winning SW19.
IP Logged
hugoagogo69
Satellite Level

Re: Andy at the Rogers Cup 2013 « Reply #204 on: July 24, 2013, 03:58 PM »

Thank you Teejay. The voice of reason as ever. How on earth can anyone question his consistency with the year he has just had. Ok, the past few years on the tour have been up & down compared with past seasons but we all know why that was. He needed to win slams.
The next goal is obviously to reach No 1 and i'm sure Andy will put every effort in to make that happen.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Andy at the Rogers Cup 2013 « Reply #205 on: July 24, 2013, 04:28 PM »

Andy's next goal is to defend the uso.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Andy at the Rogers Cup 2013 « Reply #206 on: July 24, 2013, 04:32 PM »

Andy's next goal is to defend the uso.
I would suggest to win the next two Masters, before defending the USO.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Andy at the Rogers Cup 2013 « Reply #207 on: July 24, 2013, 05:05 PM »

Thank you Teejay. The voice of reason as ever. How on earth can anyone question his consistency with the year he has just had. Ok, the past few years on the tour have been up & down compared with past seasons but we all know why that was. He needed to win slams.
The next goal is obviously to reach No 1 and i'm sure Andy will put every effort in to make that happen.

Thanks. I don't know about 'reason', but I do try Smile.

I think you're right, and Andy has said himself, he was so focused on the slams that he took his eye off the ball in the other tournaments. It's understandable too, given how much he wanted to win a slam, and also how much external pressure there was. Well, Andy has two slams now, and all the external stuff has been silenced.

As far as no.1 is concerned, I'm sure it is a goal, but what I like is the way Andy has spoken of being focusing on his results, not on getting to no.1. He seems to get the fact that if he looks after his performances, i.e. the things I suppose he can control, the rest will look after itself.

Andy has spoken fairly recently of breaking things down into achievable goals, i.e. in the early days it would be moving up the rankings, then getting into the top 100, 50, 20 and so on. Now, it seems to me that his focus will be about what lies immediately ahead, which is Montreal and Cinci, before attempting to win the USO again  -  I've pinched referring to it like that from Todd Woodbridge. I heard him say recently that when he was playing doubles with Mark Woodford they didn't think of it as defending titles, but trying to win them again. I like how positive it sounds - . I suppose Montreal will be the immediate goal.

I'm sure Andy will do everything possible to get to no.1. I think he will, and when he does it will be fantastic.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Andy at the Rogers Cup 2013 « Reply #208 on: July 24, 2013, 05:05 PM »

Its so much more fun when he throws in a couple of consecutive 2nd round defeats. Just love it when he does that.

Are you being sarcastic or serious when you say that?
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

The great British player will be back!

Re: Andy at the Rogers Cup 2013 « Reply #209 on: July 24, 2013, 05:09 PM »

Are you being sarcastic or serious when you say that?

That's obvious sarcasm to a 'T'
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 ... 57 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »