Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy at the Rogers Cup 2013 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 [56] 57 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy at the Rogers Cup 2013

(Read 20783 times)
Rachie
Seed

Re: Andy at the Rogers Cup 2013 « Reply #825 on: August 11, 2013, 07:20 PM »

Both had ups and downs, Colin played well in 1st set. Andy started to return really well mid-end of 2nd set, and CF wasnt finishing the short balls off at the net.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Andy at the Rogers Cup 2013 « Reply #826 on: August 11, 2013, 07:24 PM »

Go to net Andy, I don't understand why he's standing back still

So agree with you, thought that was poor tactically.
Peter Fleming kept making same comment. Perhaps Colin was reluctant to tell Andy what to do. Saw him play with Marray at Queens and both were at the net there.
Disappointing really.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy at the Rogers Cup 2013 « Reply #827 on: August 11, 2013, 07:24 PM »

Oh well, it was good practice and good to watch.
Andy was smiling when they came off court.  I think the pair of them have done brilliantly in this tournament given that they've never played doubles together before, and Andy doesn't play doubles much anyway.  Their score against the world #2 was very respectable. 
IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

Re: Andy at the Rogers Cup 2013 « Reply #828 on: August 11, 2013, 07:24 PM »

Aww lovely speeches from Andy and Colin Very Happy
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Andy at the Rogers Cup 2013 « Reply #829 on: August 11, 2013, 07:25 PM »

I thought their tactics were a bit wrong. Surely Fleming should have stayed up at the net and Andy on the baseline to return. Maybe I am wrong as I am no tennis expert.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy at the Rogers Cup 2013 « Reply #830 on: August 11, 2013, 07:34 PM »

I maybe the only one who thinks this, but I think Andy was the stronger of the pair today..Colin to me seemed somewhat overwhelmed by the occasion.
I thought so too.

I don't think Andy was too disappointed.  I enjoyed seeing him playing doubles again, loss or not - I hadn't expected him and Colin to make it to the final so this was a bonus Smile
I didn't either, so this was an unexpected treat, and very good practice for Andy. 

So agree with you, thought that was poor tactically.
Peter Fleming kept making same comment. Perhaps Colin was reluctant to tell Andy what to do. Saw him play with Marray at Queens and both were at the net there.
Disappointing really.
I thought their tactics were a bit wrong. Surely Fleming should have stayed up at the net and Andy on the baseline to return. Maybe I am wrong as I am no tennis expert.
Give them a break!  I'm sure if they played together more often they would work their tactics out better.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Andy at the Rogers Cup 2013 « Reply #831 on: August 11, 2013, 07:41 PM »

Think they did fantastically well to get to the final. Their opponents are 2nd best doubles team in the world currently and the score was tight.  A great pay day for Colin in both points and cold hard cash and Andy got some match play to help sharpen him up to wipe the grin off Gulbis face (if they play).  I'm happy and frankly Andy seemed to be too.  Onwards and upwards. 
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Andy at the Rogers Cup 2013 « Reply #832 on: August 11, 2013, 08:03 PM »

@Aileen
Come off it! Andy studies the game closely and presumably know how doubles should be played Rolling Eyes

We all know what  bloody good hands he's got at the net and how reluctant he seems to be to utilise this skill. Doubles should be a splendid chance to get some more practise in.
And if he doesn't know, Colin should've told him.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Andy at the Rogers Cup 2013 « Reply #833 on: August 11, 2013, 08:49 PM »

I think Colin and Andy did so well to reach the final.  They bet lots of great doubles players along the way.   They were well beaten in the final.  At least there was some positives to take from this week.
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Andy at the Rogers Cup 2013 « Reply #834 on: August 11, 2013, 09:06 PM »

At least Colin earned some points and what do points make.....cash.
IP Logged
Tasmanian Devil
Challenger Level

Re: Andy at the Rogers Cup 2013 « Reply #835 on: August 11, 2013, 11:22 PM »

Let's face it Aileen, we don't often get the chance. TV doesn't show them often.

OMG.  Did I miss this on Sky?
IP Logged
rob92
ATP Level

Re: Andy at the Rogers Cup 2013 « Reply #836 on: August 11, 2013, 11:34 PM »

Bloody typical the only match televised and the go and lose it.  doh
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Andy at the Rogers Cup 2013 « Reply #837 on: August 12, 2013, 12:10 AM »

I think the boys did well to get to the final. They beat a number of established doubles pairings to get there. Today they were just beaten by the no.2 in the world pairing. No shame in that at all.

I agree with Peter Fleming that if Andy played more dubs he'd probably be the best in the world. He doesn't play dubs much though, for obvious reasons, doesn't need to.

Sure, they got their tactics a bit wrong today. In singles I think Andy would have seen that and changed it. In dubs you need to work with your partner. Dubs is not the place for unilateral decisions. Either way, they were beaten by an experienced doubles team. As they were a scratch pairing I don't have an issue with that. For goodness sake, they were runners up in a Masters final!

I'm chuffed that Colin's ranking will gain from their efforts this week, and that Andy was able to get more matches in. Well done boys!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Andy at the Rogers Cup 2013 « Reply #838 on: August 12, 2013, 09:09 AM »

I see the dubs as pure bonus.  Yes they got their tactics wrong in final but like others I  put that down to them not having played together since they were kids.  Amazing how well they did really considering that.   
Here's another nice interview in the BBC report , though Andy looks rather distracted (he explains why at the end!)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/23661675
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Andy at the Rogers Cup 2013 « Reply #839 on: August 12, 2013, 01:40 PM »

^ Nice to see him relaxed and sounding like he's having fun! Thanks Ruthie!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 [56] 57 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »