Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Kevin Anderson, Friday, Time: 12 noon BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy at the World Tour Finals in London 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 16 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy at the World Tour Finals in London

(Read 9230 times)
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Andy at the World Tour Finals in London « Reply #75 on: November 03, 2012, 04:44 PM »

Was trying to remember who said this was the draw they feared - should we blame you tmh for jinxing it?   But in fairness the comparisons should be nole with fed, andy with ferrer.  Though on 2nd thoughts who cares about fairness in love and tennis.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Andy at the World Tour Finals in London « Reply #76 on: November 03, 2012, 04:47 PM »

here  is Andy's kit for the WTF http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/adidas_Mens_Winter_Response_Crew/descpageMAADIDAS-AMWRCR.html
IP Logged
silver lining
Futures Level

Re: Andy at the World Tour Finals in London « Reply #77 on: November 03, 2012, 04:47 PM »

S
nah    I'm just pissed that I won't see Andy  lol.  I will have to watch group B on the Saturday  Frown

Sorry. hug
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Andy at the World Tour Finals in London « Reply #78 on: November 03, 2012, 04:50 PM »

oh no how exceedingly dull and boring.  Still who cares so long as he plays well.
hey jk just take comfort from fact it helps Andy provided he makes the SFs - and if he doesn't it would probably have meant you'd be watching him lose, which isn't much fun
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Andy at the World Tour Finals in London « Reply #79 on: November 03, 2012, 04:52 PM »

Fed's draw is a little too easy!
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Andy at the World Tour Finals in London « Reply #80 on: November 03, 2012, 04:53 PM »

Cue the comments about him dressing in Scottish colours....
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Andy at the World Tour Finals in London « Reply #81 on: November 03, 2012, 04:53 PM »

looking forward to pseuofed's take on the draw
IP Logged
ally
Challenger Level

Re: Andy at the World Tour Finals in London « Reply #82 on: November 03, 2012, 04:55 PM »

Cue the comments about him dressing in Scottish colours....

That's funny, I have just said Scottish blue.

If I am reading this correctly, does this mean Andy will be playing on Wednesday?
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Andy at the World Tour Finals in London « Reply #83 on: November 03, 2012, 04:56 PM »

That's funny, I have just said Scottish blue.

If I am reading this correctly, does this mean Andy will be playing on Wednesday?
yes he should be ally, mon, wed and fri.
IP Logged
ally
Challenger Level

Re: Andy at the World Tour Finals in London « Reply #84 on: November 03, 2012, 04:59 PM »

Thanks Ruthie.  I thought I had worked it out ok.  Never been before but going on Wednesday - can't believe my luck, and can't wait.

I know it is a hard group for him but he usually plays better when he has it tough.  I just can't wait to see some fabulous tennis and watch Andy's fighting spirit.
IP Logged
dave_ladder
Junior

Re: Andy at the World Tour Finals in London « Reply #85 on: November 03, 2012, 05:01 PM »

He's 6-1 against Tsonga and 5-3 against Tipsy. I wouldn't say Tsonga is the tougher match-up.

Besides, if we want him to win he has to be the BEST. I actually prefer this draw over an easy one. Because if he gets through it it will be so much more awesome and impressive. It also means he will get an easier semi-final if he gets there. I don't really understand why everyone is so bloody pessimistic. If he plays well, he'll get out of the group-phase. And if he doesn't then he doesn't deserve to win the title.

Tsonga/Tipsarevic is the one that could be argued either way, but in my opinion I'd still rather he played Tipsarevic.

I'm not being pessimistic, but if we're discussing the draw at all (rather than just saying every draw is as good as any other - in which case why discuss it in the first place?) then there are good draws and bad draws. This is clearly a bad draw in my opinion and I don't think any of this "he has to beat the best to be the best" stuff really stands up to much in reality. The draw absolutely matters in deciding who wins the tournament and I don't know why we always shy away from that fact - it doesn't mean we have to be down in the dumps about it, but it makes a difference.

The one positive is, as you say, that if he does get through he could end up with an easier semi-final (and might not have to beat Djokovic/Federer back to back).
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Andy at the World Tour Finals in London « Reply #86 on: November 03, 2012, 05:07 PM »

I have started the first match thread of the WTF.
IP Logged
silver lining
Futures Level

Re: Andy at the World Tour Finals in London « Reply #87 on: November 03, 2012, 05:14 PM »

Tsonga/Tipsarevic is the one that could be argued either way, but in my opinion I'd still rather he played Tipsarevic.

I'm not being pessimistic, but if we're discussing the draw at all (rather than just saying every draw is as good as any other - in which case why discuss it in the first place?) then there are good draws and bad draws. This is clearly a bad draw in my opinion and I don't think any of this "he has to beat the best to be the best" stuff really stands up to much in reality. The draw absolutely matters in deciding who wins the tournament and I don't know why we always shy away from that fact - it doesn't mean we have to be down in the dumps about it, but it makes a difference.

The one positive is, as you say, that if he does get through he could end up with an easier semi-final (and might not have to beat Djokovic/Federer back to back).

Well, my general opinion is, people should stop over-analysing everything. It's not like the draw is going to change just because we aren't happy with it. And of course there are positives. Being in the tougher group means he will be prepared for a potentially tough semi-final/final. Again, in my opinion the best player should win the tournament, not the one with the best draw. Just because you have an easy group doesn't mean you'll win the title. I'd rather have it this way than him losing to any of the guys in the other group.

It is what it is and Andy likes a challenge. He always seems to play better when his chances seem somewhat slim. If you think he would have gotten out of the other group by playing sh*t, you are mistaken.
IP Logged
dave_ladder
Junior

Re: Andy at the World Tour Finals in London « Reply #88 on: November 03, 2012, 05:59 PM »

Well, my general opinion is, people should stop over-analysing everything. It's not like the draw is going to change just because we aren't happy with it. And of course there are positives. Being in the tougher group means he will be prepared for a potentially tough semi-final/final. Again, in my opinion the best player should win the tournament, not the one with the best draw. Just because you have an easy group doesn't mean you'll win the title. I'd rather have it this way than him losing to any of the guys in the other group.

It is what it is and Andy likes a challenge. He always seems to play better when his chances seem somewhat slim. If you think he would have gotten out of the other group by playing sh*t, you are mistaken.

You're entitled to your opinion, of course, but I just don't understand this way of thinking. It's almost as though rather than accepting it's a bad draw we have to pretend there are positives - he'll try harder, he always does better in the big matches, it will be more impressive when he wins, the draw doesn't make any difference anyway, etc.

I prefer to just call a spade a spade. It makes things harder for him, but he's still one of the favourites to get through the group so there's no reason to be pessimistic about it. Nobody is saying that he could have got through the other group by playing sh*t, simply that it's a harder group so he has less margin for error. We've seen it countless times where a player like Nadal (in particular) plays a terrible match early on in a tournament against a lesser player, but scrapes through and goes on to win the whole thing. With a bad draw you don't get the luxury of having an off day like that.
IP Logged
silver lining
Futures Level

Re: Andy at the World Tour Finals in London « Reply #89 on: November 03, 2012, 06:16 PM »

I don't pretend there are positives. I just think people focus too much on draws and stuff. If he is the best player right now, he will win no matter who he faces. That's the way I see it. Smile Nothing more to say about this. And if he can't beat 2 of the three he doesn't deserve the title anyway.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 16 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »