Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Andrey Kuznetsov, Saturday, Estimated time - 5:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy at the World Tour Finals in London 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 ... 16 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy at the World Tour Finals in London

(Read 8283 times)
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Andy at the World Tour Finals in London « Reply #135 on: November 04, 2012, 12:36 PM »

Guys,this is an extract from a longer article-I've only put down the bits about Andy.I've also put it in the news thread.

One final push for world's top players

Early afternoon inside the O2 Arena and with people laying carpets, plugging cables and fixing lights around them, Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray traded blows on the blue court, reviving memories of their classic US Open final less than two months ago.

"I can assure you there wasn't the same intensity in that session," joked Murray afterwards. But there was still sufficient quality to remind us which is the preeminent rivalry in the autumn of 2012.

This is the thing about the ATP World Tour Finals; the best in the world come together in one place, for one final push.

This may have been practice, but when the tournament begins on Monday, Murray and Djokovic will continue a rivalry which has since moved from New York to Shanghai (where they played another brilliant, deciding set final) and it would be entirely appropriate if, as well as in the group phase, they met in the final a week on Monday.

Roger Federer will definitely have something to say about that. The defending champion has won this title six times and, after defeat in the final at Basle, he pulled out of the Paris Masters to rest fully for the final week of the season.

His plan? To win Group B comfortably and then take out Murray or Djokovic or - preferably, from his point of view - both. Given his record of finishing the season strongly, who dares to stand in his way?

On Saturday night though, at the Royal Courts of Justice, an interesting insight. Taking the stage alongside Federer and the other qualifiers at the gala opening ceremony, Andy Murray was asked to reflect on his amazing season. "It's all thanks to this guy," he said, patting Federer on the back. "He made me cry at Wimbledon."

It wasn't deliberately patronising, it wasn't premeditated. It was all in good spirit because Murray has enormous respect for the Swiss. It made 400 people laugh, including Roger. But make no mistake, this was not something he would have done a year ago.

Murray, naturally shy, owned the stage at that moment and looked every bit an Olympic champion and Grand Slam winner. It was the first time I have seen him dominate Federer in public, without a tennis racquet in his hand. Read into that what you will.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/jonathanoverend/2012/11/one_final_push_for_worlds_top.html
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Andy at the World Tour Finals in London « Reply #136 on: November 04, 2012, 01:26 PM »

I love that final comment from JO about Andy owning the stage and dominating smugfed without a tennis racquet in his hand.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Andy at the World Tour Finals in London « Reply #137 on: November 04, 2012, 01:28 PM »

^ Brilliant comment cmon yeah
IP Logged
silver lining
Futures Level

Re: Andy at the World Tour Finals in London « Reply #138 on: November 04, 2012, 03:49 PM »

I would love to watch his speech. I hope they will upload it on youtube later.
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Andy at the World Tour Finals in London « Reply #139 on: November 04, 2012, 03:59 PM »

Quote from Andy
“I’m always motivated when I play the best players in the world. I think if you’re playing at the top of any sport, you want to compete against the best guys. It’s the best mark of where your game’s at".
Yes Andy, but I sometimes think that you do not realise that to the 'lesser' players YOU are one of those "Best Players", and that they are super motivated when playing against you. So you should not bring your B game to play, just because you are not super motivated.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Andy at the World Tour Finals in London « Reply #140 on: November 04, 2012, 04:09 PM »

Quote from Andy
“I’m always motivated when I play the best players in the world. I think if you’re playing at the top of any sport, you want to compete against the best guys. It’s the best mark of where your game’s at".
Yes Andy, but I sometimes think that you do not realise that to the 'lesser' players YOU are one of those "Best Players", and that they are super motivated when playing against you. So you should not bring your B game to play, just because you are not super motivated.
I think you have misunderstood what Andy was saying, Andy always respects all his opponents and this is that he always comes to his matches fully motivated.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Andy at the World Tour Finals in London « Reply #141 on: November 04, 2012, 04:23 PM »

Quote from Andy

I have thought this for a while I always worry more when he plays anyone below top 20 especially. Not sure though its in anyway disrespectful. After all we are all motivated by different things at work. Do think its something andy needs to deal with though. 
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Andy at the World Tour Finals in London « Reply #142 on: November 04, 2012, 04:58 PM »

Peter F and Greg R tipped smugfed to win - partly based on easy draw but also on having won before. Then Nole.  Neither mentioned Andy.  Just hope Andy shows them.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy at the World Tour Finals in London « Reply #143 on: November 04, 2012, 05:31 PM »

I really think we should take just 1 match at a time and not worry about anything else. Negative attracts negative so why go there.
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Andy at the World Tour Finals in London « Reply #144 on: November 04, 2012, 05:50 PM »

Peter F and Greg R tipped smugfed to win - partly based on easy draw but also on having won before. Then Nole.  Neither mentioned Andy.  Just hope Andy shows them.
Yes I saw that, just because Fed won last year, he hasn't played well recently and didn't win Basel or Paris like last year, I really hope he dosnt . Andy will show them, what a year he has had coming into this event, which he hadn't last year.
IP Logged
Johnny Handsome
Futures Level

Re: Andy at the World Tour Finals in London « Reply #145 on: November 04, 2012, 05:50 PM »

so is it likely he will play friday night?? might book it. Help  unsure
IP Logged
caroline
ATP Level

Re: Andy at the World Tour Finals in London « Reply #146 on: November 04, 2012, 06:02 PM »

Thanks for those great video clips guys.And to all the guys going to the O2 have a great time.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Andy at the World Tour Finals in London « Reply #147 on: November 04, 2012, 06:03 PM »

could be either afternoon or evening jh - impossible to predict really .  Two years ago he did play his 3rd match in the evening but I doubt that means anything.  You may not know till thursday evening.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Andy at the World Tour Finals in London « Reply #148 on: November 04, 2012, 06:06 PM »

Does anyone know if the BBC will be streaming online in hd?
IP Logged
Johnny Handsome
Futures Level

Re: Andy at the World Tour Finals in London « Reply #149 on: November 04, 2012, 06:22 PM »

could be either afternoon or evening jh - impossible to predict really .  Two years ago he did play his 3rd match in the evening but I doubt that means anything.  You may not know till thursday evening.
so frustrating!...would be a bit gutted to end up with djokovic-berdych...guess il leave it for now.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 ... 16 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »