Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic, Friday, Time - 6:30pm GMT - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy at US Open 2012 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 30 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy at US Open 2012

(Read 18393 times)
sickboy1888
Junior

Andy at US Open 2012 « on: August 18, 2012, 12:17 AM »

With just over a week to go and despite the setback this week I got a real good feeling that Andy is going to do it this time.My only hope from the draw is he gets Federer in his half of the draw and avoids Del Porto in his quarter. nervous nervous
IP Logged
hugoagogo69
Satellite Level

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 10:32 AM »

Yeah, slams are completely different kettle of fish. Andy will get a proper rest now after his heroics & as long as he gets in the zone he was in at the Olympics, he will win & i don't care what half of the draw, because he can beat anyone when he is playing like that!!
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 10:38 AM »

With just over a week to go and despite the setback this week I got a real good feeling that Andy is going to do it this time.My only hope from the draw is he gets Federer in his half of the draw and avoids Del Porto in his quarter. nervous nervous
Andy's H2H against Del Po is good, so I really don't think he will be a problem also I have a feeling his wrist injury will be an issue.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 01:40 PM »

Let's see how he plays against Nole before jumping to conclusions about his "wrist injury." He's looked rather good so far.
IP Logged
sickboy1888
Junior

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 02:50 PM »

Yeah not so much fearful of DP but feel out the rest of the 5th seed to 8th seed players, he is playing best at moment and therefore most likely to be in the 1/4 Finals.Idealy Andy would play someone outside top 10/16 in Quarters  yay
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 03:25 PM »

Andy will be able to beat Del Potro but it will be a hard fought match. It's Berdych who's really dangerous even if he's out of form.
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 09:20 PM »

I just found this article and didn't know where to put it, but it has to do with the open so here it is:

Two Out Of Three Sets At Majors Idea Being Talked About

During the Olympics, a couple of TV commentators tossed out the idea of changing the majors men’s singles format from three out of five sets to two out of three sets, like what was done during the Olympic until the final. The top players have different reactions to it, but all of them see the many sides of the equation.

“I wouldn’t deny it, definitely,” said No. 2 Novak Djokovic. “From one side it would be maybe better for us because then we could get more rest and not get into those long couple of hours’ matches. On the other hand, it’s been a tradition of this sport for many years, and we all try to respect the tradition. I think that is why tennis is so global and respected throughout the world, because we keep our tradition, keep our tournaments. So it’s a very fine line. It’s very hard to say. But at least we have a day between the matches of best of five where you can rest.”

Andy Roddick, who has been struggling with injuries during the past two years, didn’t seem adverse to the idea.

“I wouldn’t be against it, Roddick said. “It’s tough, because I could easily argue both ways. From a fan perspective and a TV perspective, it would probably be easier to put together a product for TV when you know the time slots a little bit more. Sometimes at Slams you get a match that’s great, but it kind of makes it tricky as far as TV. That’s kind of the livelihood of healthy sport in general is TV viewership. Ultimately it comes back down to what the fans want to see. I think our opinion on that sometimes is secondary to what they can sell and what they can package.”

Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal have said in the past that they like the three out of five set format the best because the more sets a player has to win, the more often that the better players come through, which is why both have of them have rarely lost to lesser players at the majors. Andy Murray appears to be in their camp.

“I like the best of five format in the slams, that extra mental effort and physical effort you see the rewards that you put in off the court ,” Murray said. “When you play a best of three set match, some of the matches [in the Masters Series] are like 50 minutes, an hour and 10 minutes. You need to be very quick and agile, but you don’t necessarily have to have great endurance. I think that is one of the added benefits of the best-of five set matches. You get to see that from the players, and you get to see how much work they put in in the gym, as well.”
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 09:29 PM »

I really like the  best of five format. That's what gives the Slam a different look and feel not to mention, separate them from rest of the tournaments. I'd hate it if this format changes by any chance in the future. It's already dull with most of the surfaces playing in similar fashion and speed. Glad that Andy agrees as well.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 09:34 PM »

I'd hate to see Majors go to best of three - the best of five format is what makes them different.  Watching a player come back from two sets down is great.
IP Logged
sickboy1888
Junior

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 09:36 PM »

I like best of 5 too but what needs to be done is play a tie breaker in 5th sets now.Cant be having these 18-16 sets in this day and age
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #10 on: August 18, 2012, 09:50 PM »

I like best of 5 too but what needs to be done is play a tie breaker in 5th sets now.Cant be having these 18-16 sets in this day and age

That's a very good point actually. When a match in a major goes to final set, it's really unfair to those players, who fought so hard to come to this point to finally decide a match based on a TB. It just takes away so much from them but at the same time, sometimes, it's so hard to break one's serve as at that point they become so engaged in a match that, they simply can't give up just like that but in turn, the much becomes somewhat tedious. I am still going to favour no TB in the final set simply as the latter has a very rare percentage to occur and also, the players won't feel it wasn't fair. This is still for the players to decide.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #11 on: August 18, 2012, 10:54 PM »

The best of 5 format definitely means less shock results so no wonder the top players are for it. I think Andy would have beaten Chardy this week if it was best of 5 and it saved Andy last year at the USO against Robin Haas.

Obviously Andy's build up the the USO has been a washout but I still think he should make the semi-finals.   Joker and Fed fight it out in Cincinnatti tomorrow and both these guys are match tough on this surface. Andy isn't and I suspect many people's confidence has taken a nose-dive this week. Mine included! I wonder if the surface is slightly too fast for Andy's game. The Australian Open surface is a bit slower and Andy always seems to coast through to the semis there.

As regards the draw Id prefer Andy to avoid Delpo. Probably best to avoid Ferrer as well. Berdych and Raonic don't worry me at all. Federer or Joker's half? Honestly I don't have a preference.

Can't wait for this to start. Its up to Andy now to prove the doubters wrong. One perfect tournament from him to end 75 years of hurt.
IP Logged
sickboy1888
Junior

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #12 on: August 19, 2012, 02:45 AM »

The best of 5 format definitely means less shock results so no wonder the top players are for it. I think Andy would have beaten Chardy this week if it was best of 5 and it saved Andy last year at the USO against Robin Haas.

Obviously Andy's build up the the USO has been a washout but I still think he should make the semi-finals.   Joker and Fed fight it out in Cincinnatti tomorrow and both these guys are match tough on this surface. Andy isn't and I suspect many people's confidence has taken a nose-dive this week. Mine included! I wonder if the surface is slightly too fast for Andy's game. The Australian Open surface is a bit slower and Andy always seems to coast through to the semis there.

As regards the draw Id prefer Andy to avoid Delpo. Probably best to avoid Ferrer as well. Berdych and Raonic don't worry me at all. Federer or Joker's half? Honestly I don't have a preference.

Can't wait for this to start. Its up to Andy now to prove the doubters wrong. One perfect tournament from him to end 75 years of hurt.

Andy wont meet Ferrer till the final as they will be 3 & 4 this year and I would love to play David Ferrer in the final LOL
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #13 on: August 19, 2012, 03:02 AM »

Majors should stay at bo5 imo, but I'd like the 5th to go to a TB.. something I've heard Johnny Mac advocate for many times during his commentaries. Matches are getting longer and longer, and this affects TV scheduling also.

As for Andy at USO. I cannot wait!
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #14 on: August 19, 2012, 07:08 AM »

I agree, best of 5, but  tie breaks in the fifth, until the final which should be a fight to the bitter end be it 18-16 or whatever. thumb up
Also agree with BigNose, think AO is Andy's best shot at his first slam. Though he is US junior champ. The only one that year that Monfils didn't snag.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 30 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »