Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy at US Open 2012 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 30 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Andy at US Open 2012  (Read 15106 times)
Johnny Handsome
Futures Level

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #90 on: August 22, 2012, 06:52 PM »

some of the strangest murray performances iv seen have come at the us open (cilic 09' wawrinka10' haase 11') so i think il reserve my predictions for the semis should he get there!
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #91 on: August 22, 2012, 06:54 PM »

Think he was carrying a wrist injury against Cilic.
Am convinced Andy, Nole and Delboy will be in the same half, oh with Berdych, Raonic and Tsonga of course, and Fed will waltz out first on Monday. naughty
Cynical moi Whistle
Hoping to be proved wrong.... Rolling Eyes
[ Last edit by blueberryhill August 22, 2012, 06:57 PM ] IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #92 on: August 22, 2012, 07:19 PM »

Cynical toi?  Well as they say I may be paranoid but they're still out to get me.  Similarly you may be cynical but I bet they're still out to get Andy/favour smugfed.  That said Andy so often thrives on a bad draw that I don't think we should despair should it come to pass as it no doubt will.  Indeed, perhaps there will be a double bluff ie they realise now that Andy does well when dealt a hard draw so perhaps they'll give him an easy one for a change.  Not that I believe in conspiracy theories of course  Whistle

Can someone remind me what time the draw is tomorrow BST?
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #93 on: August 22, 2012, 07:27 PM »

Not worried about the draw, but the scheduling could suck Frown
IP Logged
Dropnet

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #94 on: August 22, 2012, 07:54 PM »

I just hope that Andy will arrive at the start with clean and free mind. He must think about London2012 just to remember himself that he can do it, against everyone; but stop, then it, he need to be focus on every single round.
And i still hope that he will not think a lot about loss with Chardy: i didn't like that loss and the way he played it.

Andy's largest gap with best 3 players is about mental way to play. When he is not in his best day, he risks to play poor, before with mind and then with strokes and footwork.
I would like to see an Andy that finds a way to fight even if that day is not the best day for him. I will support Andy for ever and I see every his match, but i become crazy when he appears like a child that doesn't want to go to school that day.

C'mon Andy, you can do it!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #95 on: August 22, 2012, 08:11 PM »

Not worried about the draw, but the scheduling could suck Frown
Yes agree and, paranoia aside, that's where the powers that be can really shaft Andy and advantage smugfed.  shocking

Have now checked and the draw is 12 noon Eastern time so I think that's 5pm BST.
[ Last edit by Ruthie August 22, 2012, 08:16 PM ] IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #96 on: August 22, 2012, 08:16 PM »

I'm always a bit cautious about the US Open. It's a surface where if Andy's not playing well he can be blown off the court quickly, but at the same time the surface will really help him if he's playing aggressively and with confidence. Depending on the draw, I wouldn't be surprised if the final two left are Fed and Andy - just hope the result will be different the next time they meet in a slam final!
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #97 on: August 22, 2012, 08:39 PM »

Not worried about the draws right now. Not even thinking about it. I am also not going to think about the whole tournament. Would just love to take one day at a time and stay focused on what's happening right now. Anything else feels irrelevant and unnecessary.  However, wishing everyone an injury free tournament and hope things work out in the fairest manner possible for each player in terms of draws, weather and schedule.
IP Logged
isabel

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #98 on: August 22, 2012, 10:21 PM »

Back from the second day of qualies and again saw Andy twice. He had the same routine as yesterday of practicing for an hour on the outer practice courts next to Serena. He then headed to the main courts for a practice set with Wawrinka. Thankfully he was on Grandstand this time, so I got a good close up view of him. His movement and return game looked great, but his ground strokes were a little rusty even given that his game does not usually match up well with Stan's. He was missing a lot of forehands into the net at the earlier practice session. Andy was broken early in the set on a double-fault, but then eventually played himself into the set. Every time he plays with Stan, I feel that Stan always manages to get Andy to be more passive than usual and this was the case early in the set. Lendl was constantly telling Andy to "go after the ball." Stan's forehand began to break down and thanks to a couple of outright return winners from Andy, he managed to break back. Of course, at this inopportune time, it started to rain quite heavily, and the players left the court. I decided to leave after this because I figured since it was 4 all in the set, they wouldn't come back out just to finish two more games and the rain did not look like it would pass quickly.

Interestingly while at the Grandstand, I was sitting in front of a couple of elderly Fed fans. It was absolutely hilarious/maddening to listen to them opine about Andy. They were convinced that he was from the Shetland Islands (lol- close enough to Scotland eh?) and decided that the islands have always had a prickly relationship with the rest of the UK and this was why Andy was disliked. I had such a hard time suppressing a fit of laughter at the turn this conversation was taking. Of course after this they progressed to the Olympic match and how it was obvious that Fed didn't really want the medal, how he was sorely disadvantaged by having to play the Delpo match the day before the final, blah blah blah along with a litany of other excuses. Eavesdropping on tennis spectator conversations is equally exasperating and entertaining Wink
[ Last edit by isabel August 23, 2012, 12:55 AM ] IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #99 on: August 22, 2012, 10:29 PM »

Thanks for the latest report Isabel.  I'd thought Andy might play practice sets with Ferrer as they won't be in same half of draw and are friends.  Plenty of time for him to sort out that fh.
Found this on USO website - it includes some positive quotes from Andy, some of which I don't recall reading before:
http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/articles/2012-08-22/201208221345666704005.html
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #100 on: August 23, 2012, 12:35 AM »

Oh Isabel you missed the chance to tell them that the match with Delpo was two days before the final and Andy played two doubles matches the day before the

final.    Will Andy ever get full credit for his achievements?
IP Logged
isabel

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #101 on: August 23, 2012, 12:54 AM »

Oh...I knew well enough that Fed had a day's rest in between matches, but these Fed fans were so devoted to qualifying Andy's performance in the final that even if I had corrected them, it would not have changed their viewpoint.
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #102 on: August 23, 2012, 01:00 AM »

Oh...I knew well enough that Fed had a day's rest in between matches, but these Fed fans were so devoted to qualifying Andy's performance in the final that even if I had corrected them, it would not have changed their viewpoint.

I think you're absolutely right. I've read numerous posts on different forums about how Federer gifted Andy the gold medal. He decided to give something back to the British public who have been so good to him over the years. How kind of Fed. Some fans are just crazy.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #103 on: August 23, 2012, 03:23 AM »

I think you're absolutely right. I've read numerous posts on different forums about how Federer gifted Andy the gold medal. He decided to give something back to the British public who have been so good to him over the years. How kind of Fed. Some fans are just crazy.

So are some Andy fans as well though Wink Fed fans don't have the monopoly on crazy lol
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #104 on: August 23, 2012, 06:15 AM »

Back from the second day of qualies and again saw Andy twice. He had the same routine as yesterday of practicing for an hour on the outer practice courts next to Serena. He then headed to the main courts for a practice set with Wawrinka. Thankfully he was on Grandstand this time, so I got a good close up view of him. His movement and return game looked great, but his ground strokes were a little rusty even given that his game does not usually match up well with Stan's. He was missing a lot of forehands into the net at the earlier practice session. Andy was broken early in the set on a double-fault, but then eventually played himself into the set. Every time he plays with Stan, I feel that Stan always manages to get Andy to be more passive than usual and this was the case early in the set. Lendl was constantly telling Andy to "go after the ball." Stan's forehand began to break down and thanks to a couple of outright return winners from Andy, he managed to break back. Of course, at this inopportune time, it started to rain quite heavily, and the players left the court. I decided to leave after this because I figured since it was 4 all in the set, they wouldn't come back out just to finish two more games and the rain did not look like it would pass quickly.

Interestingly while at the Grandstand, I was sitting in front of a couple of elderly Fed fans. It was absolutely hilarious/maddening to listen to them opine about Andy. They were convinced that he was from the Shetland Islands (lol- close enough to Scotland eh?) and decided that the islands have always had a prickly relationship with the rest of the UK and this was why Andy was disliked. I had such a hard time suppressing a fit of laughter at the turn this conversation was taking. Of course after this they progressed to the Olympic match and how it was obvious that Fed didn't really want the medal, how he was sorely disadvantaged by having to play the Delpo match the day before the final, blah blah blah along with a litany of other excuses. Eavesdropping on tennis spectator conversations is equally exasperating and entertaining Wink

Glad that you're making the most of the practice sessions.

I don't know how you managed to stop yourself! innocent  I couldn't have! devil  I'm going to the AO with a BIG Fed fan but she's shares the same birthday as me, is a Brit, from the North of England (like me) and likes Andy, so not all bad!  Luckily we have another friend that travels with us that can keep us apart if needs be Very Happy

Sorry to hear that rain's about.  Scotnadian mentioned something about Hurricane Isaac making it's way up the eastern coast - that one needs to blow away pretty darn quick!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 30 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »