Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy at US Open 2012 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 30 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy at US Open 2012

(Read 17304 times)
Philip
Seed

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #30 on: August 19, 2012, 04:24 PM »

On the subject of length of tennis games I have come up with this
What do you think?  cmon yeah cmon yeah yay nervous

No I don't think it would work.  It would give too much advantage to the big servers. This means that apart from the final set, in whichever set they serve first, they are almost certain to win. Watching serves whizzing by is no fun for spectators. Sure, it will reduce TV time, but the purpose of watching tennis is to enjoy the beautiful game, the rallies, the volleys, slices, lobs, etc... So what if it takes 4 hours to watch Joe beating Raonic 25-23 in the final set or Djokovic taking 6 hours beating Nadal, or even the 11 hours of Isner vs Mahut winning 70-68 in the 5th set.  It is part of the drama, fun of watching the sport.

No one is forcing the fan to watch if he / she prefers/needs to do something else.  It will mess up the schedule a bit but so what.

One thing though I would change which is to introduce the final set tie-break in all matches except for in the final match as someone else suggested recently.  The winner of a very long 5th set will be too exhausted to be able to compete properly in the following round.

The suggested idea by sickboy1888 can be modified to be say first to 4 games in each set except if the score is 3-3 then play a tie-break.  Tie-breaks are exciting to watch because it somewhat nullifies the server's strength and it is not certain who is going to win.  In a shorter scoring set, the underdog has a better chance of winning because he/she doesn't need to keep up the level of effort for such a long time.
[ Last edit by Philip August 19, 2012, 04:31 PM ] IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #31 on: August 19, 2012, 06:09 PM »

I'm actually quite relived that Andy didn't exhaust himself during this US open series swing.  He could have  .. though.  Look at Novak for example.  Played 2 weeks of tennis.  he looks knackered.  No wonder he just got bagelled by Fed.  Yikes.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #32 on: August 19, 2012, 07:27 PM »

I'm actually quite relived that Andy didn't exhaust himself during this US open series swing.  He could have  .. though.  Look at Novak for example.  Played 2 weeks of tennis.  he looks knackered.  No wonder he just got bagelled by Fed.  Yikes.

History would tell us Joker should be fine for the USO as will Federer. Andy we can only pray and hope. He's played 5 tournaments since 11th June and been knocked out in the first round at Queens, the 2nd round at Cincy and played only one match in Canada. Andy won't be tired that's for sure. I just hope the surface is slower at Flushing Meadows.

Another thing I hope is the schedule is favourable. They usually like to start Andy on the Wednesday, 2 days after the tournament starts. I hope they start him on Monday for a change.
Andy also needs to avoid long 4-5 setters to have a chance IMO. A long 5 setter will probably finish him off for later matches.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #33 on: August 19, 2012, 07:31 PM »

^ I think for that to happen Andy would have to be in Fed's half, which is extremely unlikely.
Just watch Fed getting a peachy draw and a peachy schedule. yawn
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #34 on: August 19, 2012, 07:41 PM »

Agree. Actually had mixed feelings re: Nole making the finals of Cincy - was kind of hoping he'd've lost earlier to Delpo or someone. Just too much tennis: guy was in finals Rome, finals RG, semis Wimby, semis OG, won Canada, finals Cincy. Thought maybe he'd find the reserves but sputtered out today.

So yeah, good that Andy got a break pre-USO. I hope he's been working with Lendl and is ready to kick some butt!! Wink
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #35 on: August 19, 2012, 07:41 PM »

History would tell us Joker should be fine for the USO as will Federer. Andy we can only pray and hope. He's played 5 tournaments since 11th June and been knocked out in the first round at Queens, the 2nd round at Cincy and played only one match in Canada. Andy won't be tired that's for sure. I just hope the surface is slower at Flushing Meadows.

Another thing I hope is the schedule is favourable. They usually like to start Andy on the Wednesday, 2 days after the tournament starts. I hope they start him on Monday for a change.
Andy also needs to avoid long 4-5 setters to have a chance IMO. A long 5 setter will probably finish him off for later matches.
doh hammer lame wthell zz nah Shrug Boo hoo! pullhair retard
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #36 on: August 19, 2012, 07:52 PM »

^ I think for that to happen Andy would have to be in Fed's half, which is extremely unlikely.
Just watch Fed getting a peachy draw and a peachy schedule. yawn

Yeah Federer is probably due a tough draw and Andy an easier one. Tippsy's quarter would do nicely. Its swings and roundabouts though and it evens itself out over time. Andy has had some easy draws at the Aussie Open in recent years. Also the 2011 French Open when he reached the semis he couldn't have hand-picked a better draw.
IP Logged
Philip
Seed

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #37 on: August 19, 2012, 08:05 PM »

Last year, Nole had a superhuman run of wins up till the end of the USO and then ran out of gas for the rest of the year. I wonder if something similar will occur this year.
IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #38 on: August 19, 2012, 08:36 PM »

That's mainly because USO happens to be the last Slam of the year and having not won a Slam yet, that automatically puts the most pressure on Andy hence the tight results since 2008. From 2011 on, things are slightly different as I do believe Andy is more consistent than ever as far as GSs are concerned. And now that he has added the Olympics gold medal to his success and has also made the final of Wimbledon first time and to take into a couple of other factors such as, Nadal not being there although he might still have to play two top players regardless, and the fact that he has now Lendl on his side, I'd say he's taken a lot of the pressure off. So keeping all that in mind, winning USO is perfectly doable but it's not mandatory. With those two achievements in mind, I believe Andy will rest the year with much satisfaction. He can go and win a few tournaments after USO and stay where he is rankingwise or perhaps move one step further and take the No. 3 spot from Nadal. When we look back, I am sure this year will be a milestone year for Andy regardless.

I am as realistic as I can be and that's why I thought the loss to Chardy was good taking all things into account. Even if Andy goes out early (God forbid) at the Open, I'll be fine - though I am not sure about others. And I know Andy will be back with new motivation next year. I never expect too much from Andy anyway - only as much as he can give though GS losses are very hard to take regardless, but I do take comfort in the fact that, he has set much bigger ground this year than ever.

Very true. Its already a great year for Andy and am proud no matter what...Would Love to see a US sucess but think we will have to wait till Oz for first slam.

I'm actually quite relived that Andy didn't exhaust himself during this US open series swing.  He could have  .. though.  Look at Novak for example.  Played 2 weeks of tennis.  he looks knackered.  No wonder he just got bagelled by Fed.  Yikes.

Novak looked a spent force today and i know he's not the same level he was last year, but last year in cincy we all thought Novak had burnt himself out but he was sensational at USO, the result today means about as much as the murray-chardy result. One thing i will say though is Mr Perfect looks as fresh as a daisy and probably is slight favorite for USO unbelievable effort from him at 31.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #39 on: August 19, 2012, 08:55 PM »

Yes, I agree. That's all Andy is left with right now. Would you please pray for him next time you go to the church and light about 20 candles? Thanks!
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #40 on: August 19, 2012, 09:06 PM »

Ah, this leaves a bitter taste in the mouth with Andy losing to Chardy this week and today, Nole losing to Federer in the final. Hopefully, the end will be very, very sweet!
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #41 on: August 19, 2012, 09:18 PM »

^ Indeed. Fingers crossed for a cheerful end to the season - from the USO through to the WTF, go Nole and Andy!!  cmon yeah I don't care which one of the two wins what; I just want it to be them coming through to win more often than not. I am assuming Nadal will be out, or just slowly back. And we know who the other main contender is: he who shall not be named today.  Whistle Wink
IP Logged
Jayel
Junior

IT JUST GETS BETTER

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #42 on: August 19, 2012, 09:41 PM »

Is it really credible that Fed's easy draws are a matter of random choice?I doubt if this is worth any consideration as a serious proposition.In any event I think Andy is in a good place right now and is not as likely to put himself down as he has sometimes in the past.All he needs to do is think I am the Olympic gold medal winner I did not have a cushy draw and I beat Nole in the semis and thrashed old man Fed in the final.What more motivation does anyone need?Go Andy go!!!
IP Logged
hugoagogo69
Satellite Level

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #43 on: August 20, 2012, 12:38 AM »

I don't necessarily think a hard draw would be a bad thing! As long as he is in form, he can beat anyone, as we all know, especially over 5 sets. I found in the past if Andy has an easier path, it can go against him  cause when he finally meets quality opposition he has not been tested. Playing in a harder half is more likely to bring the best out of him & get him more in the zone. Its all about peaking at the right time as well, as i'm sure he was disappointed about the Chardy match but that was not the real Andy playing. I am feeling so confident about the uso!!
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #44 on: August 20, 2012, 07:45 AM »

I don't necessarily think a hard draw would be a bad thing! As long as he is in form, he can beat anyone, as we all know, especially over 5 sets. I found in the past if Andy has an easier path, it can go against him  cause when he finally meets quality opposition he has not been tested. Playing in a harder half is more likely to bring the best out of him & get him more in the zone.

In a Masters maybe. Is it any coincidence that Andy has only won one set in 4 Grand Slam finals. I reckon he is knackered both physically and mentally by that stage. The Wimbledon crowd helped him this year but he had to win that 2nd set. Even last year versus Nadal in the semis Andy looked dead tired but I guess there had been some days cancelled then due to the weather. But still Nadal toughed it out when he had to. IMO Andy needs to win all his matches in straight sets before the final almost to win this thing. And remember the USO has this crazy Saturday/Sunday thing as well which just makes it even harder for Andy.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 30 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »