Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy at US Open 2012 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 30 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy at US Open 2012

(Read 17491 times)
michelle
Seed

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #45 on: August 20, 2012, 08:44 AM »

In a Masters maybe. Is it any coincidence that Andy has only won one set in 4 Grand Slam finals. I reckon he is knackered both physically and mentally by that stage. The Wimbledon crowd helped him this year but he had to win that 2nd set. Even last year versus Nadal in the semis Andy looked dead tired but I guess there had been some days cancelled then due to the weather. But still Nadal toughed it out when he had to. IMO Andy needs to win all his matches in straight sets before the final almost to win this thing. And remember the USO has this crazy Saturday/Sunday thing as well which just makes it even harder for Andy.
Blah,blah, blah as usual.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #46 on: August 20, 2012, 08:51 AM »

Blah,blah, blah as usual.

Frown blink wtf Shrug hammer lame yuk afro flush wthell pokey retard vomit
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #47 on: August 20, 2012, 09:02 AM »

Watch out BigNose the hypodermic with long fat needle is just round the corner!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #48 on: August 20, 2012, 09:13 AM »

I agree, best of 5, but  tie breaks in the fifth, until the final which should be a fight to the bitter end be it 18-16 or whatever. thumb up

I agree this. I don't think it would be right to decide a major final on a tie-break. I'd have no problem with a tie-break fifth up until then, but a final needs that bit of something, an edge, and a fight to the end fifth would be good.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #49 on: August 20, 2012, 09:58 AM »

Oh dear, find myself agreeing with BigNose doh Andy does indeed need to finish matches quicker. There's been more than one occasion when he's played eg Ferrer, beaten him in a long exhausting match, and then played "tired tennis" the next round. Seem to remember an AO match just like that.
Especially at the USO where the weather has played such a crucial part in the matches of those not scheduled to start till Wednesday, where I'm sure Andy, not Fed, will land up.
Here's hoping that the new aggressive model can get the job done yay
It's obvious Fed's match against Delboy had taken it out of him so let's all start offering sacrifices to the tennis gods, that Fed has very, very long matches...  pray
IP Logged
hugoagogo69
Satellite Level

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #50 on: August 20, 2012, 10:16 AM »

Andy's problems were always mental, when he came up against one of the big 3 in a GS!!He's one of the most physically fit players on the tour.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #51 on: August 20, 2012, 10:54 AM »

Hi All,

I've said it before, but I'm going to say it again. Andy was my pick for this year's USO over a year ago, and I'm inclined to stick with him. I just have a feeling.

Putting intuition aside, I think Andy could go to the USO with the best mindset he has ever had in a major. I'm not saying he will, but he could. He's become pretty consistent in the majors, especially over the last year or so, and is playing to a higher standard within the majors too. Putting to one side the fact that Andy got to the final at Wimbledon, look at how he played. He was outstanding, and the same at the Olympics. That is why I would argue that the Olympics was no fluke. It seems to me to have been part of a pattern that has been developing all year through the majors, at least the majors where you might say Andy has the chance of winning. I'd never say he can't win the French, but it would be more of a surprise to me if he did compared to his chances in the other three.

As far as Andy is concerned, I think it will be interesting to see if he does go in with that extra belief that he might have been lacking before. Should he meet either Novak or Smugfed in the semi's and final - which I do think is likely, I just haven't decided which I would want him to meet where, if you know what I mean - I hope that he will be able to think that he has got through both of them now in a situation that really matters. He'll still have to do it again, but I think that awareness that he has shown himself that he can do it now could really help him. I'm not even sure that the Olympic semi being best of three, rather than best of five, is relevant. Sure, Djokovic would have had more time to work something out in five, but Andy was playing so well, and seemed to be playing with real confidence, especially in the big moments, I think he may well have still done it.

The other thing within belief is the point some of you have made that maybe the hard courts at the AO might suit Andy better. I wonder if he believes that? All I know is that he has often said that he feels his best chance is the USO, and he must have thought like that for a reason. It's funny though, some would insist Andy's best chance is grass, not the hard at all.

I think the one thing that could prove interesting is how the crowds respond to Andy. I personally like the USO because they are loud crowds without being OTT. I just wonder whether in the US they will embrace him that bit more because they will know what he did at the Olympics. He has always seemed to have gone down well with the USO crowds before, but I just wonder if now they know he has gone through the top two for a title, they will back him even more. The US does like winners. If they do get behind him I think it will help. The USO crowds are more like the Olympic crowds than a Wimbledon Championships crowd, which I think suits Andy. He seems to thrive on rowdy crowds, he even enjoyed the crowd at the French when he played Gasquet. When he started to come back, the crowd got on his back, and I swear he thought it was funny!

Of course, some of the contenders will be different at the USO, although I'm not really looking too much beyond the usual suspects, if I can call them that lol. Outside of that, I'm in two minds about Delpo. Sometimes I think he could threaten. Other times I look at him and just don't see it. If he was to meet Andy I think he would give Andy a match, but I think Andy would get through. I would think similarly of Raonic and even Berdych in a best of five. It will be interesting to see where Berdych's form is. Come to think of it, going by recent performances, even he might want to know where it is. Then there is Ferrer of course, but he couldn't meet Andy before the final in any case. Mind you, there is a thought lol.

It will be interesting to see if Nadal's absence brings others through who might not do it with him there. What I will say is that it isn't relevant to Andy, at least not early on.

I don't think the results in Toronto or Cincy are remotely anything to do with the USO this year. I'm not altogether sure the build up tournaments have any bearing in real terms anyway, I mean look at Andy at Queen's and then Andy at Wimbledon. No connection whatsoever. But with Toronto and Cincy especially, I don't think they have any bearing. It will be interesting to see how well Djokovic recovers, but something tells me he will be ready to go next week.

The draw should be interesting. Anyone want to make a bet on Andy getting another tough one? He's thrived on it lately though. Actually, did anyone hear Mark Petchey the other day saying he didn't think Andy's Wimbledon draw was that tough? I can't decide if that suggests Mark is delusional or just has a lot of faith in Andy's ability lol. Seriously though, I wouldn't want Andy to have too many long matches early on, I hope he comes out flying and ready to go from the off. That said, I do wonder if there is anything to my thought that maybe a tough draw helps him focus on the matter in hand, maybe more than having 'easy' opponents he has time to mess around with.

IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #52 on: August 20, 2012, 11:11 AM »

Not at all comcerned about Toronto and Cincy. Andy needs the rest more than the match play. I'm getting the vibe that all Andy's hard work is due to be rewarded. I hope its not wishful thinking. 
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #53 on: August 20, 2012, 12:29 PM »

Oh dear, find myself agreeing with BigNose doh Andy does indeed need to finish matches quicker. There's been more than one occasion when he's played eg Ferrer, beaten him in a long exhausting match, and then played "tired tennis" the next round. Seem to remember an AO match just like that.
Especially at the USO where the weather has played such a crucial part in the matches of those not scheduled to start till Wednesday, where I'm sure Andy, not Fed, will land up.
Here's hoping that the new aggressive model can get the job done yay
It's obvious Fed's match against Delboy had taken it out of him so let's all start offering sacrifices to the tennis gods, that Fed has very, very long matches...  pray
Yes and perhaps more important even than the draw at USO is the scheduling. As someone has pointed out, Andy invariably gets the short straw of starting last among the top players so that if he does make it to the end, he is disadvantaged.   So let's pray for some justice for the Olympic champion for once when they decide who starts when.  pray
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #54 on: August 20, 2012, 11:25 PM »

After the ranking update today the seeding for the US Open is now sorted. Of course we don't know who will miss out through injury.

This is the provisional seeding:

1 Federer
2 Djokovic
-------------------
3 Murray
4 Ferrer
-------------------
5 Tsonga
6 Berdych
7 Del Potro
8 Tipsarevic
-------------------
9 Isner
10 Monaco
11 Almagro
12 Cilic
13 Gasquet
14 Dolgopolov
15 Raonic
16 Simon
-------------------
17 Nishikori
18 Wawrinka
19 Kohlschreiber
20 Roddick
21 Haas
22 Mayer
23 Fish
24 Granollers
25 Verdasco
26 Seppi
27 Querrey
28 Youzhny
29 Troicki
30 Lopez
31 Benneteau
32 Chardy

-------------------

Those that will be seeded if any of the 32 above pull out: Istomin, Anderson, Melzer, Andujar...

These are the names I feel could be a threat to Andy in the first two rounds (in other words, the unseeded players):

Anderson, Stepanek, Baghdatis, Tomic, Nalbandian, Haase, Dimitrov, Goffin, Mahut, Harrison.

Based largely on how those players have fared against Andy in the past, with a few in-form youngsters who could be wild cards.

These guys shouldn't be much of a problem, but ultimately could be threats if Andy is not on song and well capable of taking sets of Andy.

The seeds we need to watch out for:

Round 3: Nishikori, Wawrinka, Mayer, Fish
Round 4: Isner, Cilic, Gasquet, Dolgopolov, Raonic

From the Quarters onwards they're all threats. However Berdych is out of form, Andy has a 6-1 H2H vs Tsonga and 5-1 vs Del Potro (who looked very ordinary against Djokovic). So it's the unlikely one, Tipsarevic, which I'm most worried about. He has given Andy some very close matches over the years and the H2H is quite close.

It's inevitable that Andy will draw a few of these (although watch Federer avoid all of them..), and that's not necessarily a bad thing, but these are all guys I would feel uneasy watching Andy play, and he won't be able to afford a bad match.
IP Logged
Philip
Seed

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #55 on: August 20, 2012, 11:34 PM »

Thanks MH. Based on the list provided, Andy wouldn't want to meet Nishikori and Raonic as they can take sets from Andy and tire him out for the later rounds.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #56 on: August 21, 2012, 05:58 PM »

I'd say that Federer, Nole and Andy will all be losing at least more than 1 set and to whom, it's still unknown. There will always be players who will thrive on beating a top player rather than, let’s say advancing in the tournament and making personal progress, and IMO, they are the most dangerous ones. Keeping that in mind, would be nice to see Federer playing two back to back five setters.

Anyway, going to back to Andy, it would be nice if he brings total focus and a very aggressive game. I don’t' think he needs anything more than that.
[ Last edit by Emma Jean August 21, 2012, 06:20 PM ] IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #57 on: August 21, 2012, 06:18 PM »

Thanks MH that was useful, draw on 23rd ATP site says so not long to find out. DelPo has also got a slight wrist injury, but he got blown off the court by Ferrer at Wimbledon then Andy sorted Ferrer out in the next round. Berdych is Andy's bogie man, but he is not playing so well this season and could be out before they are seeded to meet. Tipsarevic has not beaten Andy for 2 years and their H2H is good 5-3; we all know about Tsonga. Raonic in the lower rounds is the only one that worries me; he got to the quarters in Canada and Cinci. However, he was knocked out by first Isner then Stan, both players I'd expect Andy to beat.
If Andy has a good first round then the sky’s the limit!
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #58 on: August 21, 2012, 06:34 PM »

Yes, Andy needs some decent early round matches to play himself into form  pray
IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #59 on: August 21, 2012, 07:07 PM »

Tipsarevic can be dangerous but he can also be shocking he's unlikely to make QFs i reckon. so would be a good quarter for andy ( Fed's probably getting him tho)

I also wouldn't  mind to see Andy in Berdych's corner ( not so he can play him but because he'll probs be put by 4R and it may allow for a slightly easier QF- if berdy did make though it'd be 50:50 cos tomas has a game that matches up well with Andy's)
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 30 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »