Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy at US Open 2012 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 30 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy at US Open 2012

(Read 18892 times)
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #60 on: August 21, 2012, 07:31 PM »

Tipsarevic can be dangerous but he can also be shocking he's unlikely to make QFs i reckon. so would be a good quarter for andy ( Fed's probably getting him tho)

I also wouldn't  mind to see Andy in Berdych's corner ( not so he can play him but because he'll probs be put by 4R and it may allow for a slightly easier QF- if berdy did make though it'd be 50:50 cos tomas has a game that matches up well with Andy's)

50-50 on hard courts? I don't think so. Andy would win in straight sets IMO.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #61 on: August 21, 2012, 07:33 PM »

Raonic in the lower rounds is the only one that worries me; he got to the quarters in Canada and Cinci. However, he was knocked out by first Isner then Stan, both players I'd expect Andy to beat.
If Andy has a good first round then the sky’s the limit!

Raonic is completely over-rated IMO. He reached the semis in Canada only because Andy pulled out. Another straight sets win for Andy if they meet.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #62 on: August 21, 2012, 08:13 PM »

Raonic is slightly overrated but he's still dangerous. He is 5-1 against the top 4 and his only win came at Andy's expense but I don't think Andy took that match all that seriously anyway. He's almost never a threat to either Nadal or Federer; have yet to play Nole and against Andy's it's 1-0 Raonic.  He did make some noise at last year’s AO and then went on to beat Andy this year, and I believe those are his highlights so far. He’s moved very quickly in the rankings as well, so definitely nothing to sneeze at.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #63 on: August 21, 2012, 08:18 PM »

As to Berdych, I think it's 70-30 Andy at this point. I know Berdych is in a slump (MH will concur lolo), but sometimes, it takes only one good match to come back and Berdych is just that sort of player. I'd still prefer, much prefer, if they are not in the same half.
IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #64 on: August 21, 2012, 09:12 PM »

50-50 on hard courts? I don't think so. Andy would win in straight sets IMO.

As to Berdych, I think it's 70-30 Andy at this point. I know Berdych is in a slump (MH will concur lolo), but sometimes, it takes only one good match to come back and Berdych is just that sort of player. I'd still prefer, much prefer, if they are not in the same half.

Berdych is a very dangerous player, i dont think for one second Andy would like to play him. tommy leads H2H 4-2. I think my preference for Andys Qfs would be:-
1. Tipsy
2. Tsonga
3. Berdych
4. Del Po

But as i say being drawn against a berdy or even Delpo (with wrist injury) could be a blessing in disguise as either could go out before Qfs. Tsonga is the least likley to lose early i think.....Tsonga hearts
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #65 on: August 21, 2012, 10:21 PM »

Mats and Goran are backing Andy. http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/aug/21/andy-murray-mats-wilander-prediction

Mats: "My prediction is Murray winning," said Wilander, who numbered a US championship among his seven majors and who was mentioned as a candidate to coach the Scot before Ivan Lendl got the job in January. "I'm not saying that because he won the Olympics [beating Federer in three sets, after beating Djokovic in the semi-finals]. It's because I think that he's a different man. Lendl has helped him tremendously. He's becoming better physically all the time, he hits his forehand better, but the biggest difference is emotionally. He's more even-keeled, he's more positive, and there's not as much pressure for him at the US Open as there is at Wimbledon.

Goran: "I would really like to see him win it," the 2001 Wimbledon champion said. "He deserves it. He played a really great Olympic Games and I think this will give him extra motivation and confidence. The US Open is his best surface. I don't think it matters that Nadal has pulled out – I think Andy is ready, with or without him. He has beaten Rafa before anyway."

Saddened to see Darren Cahill predict Nole on his twitter. (My fave and most respected commie.) He's usually bang-on, so hoping he's wrong this time.

Everyone will be coming out of the woodwork anytime soon with their tuppenceworth.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #66 on: August 21, 2012, 10:40 PM »

Andy practicing on Arthur Ashe today.

* Arthur Ashe.jpg (264.83 KB, 1024x765 - viewed 89 times.)
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #67 on: August 21, 2012, 10:55 PM »

Ivanisevic and Wilander both think Andy will win.  I really wish people wouldn't tip him for the title. The blooming kiss of death.

http://www.atpchampionstour.com/index.html
IP Logged
isabel

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #68 on: August 22, 2012, 12:59 AM »

Quick Andy update. I went to the US Open qualies today and got to see Andy practice twice- he was out on the outer practice courts early- around 10 am with the whole team. He looked really good in practice. As it was qualification day, there were not too many people around the grounds and a lot of the big stars were practicing next to Andy (Serena, Sharapova). I have to say that I was really impressed with Ivan's tennis skills- he was quite adept in keeping up with Andy in ground stroke exchanges and moved well- something I would not have expected with his slightly portly frame Wink He even hit a tweener against Andy in one of the rallies.

After an hour of practice, Andy came out to sign autographs, but ended up signing only a few because some idiot at the back of the crowd threw a paper progamme towards him in the hopes of an autograph, but it ended up hitting Andy on the side of his face. This put an end to the autograph signing. Lendl astutely refused all requests for an autograph and disappeared quickly with a smile and wave.
I was pleasantly surprised when Andy came out for a second practice- this time in Ashe. Again he stayed out there for an hour and a little bit more. I had to leave midway because it was too hot in the nosebleed section of the stadium and I had to go to work. It was a good experience and if any of the MW posters are in NY, you have to go to the qualifying week. It is free, the grounds are empty and you can watch all the big names without the annoying crowds up close.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #69 on: August 22, 2012, 01:27 AM »

^Beautiful post, Isabel. Thanks.
I love to hear first-hand accounts.

It's great to watch Andy's skills when he's "off-duty." I've enjoyed listening to his banter with Dani, and witnessed his footie skills with a tennis ball when I was lucky enough to be up close and personal 2 yrs ago when he was practising at a small side court at the Rogers Cup. Close enough to duck one of his powerful serves. Got to talk briefly with him too. Smile
Lendl's still got it, and he's got Andy's back. The perfect GateKeeper for him.
Was hoping to get to USO this year, but looks like it's going to be 2013 for me. Hopefully to support the returning Champion!
How come you were up in the nose-bleeds tho'? I know security in NYC is tight, is that why?
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #70 on: August 22, 2012, 01:28 AM »

^ Great report! Thanks for sharing.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #71 on: August 22, 2012, 01:47 AM »

Thanks for the update Isabel goodjob  There appear to be idiots everywhere!  What a pity that person didn't have the patience to wait, I'm sure Andy would have signed it in the end - that's how I got his autograph in Australia, bided my time Very Happy

As for predictions - I'm going to take it one match at a time.  Every match beyond the 1st round being a bonus. Very Happy

cmonandy

Draw Thursday? search
IP Logged
isabel

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #72 on: August 22, 2012, 01:48 AM »

How come you were up in the nose-bleeds tho'? I know security in NYC is tight, is that why?

Honestly, I was too afraid to venture farther down into the stadium because there were very few people in it and I was not too sure if spectators were allowed in Ashe during qualifying week even for player practice sessions. There were tons of security and staff setting up the stage and signage at the side of the stadium for the opening day ceremonies, and I did not want to attract undue attention. I also had to leave for work soon and it is quite a trek from the nosebleeds to the lower decks. Ashe is beautiful, but so cavernous that I almost got vertigo from the nosebleed sections. If Andy practices there again tomorrow, I may try to venture down further Wink. It's great that you got to see Andy that close on an outer court. At the US Open, the bigger stars always get the practice courts farthest away from the spectating crowds. Andy, Maria and Serena were all at the farthest courts. Youzhny and Florian Mayer were the ones practicing closest to the crowds.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #73 on: August 22, 2012, 02:05 AM »

Hey Bev.. heard Brisbane isn't good enuff 4 you, and you're going to have to slum it at AO instead. Very Happy
Yeah.. I heard draw is on Thurs.
I also hear (and I'm whispering this) that there's a chance of Hurricane Isaac doing a repeat of Hurricane Irene at USO. Here's hoping he huffs and puffs himself out.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #74 on: August 22, 2012, 02:18 AM »

Honestly, I was too afraid to venture farther down into the stadium because there were very few people in it and I was not too sure if spectators were allowed in Ashe during qualifying week even for player practice sessions. There were tons of security and staff setting up the stage and signage at the side of the stadium for the opening day ceremonies, and I did not want to attract undue attention.
Isabel.. I can only speak for the Rogers Cup, but you will probably find that the vast majority of the staff/security haven't the foggiest idea of tennis, and are seasonal employees. I spoke to a lot of the staff in Toronto, and the majority of them were students. Heck, in my conversations with some I was even offered freebie tickets as they got them as a perk and didn't want to go! Granted, they were nose-bleed tickets, but hey!
If you go back again, I'll bet if you sit right at the front no-one will bat an eyelid. Fortune favours the brave, and you have to take your opportunities when they present themselves.
What's the worse thing that could happen?.. Someone asking you to leave? Big deal.
Wish I was there with you to drag you down to the front. Very Happy
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 30 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »