Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy at US Open 2012 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 30 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy at US Open 2012

(Read 19029 times)
isabel

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #75 on: August 22, 2012, 02:49 AM »

If you go back again, I'll bet if you sit right at the front no-one will bat an eyelid. Fortune favours the brave, and you have to take your opportunities when they present themselves.
What's the worse thing that could happen?.. Someone asking you to leave? Big deal.
Wish I was there with you to drag you down to the front. Very Happy

LOL...I'll attempt to go farther down if Andy is in Ashe again tomorrow. Will let you now how it works out =P
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #76 on: August 22, 2012, 04:01 AM »

Hey Bev.. heard Brisbane isn't good enuff 4 you, and you're going to have to slum it at AO instead. Very Happy
Yeah.. I heard draw is on Thurs.
I also hear (and I'm whispering this) that there's a chance of Hurricane Isaac doing a repeat of Hurricane Irene at USO. Here's hoping he huffs and puffs himself out.

I would love to go to Brisbane but going to be busy as hell before I jet off to Melbourne!  Timing is always wrong for me - one of my busiest times at work.  I can't even fit in Auckland which is just 2 hours drive away fainting (though not being able to drive isn't the problem) lol  One day someone else will know my job or I'll have left! lol
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #77 on: August 22, 2012, 04:49 AM »

LOL...I'll attempt to go farther down if Andy is in Ashe again tomorrow. Will let you now how it works out =P
Atta girl! Very Happy
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #78 on: August 22, 2012, 04:58 AM »

I would love to go to Brisbane but going to be busy as hell before I jet off to Melbourne!  Timing is always wrong for me - one of my busiest times at work.  I can't even fit in Auckland which is just 2 hours drive away fainting (though not being able to drive isn't the problem) lol  One day someone else will know my job or I'll have left! lol
It's time you cracked the whip and had some minions to pick up the reins in your absence.
I too would love to go to Brisbane (esp. to see my beloved cuz whom I miss so much ) but I'm sure it's not going to be too bad for you to slum it at AO instead, my friend. Very Happy
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #79 on: August 22, 2012, 05:57 AM »

@isabel. Brilliant posts. clap Thanx so much. Always gr8 to get feedback from someone on the ground, or up in the sky in your case...Wink
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #80 on: August 22, 2012, 08:53 AM »

Go for it Isabel as we're all enjoying your reports from the front line.
Am I right in thinking that to begin with Lendl himself didn't hit with ANdy but that he's started doing so recently?
While I'd prefer it if Andy went in under the radar [so don't mind re DC] it's interesting that Mats W has tipped him as he's usually v critical of Andy.  Leaving aside whether it's a good or bad thing to have him tipping Andy it does suggest that he sees a real change there that isn't affected by one poor match.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #81 on: August 22, 2012, 09:55 AM »

It's time you cracked the whip and had some minions to pick up the reins in your absence.
I too would love to go to Brisbane (esp. to see my beloved cuz whom I miss so much ) but I'm sure it's not going to be too bad for you to slum it at AO instead, my friend. Very Happy

Oh, one of my colleagues that did know how to cover some of my work (she did it for me this year when my parents visited and I had time off work) is about to leave in 3 weeks time doh  I'm basically stuffed atm grr

Just got the email from my friend that we are booked!  Day pass Thursday 17th Jan (as we arrive in Melbourne in the morning), Hisense Fri 18th and Sat 19th and Rod Laver Sun 20th cmon yeah  I hope I'm lucky enough to see Andy play on at least one of those days.  Will just have to wait and see crossfingers
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #82 on: August 22, 2012, 09:59 AM »

Ruthie, Andy at No4 and with Rafa out, could never be "under the radar."
I'm sure other punters will be picking Fed., think he's the favourite, Nole, Delboy etc. Everyone of them will be offering an "expert" opinion.
Fortunately it's not Wimbledon.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #83 on: August 22, 2012, 10:57 AM »

True bbh let's just say under the Fed/Nole radar.
Great news bev - would love to go to AO one year.  Had tried to wangle an invitation back to Melbourne to do a seminar late January one year but didn't come to anything I fear.  Whistle
IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #84 on: August 22, 2012, 11:22 AM »

Quick Andy update. I went to the US Open qualies today and got to see Andy practice twice- he was out on the outer practice courts early- around 10 am with the whole team. He looked really good in practice. As it was qualification day, there were not too many people around the grounds and a lot of the big stars were practicing next to Andy (Serena, Sharapova). I have to say that I was really impressed with Ivan's tennis skills- he was quite adept in keeping up with Andy in ground stroke exchanges and moved well- something I would not have expected with his slightly portly frame Wink He even hit a tweener against Andy in one of the rallies.

After an hour of practice, Andy came out to sign autographs, but ended up signing only a few because some idiot at the back of the crowd threw a paper progamme towards him in the hopes of an autograph, but it ended up hitting Andy on the side of his face. This put an end to the autograph signing. Lendl astutely refused all requests for an autograph and disappeared quickly with a smile and wave.
I was pleasantly surprised when Andy came out for a second practice- this time in Ashe. Again he stayed out there for an hour and a little bit more. I had to leave midway because it was too hot in the nosebleed section of the stadium and I had to go to work. It was a good experience and if any of the MW posters are in NY, you have to go to the qualifying week. It is free, the grounds are empty and you can watch all the big names without the annoying crowds up close.

Brilliant post Isabel - I'm stuck here in Glasgow, and am quite jealous!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #85 on: August 22, 2012, 11:53 AM »

Hi All,

First and foremost, thanks so much to Isabel for keeping us so well informed. I was interested to hear of Andy practising on Ashe. I don't quite know why that surprised me, I've heard of players practising on Centre at Wimbledon, but Ashe always looks so huge on TV, it must be weird when it is virtually empty - a bit eerie I would have thought. Anyway, I'm glad to know Andy is looking good. Very Happy

It is funny, I could have sworn during Wimbledon that I either heard or read someone saying that Ivan can't hit with Andy because his ball striking wouldn't be hard enough for Andy. Presumably someone had their facts wrong. However, I have had a thought, and I'm sure one of you could put me right if it is wrong. Would a shot coming at him that is softer than he would expect in a match help Andy to generate his own pace on the return? I know it used to be said (by the comms) that Andy didn't like generating pace, but liked using the pace from the opponent, but maybe Ivan is getting him to generate the pace now. Any thoughts?

As for certain people having Andy as their pick for the USO, what a difference from Wimbledon! Before Wimbledon there seemed to be almost a  queue of former players implying that Andy was not going to win, even some suggesting he isn't mentally tough enough (yes, right, yawn!) to win majors. Personally I think it is nice to see Andy being taken seriously again, but I'm going to try not to attach too much importance to who picks who and why. I just feel some are fickle enough to back Andy now, but drop him like a tonne of bricks if he so much as wobbles. However, should Mac come out and say he thinks Andy is going to win then I will be all for it lol. He backed him for the Olympics, bless him, so he knows what he is talking about at the moment lol.

Frankly I wish the draw was coming out today. I'm more nervous about that than I am about the matches nervous. I'm wary of Berdych, but on current form he could be gone early anyway. Nieminen would be a laugh for an early round bit of target practice Whistle. I could handle a Tsonga quarter final, but in the event of that if Andy could just not lose the third set I would be grateful. I nice, straightforward, straight sets win would be fine. I'm kind of wary about Delpo, but Andy's head to head over him gives me confidence. I'm in two minds about Raonic. I think he could be awkward, but I'm not convinced he could go best of five with Andy, but I would much rather not have to find out. Tipsy could be fun. I always think he's bonkers. Nice when he isn't throwing wobblers, but bonkers. Seriously though, just put the damned draw out already!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #86 on: August 22, 2012, 11:58 AM »

The other thought I have is that if anyone wants to smuggle me in to New York I won't put up a fight, honest! I'd breathe in and squeeze myself in to a suitcase if I have to lol.

I asked my sister the other day if she would be so kind as to win the lottery and take me for my birthday, but nothing doing  .
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #87 on: August 22, 2012, 12:04 PM »

It was interesting to read that both Wilander and Goran both said that US open is the best surface for Andy, fast and plays more like grass. So those who have openly said (Fed fans mostly) it was not a surface that suited him, despite the fact that Andy has always said he likes the conditions, if I was them I would change their stance and go with the experts.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #88 on: August 22, 2012, 05:59 PM »

Berdych is a very dangerous player, i dont think for one second Andy would like to play him. tommy leads H2H 4-2. I think my preference for Andys Qfs would be:-
1. Tipsy
2. Tsonga
3. Berdych
4. Del Po

But as i say being drawn against a berdy or even Delpo (with wrist injury) could be a blessing in disguise as either could go out before Qfs. Tsonga is the least likley to lose early i think.....Tsonga hearts

Interestingly, Berdych and Andy have played only once in a GS and that was RG 2010 and when it comes to clay, I will always give edge to Berdych unless Andy raises his level and beats him on clay. This year too he lost to Berdych in Monte Carlo. So that's 2 losses on clay out of 4.

As to Del Potro, Andy lost his only match on clay to Del Potro as well so clearly it's his worst surface.

And we all know Andy's best surface so far is hard (made 3 GS finals after all) and grass is a close second. Given all that, I do feel Andy will prevail against these two on hard but they will be hard fought matches, and Andy doesn't need that. Another thing is, I am more comfortable with "out-of-form" idea than an "injury" because you can see what the former one is dealing with as the results speak for themselves; and while injuries do happen, it's not always easy to tell exactly to what extent it's causing the harm and some of these injuries feel notorious, as one day they are there but the next day, they are completely gone. I find it a very hard call if I am to be precise. So if I were to assess things, I’d more focus on which player is in what kind of form than who’s feeling what. Nole, for instance, must be tired but if anyone takes him lightly will have to pay a terrible price as a result.
[ Last edit by Emma Jean August 22, 2012, 06:02 PM ] IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #89 on: August 22, 2012, 06:01 PM »

Ivanisevic and Wilander both think Andy will win.  I really wish people wouldn't tip him for the title. The blooming kiss of death.

http://www.atpchampionstour.com/index.html

I agree with you. I am not sure I even want to read about it.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 30 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »