Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy at US Open 2012 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 ... 30 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy at US Open 2012

(Read 17670 times)
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #225 on: August 24, 2012, 05:39 PM »

none of the us experts picking murray....probably a good thing!
http://espn.go.com/sports/tennis/picks/_/tournament/11

This is because they are going by the draws and the fact that, Andy had just lost a match to Chardy the week before, but I think they kept the draws in mind the most when they made their predictions. Andy has the toughest draw out of top three. If things pan out the way the draws are, then he will have to beat Raonic, Tsonga, Federer and Djokovic and that's a very tough line-up and he will have to beat them in succession. Also, there's no rest in between semi and final, so realistically Andy has the least chance to win the USO between the top three players.

I wonder what the picks were back in 1990 though. I bet no one imagined even in their wildest dream that Sampras would go and beat that lineup he was faced with to win his first USO and his first GS title. And what about Del Potro in 2009? He had to beat Nadal and Federer back to back under the same schedule format to win his first ever USO title. So of course, there are uncertainties around those predictions and they have the elements to totally mess the draws up and sometimes, if someone’s meant to win it, he will win regardless.  That’s why nothing is 100% predictable and I personally think that it’s a good thing that no one had picked Andy to win it. After all, it’s not the first time Andy will be facing a tough draw, so you can’t say he won’t be prepared for it if he isn't already.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #226 on: August 24, 2012, 07:47 PM »

Although I think winning this is a big ask, I still think he needs longer to bed in all the changes and process the last couple of months. I think that he will manage Raonic over 5 sets without any real problem. His head to head against Tsonga is well known. As for NJ and Fed, he knows he can beat them back to back. I am not convinced either that Tsonga or Raonic will actually get as far as Murray.  Let's do this one match at a time.
Also let's get real here. Murray has reached the Wimbledon final, and it was only inexperience and the cumilation of two weeks pressure, plus the roof closing that did for him. 4 weeks later, he had picked himself up, and set out to get some form of medal. He then got greedy and decided he wanted one of those nice shiny gold ones.
I.e can we all remember he is human, and not expect too much of him. He has done quite well this year in the big tournaments.
IP Logged
syc23
Futures Level

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #227 on: August 24, 2012, 08:33 PM »

I think it's a good thing Andy is on the same side of the draw as Fed. It means he'll probably play on the Monday as opposed to being made to play on Wed last year which was a disgrace.
IP Logged
caroline
ATP Level

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #228 on: August 24, 2012, 08:48 PM »

I agree with you Michelle,i dont think much of there picks,especially there outsiders.I mean i ask you Hass,Querry,Nalbandian,etc,etc.Had a good laugh at there picks so thats something.Suppose they had to pick one of there own,but Querry for goodness sake,Andy beat him easy in Toronto.I would not back any of there picks for outsiders,Id pick Andy to win it over any of them.But he's not even got a mention,maybe thats a blessing in disguise.

IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #229 on: August 24, 2012, 10:35 PM »

I think it's a good thing Andy is on the same side of the draw as Fed. It means he'll probably play on the Monday as opposed to being made to play on Wed last year which was a disgrace.
Well that's what a number of us thought but there's a rumour that for once Nole will start so that Andy won't benefit from being scheduled in same half as smugfed.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #230 on: August 24, 2012, 11:23 PM »

none of the us experts picking murray....probably a good thing!
http://espn.go.com/sports/tennis/picks/_/tournament/11

Andy hasn't earned the right to be picked. He's never beaten Joker or Fed in a Slam and he's probably going to have to beat both of them to win this.  Fact is most of the tipsters have now given up on Andy because he's failed to make the breakthrough so often now. Its up to Andy to prove them all wrong.
IP Logged
caroline
ATP Level

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #231 on: August 24, 2012, 11:57 PM »

He's earned the right to be picked as one of the outsiders though BN.With maybe Delpo being as Delpo's won the US Open.But he's not even being picked as an outside fav.That could turn out to be a blessing in disguise as it happens fingers crossed.Would you pick Hass,Querry,Nalbandian over Andy as an outside bet.No i dont think so.
IP Logged
caroline
ATP Level

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #232 on: August 25, 2012, 12:20 AM »

Andy deserves to be picked as one of the favourites barring the top three hes been there or there abouts at all the granslams so far this year,and getting to the final at Wimbledon.None of the other players have,come anywhere near the top four.
IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #233 on: August 25, 2012, 12:26 AM »

Agree with Bignose...Every Gs almost somebodty picks Andy for the last 3 years and so far he hasn't done it so understamdably now he is not being seen as the favorite by experts but none of them will be at all suprised if he does it.

Also with Novaks record on this surface and the more advantageous draw - i think u'd have to be brave to not pick him, as your no 1.
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #234 on: August 25, 2012, 01:02 AM »

If anyone's interested - further to Harman's tweets - there's a long article about the draw process at the US Open versus how it's done at Wimbledon at Tennis.com. Here's the link:

http://www.tennis.com/news/2012/08/2012-us-open-draw-recap-bodo/38990/#.UDgUSJjN45Q
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #235 on: August 25, 2012, 06:39 AM »

Agree, Andy has yet to win a slam, why would he be picked to bag this one? Nole is defending champ and has an easy draw. My money would be on him.
Of course I'd pick Andy before Querry and co  lmao But this is an American tourney so they're bound to blag up their boys.
Latest pseudofed is wonderful btw. Check it out if u haven't thumb up
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #236 on: August 25, 2012, 11:31 AM »

Boris Becker writes in the Telegraph USO 2012 pull out (he's a regular ithe that newspaper) that this could be Andy's year to win the USO. He bases his opinion on the way Andy won the Gold Medal, his determination, his attacking and aggressive manner of play, his forehand and excellent service in that tourney. If he repeats it at the USO then he stands an excellent chance. We will have to wait and see but the changes in Andy game over the last few months and his change of attitude too are very much plus items in the winning game. It would be wonderful of Boris had the right of it.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #237 on: August 25, 2012, 03:23 PM »

Interesting Jan especially as Boris is often critical of Andy.
I'm not surprised Andy hasn't been a picked as favourite by American comms but it's notable that some other people are picking him.  And he could hardly be classed an 'outsider' could he?  He falls between the two ie neither favourite nor outsider but someone with a really good chance.
Nole has to have an advantage in that he doesn't have to face one of the top 4 before the final because of Rafa's withdrawal.  If he also goes first in the schedule, that will double his advantage.
Interesting that papers today saying that Mr L is doing Andy's press commitments for him in run up to the tournament starting so he doesn't get distracted by it all.  In the past Andy wouldn't allow his coach to speak to the media.  Another example of how the dynamic between player and coach has changed.  And here's an article in the Independent based on what Mr L had to say
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/the-us-open-andy-murrays-first-grand-slam-title-8079504.html
[ Last edit by Ruthie August 25, 2012, 03:33 PM ] IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #238 on: August 25, 2012, 03:55 PM »

I read on another Andy Forum that the top half of the draw will be playing Monday and Tuesday and the bottom Tuesday and Wednesday, which would mean that Nole won't play before Tuesday so he won't have that advantage.
[ Last edit by michelle August 25, 2012, 04:08 PM ] IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #239 on: August 25, 2012, 04:15 PM »

I hope that's true Michelle but we now have 2 different rumours, neither of which is substantiated and I guess we won't know for sure until some time tomorrow.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 ... 30 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »