Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs David Ferrer, Saturday, Time: 2pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy at US Open 2012 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 ... 30 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy at US Open 2012

(Read 18033 times)
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #285 on: August 27, 2012, 12:01 AM »

I think in other eras that would be true, but they way Fed, Rafa and Novak raise their level in the slams its something really quite unique. If these guys are in the draw it means Andy has to beat at least one of them to win the title....hence his draw will never really be that easy if that makes sense.

Yes and no because if you put Andy in Nole's half and put Nole in Federer, Andy makes the final without a doubt. But if Nadal was here then no one knows which two were going to make the final. Andy has made finals twice beating Nadal once in the semi and the other time, in the qtr after all.

But it's not that Andy has less merit but that he has the most pressure and the job becomes automatically hardest for him and for anyone. Even Federer admitted that he can't imagine the pressure Andy has to deal with on a daily basis. I'd say these players are lucky that Andy has so much pressure to the point that they can easily exploit it. Not that I believe they are better players than him. Certainly not especially if anyone understands the game.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #286 on: August 27, 2012, 07:59 AM »

Just thought about this guys.  Now I don't want to be a negative thorn in the side  but Andy hasn't played his best/great  tennis  at the US Open  since that 2008 final.  Last year was good,  although in that semi final he played awful.  He didn't play that well in the Haas match either.  Lets not talk about 2010, or 09  lol.  hmmm  I don't know what it is,  court surface?   pressure?  I don't know if its his best chance to win a GS here.  
In contrast he has played much better at the AO in previous years.  
[ Last edit by johnkiernan35 August 27, 2012, 08:03 AM ] IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #287 on: August 27, 2012, 08:08 AM »

Let's see what happens, eh John Very Happy but just to let you know, it's up to Fed as to who wins or not doh
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #288 on: August 27, 2012, 08:16 AM »

If you can, it might be worth getting a subscription to Eurosport player on your computer for a month. Only £2.99 and they'll be showing the US Open, probably including Andy's matches. I got it for the Aussie Open in January on my iPad and it was very good. Annoying comms though.
Thanks Joe I shall follow your advice but tune out the comms.

http://www.eurosportplayer.co.uk/
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #289 on: August 27, 2012, 08:27 AM »

I'm going to put the cat among the pigeons, I've a feeling that Fed won't make the semis, that he will have a surprise loss to one of the Americans and although a good draw, Nole will not get past Del Po this time. If you remember Nadal, Federer, and Nole all won their 1st GS against someone not expected to make the Final. So.......
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #290 on: August 27, 2012, 08:35 AM »

Andy hasn't really performed to his capabilities here for years, as John pointed out.

Quick outdoor hardcourt and a noisy atmosphere, this place seems tailor built for Murray.

Predicting a Murray v Djokovic final.
IP Logged
Philip
Seed

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #291 on: August 27, 2012, 08:46 AM »

I agree with you Andrew. Andy thrives on a noisy atmosphere. If Andy brings his Olympics games form, then we are in for a cracking USO.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #292 on: August 27, 2012, 08:57 AM »

Just thought about this guys.  Now I don't want to be a negative thorn in the side  but Andy hasn't played his best/great  tennis  at the US Open  since that 2008 final. 

I saw Andy's USO performances listed in one of the papers yesterday. He has been pretty awful here to be honest. Thats if one final and one semi-final can be described as awful. I guess the world number 4 should be looking to reach the semis at least every year. He's been far better at Wimbledon and the Aussie Open. I don't know whether its the surface or whether its the scheduling.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #293 on: August 27, 2012, 09:38 AM »

Hi All,

I did some reading up about Andy at the USO based on someone on a comments section saying Andy isn't going to win it, he hasn't performed well, etc.

Now, to be fair, I can't remember, but when Andy lost to Cilic in 2009 he was hampered by a wrist injury apparently.

I do know that when Stan Wawrinka knocked him out in 2010 it was considered to be part of that long slump he had after losing the AO final. I know he got to the semi's at Wimbledon in that time, losing to Nadal, but if anything, to my mind, if Andy was feeling low and fragile (he certainly looked it) and was maybe questioning his ability to get through the top guys, the loss to Nadal at Wimbledon probably gave him another knock, so that by the time the USO came around he was ripe for someone to pick him off. To be truthful, at that time Andy did seem to be losing matches in his head as much as with his game, more so in some ways, so that makes sense to me. I tend to think of that whole period as Andy's 'angry young man' phase.

What I think now is that Andy is different to how he was in the past. Something just seems different. I honestly think Andy's career really could kick off in to a whole new phase now, which is why I'm not looking too much at past results. I'm not convinced the past is relevant to how Andy is playing now.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #294 on: August 27, 2012, 09:46 AM »

ej @ 7.21pm  However, I got the feeling both JM and JC would like Andy to win this though of course if Isner somehow makes the final, they will be pulling for him over Andy if he makes it there too.

I don't know about JC (though he was v positive about Andy during RG) but I certainly get the feeling that Johnny Mac has a soft spot for Andy, even if he's been critical of him at times.  When he interviewed him before the final at the olympics he said something like don't tell the other guy but I'm rooting for you.  I think he sees something of himself in Andy and when he's critical of him it's when he's not fulfilling that potential.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #295 on: August 27, 2012, 11:05 AM »

I really think that an early retiral from Toronto and an early loss at Cincy will work in Andy's favour.  He comes into the USO this year far fresher than he has in the past and has the added benefit of a week of solid work with Lendl who has the experience of multi-wins here - has to be good news. 
IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #296 on: August 27, 2012, 11:19 AM »

Andy hasn't really performed to his capabilities here for years, as John pointed out.

Quick outdoor hardcourt and a noisy atmosphere, this place seems tailor built for Murray.

Predicting a Murray v Djokovic final.

A Murray- Djokovic final with Andy winning in 4 would be orgasmic yahooo Just hope it happens.
But yeh one step at a time...who would of predicted Rosol's upset against Rafa none of the top 3 are guranteed anything. I have an eerie feeling about this USO as well i can' t put my finger on why, but i think something unusaul could happen here.
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #297 on: August 27, 2012, 12:09 PM »

Just about 6 hours to go; 7.09 am in the "Big Apple". Hope Andy has had a good night's sleep and rest.

Guys: one match at a time!
IP Logged
madabouttheboy
Junior

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #298 on: August 27, 2012, 12:56 PM »

The forecast for NY is 40 per cent chance of rain and scattered thunder showers....hope he gets his match in without interruptions.
Go Andy!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #299 on: August 27, 2012, 01:13 PM »

Let's look at some of Federer Major wins:

Won 2008 USO after And took out Nadal in the semi. At that time, Nadal was THE player to beat and was the best player.

Won 2009 RG once Soderling took Nadal out in rd 16.

Won Wimbledon 2009 as Nadal withdrew with a troubled knee.

Won 2010 AO beating Murray as Andy took out Nadal again in the qtr.

Won 2012 Wimbledon when a no namer like Rosol came out of nowhere to take Nadal out. This time he beats Andy again to win his 5th major in the last five years or so.

In reality, Federer stands no chance against Nadal and every time someone else takes care of Nadal, it's Federer who benefits the most.

I appreciate your effort of finding out this info...
but no matter how much I dislike roger, I hate to admit his achievements are just magnificent.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 ... 30 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »