Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Kevin Anderson, Friday, Time: 12 noon BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy at US Open 2012 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 ... 30 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy at US Open 2012

(Read 17942 times)
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #360 on: September 05, 2012, 12:39 AM »

Not raining over here EJ.

It's raining here in Toronto, MH. And New York.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #361 on: September 05, 2012, 06:42 AM »

Comms on Europsport were talking about some interesting changes Lendl's made to Andy's practice routine. He now gets Andy to play 5 setters in the afternoon roping in all and sundry to play against him.
In Miami he gets 5 different college students in for each session so there's a different one for each set and each is "fresh" to play Andy.
Sounds very interesting and really focused on those slams.  clap
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #362 on: September 05, 2012, 07:03 AM »

That is interesting.  And the other day the Sky studio comms were discussing who does and doesn't play 5 setters in practice but didn't mention this so clearly weren't up to date.   They seemed to think Andy didn't do it.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #363 on: September 05, 2012, 07:18 AM »

Ruthie, I don't know who the comms were but both with English accents and pretty knowledgeable about Andy and incredibly positive about him.
Got to see last set against Milos too Super
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #364 on: September 05, 2012, 07:27 AM »

Glad you managed to see final set bbh.   Unusual for Eurospot comms to be good as usually I find them awful and v quick to jump on andy if he doesn't meet their behaviour standards.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #365 on: September 05, 2012, 07:28 AM »

Ah, europlayer. Maybe different?
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #366 on: September 05, 2012, 08:38 AM »

When they were talking about practice sessions on Sky the other day Croft went on about how tough Nadal's practice routine is. They didn't seem to know what Andy does, which doesn't surprise me.

When you think about it Lendl's approach makes sense. I don't know, but I think the mindset of a best if five match is different to a best of three. Surely it's partly about being able to focus for that long. If Andy is practising best of five against people who are fresh he has to be on his toes all the time, so that when it comes to matches that level of focus is there.

The slams definitely seem to have become the focus since Lendl arrived on the scene, which is exactly right.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #367 on: September 05, 2012, 08:42 AM »

bbh: Yes europlayer may well be different from British eurosport.
tj: yes mindset for best of 5 must be different I agree.  And it's v difficult to keep fully focused over 5 sets.  Andy said one of the difficulties against Lopez was staying focused when his feet and legs were burning hot.  I'm sure those long practice sessions with Mr L will have helped him refocus and 'regroup' [as the sporting cliche goes] in the 4th set.  Oh and I think the focus on GSs is the reason for hiring Lendl not the consequence of it.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #368 on: September 05, 2012, 09:58 AM »

Also, it must be a lot more interesting to play competitive sets/matches than to practise surely?
I remember Mac hated practising and used doubles matches instead.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #369 on: September 05, 2012, 01:26 PM »

Oh and I think the focus on GSs is the reason for hiring Lendl not the consequence of it.

Hi Ruthie and all,

Yes, I realised after I'd sent my comment that what I said came out a bit wrong lol. I'm sure the reason Lendl was hired was because of Andy's focus on the majors.

I hadn't seen that comment from Andy about his feet and legs being hot during the Lopez match. It's no wonder he was struggling at times. Ouch! Mind you, it looked so hot on the court that day, it's not surprising. All credit to Andy for getting through it.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #370 on: September 05, 2012, 03:09 PM »

That's Just How Muzz Rolls  yay

How did Andy Murray get himself ready for yet another huge event this summer? The Mail’s Mike Dickson has the scoop.

MURRAY SET FOR CILIC TEST...BUT THE SECRET OF ANDY’S SUCCESS? A LADY WITH LARGE HANDS!

“When he first landed here ahead of the U.S. Open,” Dickson writes of Murray, “he took the unusual step of ditching everyone and spending several days as a relative hermit in the big city.”

Murray says that when he got to New York he “took three days off and just spent time on my own. I felt I needed some time away from the others because otherwise it can get a bit sterile."

What did Muzz do in the Big Apple? Museums, art flicks, discos, maybe a trek to Brooklyn? "I just did things like watch a lot of football on television and got my own breakfast, lunch, and dinner from the local Whole Foods store," the resourceful Murray said. "I had a massage in the hotel spa from a big lady with large hands. It was nice to relax and be on my own for a bit.”   lmao  Classic Muzz.  Very Happy

Murray hasn’t been hanging out around the courts as much these days, something the Mail credits to the influence of Ivan Lendl, who was “always keen on outside diversions.”

Or, perhaps, Murray just needed a few days away from the Terminator himself?
[ Last edit by johnkiernan35 September 05, 2012, 03:15 PM ] IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #371 on: September 05, 2012, 03:14 PM »

Lucky 'lady'  wub
IP Logged
iamabritt
World No 1

Re: Andy at US Open 2012 « Reply #372 on: September 05, 2012, 03:16 PM »

Lucky 'lady'  wub
Ain't that the truth.