Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy at US Open 2013 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 ... 25 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy at US Open 2013

(Read 13825 times)
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Andy at US Open 2013 « Reply #255 on: August 26, 2013, 04:15 PM »

An American friend of mine emailed me to say she met Andy. She's more of a Rafa fan but she said Andy was so incredibly nice. Very tall. Very handsome with beautiful skin. She asked if she could put her arm around him for a photo and he said yes. She said she took full advantage. Her right arm round his waist and her left hand on his stomach. She said his waist is tiny but she could feel all his stomach muscles. I had to ask her just how long she was holding him and if he had to get security to get her off him. It's amazing what fan interaction can do. She's now saying 'Rafa who?'
Oh my......... fainting
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Andy at US Open 2013 « Reply #256 on: August 26, 2013, 05:54 PM »

Dan Evan's is doing very well, a break and 2 sets up against Nishikori.
IP Logged
sidtypical
Challenger Level

grrr...

Re: Andy at US Open 2013 « Reply #257 on: August 26, 2013, 06:07 PM »

Dan wins on a df :-)
IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Re: Andy at US Open 2013 « Reply #258 on: August 26, 2013, 08:58 PM »

Wouldn't it be great if we could another British Man in the top 50...  Maybe even 20?  10?

Then some of the constant attention that Andy gets could be shared....

I saw Dan play in the Davis cup last year in Glasgow, when he beat an opponent hundreds of places above him in the rankings.  He can really play!
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Andy at US Open 2013 « Reply #259 on: August 26, 2013, 10:44 PM »

Wouldn't it be great if we could another British Man in the top 50...  Maybe even 20?  10?

I saw Dan play in the Davis cup last year in Glasgow, when he beat an opponent hundreds of places above him in the rankings.  He can really play!

I was at that match too, it was great and showed what he is capable of. Hopefully this summer's success will be the launchpad he needs.
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Andy at US Open 2013 « Reply #260 on: August 26, 2013, 11:52 PM »

ooh bet you're jealous of your friend Iona.
love the espn strapline 'from good to great'.  I remember a while ago we had a debate on MW as to whether Andy could be counted among the greats of the game.  Perhaps we should revive it.
And Nial Smith is doing Andy proud this USO - so hope it is twice upon a time  cmon yeah cmon yeah cmon yeah

Yes, very jealous. I have to say I wouldn't have put my hand on his stomach. That's just too forward. I did give my friend a row for that.  She adores Andy now.

I see the US Open twitter feed retweeted the Nial Smith poster.  Very cool.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Andy at US Open 2013 « Reply #261 on: August 26, 2013, 11:54 PM »

Wow! Lucky friend, Iona!
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Andy at US Open 2013 « Reply #262 on: August 27, 2013, 03:51 AM »

Dan Evans isnt a player I follow....but well done to him ..I always like to see the underdog win when Im not watching Andy play.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Andy at US Open 2013 « Reply #263 on: August 27, 2013, 05:08 AM »

I understand Nial Smith's poster a little bit more now. Each of Muzz, Djoker and Thugdal have won the USO once, presumably one of them (hopefully Andy) will win their second USO title this year, hence twice upon a time Smile.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Andy at US Open 2013 « Reply #264 on: August 27, 2013, 07:25 AM »

I understand Nial Smith's poster a little bit more now. Each of Muzz, Djoker and Thugdal have won the USO once, presumably one of them (hopefully Andy) will win their second USO title this year, hence twice upon a time Smile.

Doh!! Didn't you get that straight away.... Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Andy at US Open 2013 « Reply #265 on: August 27, 2013, 08:48 AM »

Anyone know where I can buy that poster?
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Andy at US Open 2013 « Reply #266 on: August 27, 2013, 08:50 AM »

Dan's fantastic. He clearly has a lot of potential. He's done really well in the DC.

I hope his win yesterday underlines for him that he has to continue to work.

Andy reckons Dan could be top 100 without too much trouble.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Andy at US Open 2013 « Reply #267 on: August 27, 2013, 08:51 AM »

I think that would be great for Dan (obviously), but also the British media and Andy.  Andy doesn't like being the sole centre of attention, especially empty puff pieces, and I think he really appreciates it when other players are getting talked about.  When there are other players progressing through the draw, the tennis correspondents don't feel the need to write so much filler, speculative stuff about Andy.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Andy at US Open 2013 « Reply #268 on: August 27, 2013, 05:24 PM »

Andy Murray's hopes of retaining his US Open crown take a beating from his crazy New York schedule
Andy Murray Andy Murray
Getty Images
By Colin Duncan  |  27 Aug 2013 07:42
ANDY MURRAY’S attempts at defending his US Open title could be undermined by a scheduling fiasco.

The reigning champion is already being put at a disadvantage by tournament organisers, who have scheduled his opening clash with Michael Llodra for tomorrow.

The US Open’s controversial policy of spreading first-round matches over three days on an ad-hoc basis has always been a major bone of contention amongst players.

Those who play on the first two days at Flushing Meadow are perceived to have an advantage over those who have to wait until Wednesday to open their account as they have more recovery time between matches.

At Wimbledon it is traditional for the men’s champion to open proceedings on Centre Court but in the Big Apple it is fast becoming a hindrance if you are the title holder.

Last year, Novak Djokovic’s defence of the crown suffered when he was placed at the back end of the draw.

As a result, mainly due to the weather problems which regularly affect the event, the Serbian had a day less to prepare for an epic final against Murray which lasted for six minutes short of five hours.

The television networks who pay millions of dollars for the rights to screen the US Open are at the root of the problem.

Murray, Djokovic, Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer remain the big box office draws and TV chiefs demand their appearances are spread over the first three days to maximise viewing figures.

Nadal and Federer were both in action yesterday with Djokovic and Murray left to wait for their entrance. To further increase the Scot’s frustration at not getting under way he could be made to wait even longer as the weather forecast for the next two days isn’t good.

Rain delays are a key feature at this time of the year in Queen’s with stifling heat and thunderstorms providing a heady mix for the schedulers to cope with.

Normally mother nature is the winner with the men’s final being delayed until the Monday in each of the previous five years.

When he made his Grand Slam breakthrough 12 months ago Murray was a huge beneficiary of the adverse weather which hammered Flushing Meadows.

In gale-force conditions on the Saturday the Scot somehow managed to get the job done in his semi-final with Tomas Berdych before the elements took over.

Djokovic, who went on court against David Ferrer later that day, wasn’t quit so fortunate.

The world No.1 managed just one set before a mini hurricane swept in, forcing his match to be postponed for 24 hours and the entire site to be evacuated.

Given the small margins between the game’s elite, Murray made the most of his good fortune to out-last Djokovic in a stamina- sapping final on the Monday.

The 26-year-old admits his epic triumph was a pivotal moment in his career as it helped banish the self doubt which plagued him after losing four major finals.

Murray said: “Coming to the US Open last year I’d never won a Grand Slam. I didn’t know if I was ever going to win one.

“A lot of people would say, ‘He’s good enough to win a Grand Slam. He’s going to win one.’

“But you start to doubt yourself and think, ‘Is it ever going to happen?’ Getting that weight off my shoulders last year was huge.”

Becoming the first British man to win Wimbledon since Fred Perry in 1936 has only served to increase Murray’s confidence as he gears up for this title defence.

With the Scot playing tomorrow, he will have more time hanging around the practice courts and more time to fuel his body with the right nutrients before getting a shot at Llodra.

Diet has become a key part of a tennis player’s armoury in recent years with Djokovic insisting a change in eating habits was the main reason behind his transformation from nearly man to multiple major winner.

The Serb has released a book ‘Serving to Win, the 14-day Gluten-Free Plan for Physical and Mental Excellence’ to coincide with the start of the US Open.

However, Murray insists his great rival’s methods are not for him, claiming a trial run with a gluten-free diet had a disastrous effect.

He said: “I tried it for a couple of months and felt awful. I lost all my energy and felt weak.

“So I just went back to doing what I did before. That was working fine for me.

“I’m not on a specific diet. I eat healthy food but nothing special before a match.

“I just make sure I am not eating the same things a few days in a row. Getting the right stuff into you on court is more vital. It can be so hot and humid and you can be drinking seven litres of fluid.”
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy at US Open 2013 « Reply #269 on: August 27, 2013, 07:10 PM »

It isn't the recovery time I'm worried about, just that I wanted Andy to get on court sooner so's he'd have a chance to let his nerves settle.  Now he's got longer to think about it, although no doubt he has his coping mechanisms.

And I see that the writer is another of those implying that Andy only won last year because Djokovic hadn't had time to recover.

FACT - Djoko's SF against Ferrer, which followed Andy's, was halted due to weather conditions when Djoko was 5-2 down in the first.  When the match was resumed the following morning, Ferrer served out the set, then Djokovic took the next three sets 6-1, 6-4, 6-2.  Not only did he have the rest of the day to recover but it was hardly taxing stuff for a player who had played a tough five-setter against Andy in the AO SF and less than 48 hours later played another against Nadal in the final which last just minutes under 6 hours. 
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 ... 25 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »