Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Fabio Fognini, Thursday, Estimated time - 1:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy at US Open 2013 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 ... 25 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy at US Open 2013

(Read 14565 times)
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Andy at US Open 2013 « Reply #270 on: August 27, 2013, 07:15 PM »

As far as I'm concerned, Andy won the US Open fair and square, as with the Olympic Gold, as with Wimbly.  He actually has nothing else to prove to anyone.  Of course I'd like him to win loads more, but I'd not be disappointed if he didn't.

I'm surprised my telly isn't worn out the amount of times I've watched him lift that Wimbledon Trophy.  Very Happy
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Andy at US Open 2013 « Reply #271 on: August 27, 2013, 07:50 PM »

As far as I'm concerned, Andy won the US Open fair and square, as with the Olympic Gold, as with Wimbly.  He actually has nothing else to prove to anyone.  Of course I'd like him to win loads more, but I'd not be disappointed if he didn't.

I'm surprised my telly isn't worn out the amount of times I've watched him lift that Wimbledon Trophy.  Very Happy
I'm with you there Elly! I'd love him to win more, because 'he' wants to, but he owes me nothing! He's already done what I'd hoped and everything else is a bonus!  Very Happy
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Andy at US Open 2013 « Reply #272 on: August 27, 2013, 09:14 PM »

It isn't the recovery time I'm worried about, just that I wanted Andy to get on court sooner so's he'd have a chance to let his nerves settle.  Now he's got longer to think about it, although no doubt he has his coping mechanisms.

And I see that the writer is another of those implying that Andy only won last year because Djokovic hadn't had time to recover.

FACT - Djoko's SF against Ferrer, which followed Andy's, was halted due to weather conditions when Djoko was 5-2 down in the first.  When the match was resumed the following morning, Ferrer served out the set, then Djokovic took the next three sets 6-1, 6-4, 6-2.  Not only did he have the rest of the day to recover but it was hardly taxing stuff for a player who had played a tough five-setter against Andy in the AO SF and less than 48 hours later played another against Nadal in the final which last just minutes under 6 hours. 

I think idiots just write stupid things when they don't have a clue. Andy won the Olympic gold, the USO and Wimbledon, all within 12 months. In addition he has made the Wimbledon final and the AO final. That tells me all I need to know about him. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Andy at US Open 2013 « Reply #273 on: August 27, 2013, 09:25 PM »

It isn't the recovery time I'm worried about, just that I wanted Andy to get on court sooner so's he'd have a chance to let his nerves settle.  Now he's got longer to think about it, although no doubt he has his coping mechanisms.

And I see that the writer is another of those implying that Andy only won last year because Djokovic hadn't had time to recover.   

Actually Joker got a big advantage when the semi was stopped after one set and moved to the sunday. He was getting horsed at the time by Ferrer and didn't have a clue how to play in that wind.

The article does make good points though on the stupid scheduling. Sporting fairness and integrity takes a back seat to the TV money.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Andy at US Open 2013 « Reply #274 on: August 27, 2013, 10:40 PM »

The article does make good points though on the stupid scheduling. Sporting fairness and integrity takes a back seat to the TV money.
Yes, I think they are just trying to be balanced, and wanting to show they aren't just whining because this time Andy's got the disadvantage.  They perhaps should have mentioned how Andy would put at an even more considerable scheduling disadvantage for his first final in NY.

It's always going to be tough to make everything equal, but the scheduling of the US Open shows they aren't even trying to make it fair.  I know some people think Wimbledon can be a bit too stuffy, and jolly-hockey-sticks, but I do like that they are proud to be fair and sporting, even if that means they can't be seen giving Andy any advantages.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Andy at US Open 2013 « Reply #275 on: August 27, 2013, 10:41 PM »

Laura Robson plays her 2nd round match before Andy plays his first.  Its bananas!
IP Logged
caroline
ATP Level

Re: Andy at US Open 2013 « Reply #276 on: August 27, 2013, 10:50 PM »

I think the scheduling of the USO is an absolute discrace.Andy not playing until tomorrow night is disgusting. He is the USO CHAMPION after all said and done.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Andy at US Open 2013 « Reply #277 on: August 27, 2013, 10:51 PM »

Completely agree, although my preferred pick me up is the final game and aftermath of the Gold Medal match. It was the day the boy walked onto the court and the man walked off. Thrashing Fed and depriving him of that Gold Medal in the process, remains tops for me.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Andy at US Open 2013 « Reply #278 on: August 27, 2013, 11:06 PM »

I think the scheduling of the USO is an absolute discrace.Andy not playing until tomorrow night is disgusting. He is the USO CHAMPION after all said and done.

Very ticked off by this scheduling - though did have a giggle at Sky discussion, Annabel Croft kept defending it, saying it was an honour to give andy the night sesion, not grasping that no one disputed that - but it could have been monday or Tuesday. Thought Greg was gonna lamp her one. He's a bit ticked off too - been tweeting a bout itas well.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Andy at US Open 2013 « Reply #279 on: August 27, 2013, 11:21 PM »

Very ticked off by this scheduling - though did have a giggle at Sky discussion, Annabel Croft kept defending it, saying it was an honour to give andy the night sesion, not grasping that no one disputed that - but it could have been monday or Tuesday. Thought Greg was gonna lamp her one. He's a bit ticked off too - been tweeting a bout itas well.

Greg was fuming! I don't think I've ever seen him that animated.

Andy getting the night match is not a problem. I think it could help him because he loves Ashe at night so much. Andy not starting until tomorrow is the point to me. The schedule is bonkers.

Andy will do his utmost to handle it. He's a pro and he's vastly more experienced than in 2008 when the schedule and weather didn't help him. It's not right though. I do think the way he has been treated is shoddy to say the least.
IP Logged
caroline
ATP Level

Re: Andy at US Open 2013 « Reply #280 on: August 27, 2013, 11:21 PM »

Absolutely ww no reason at all why Andy has been made to wait until tomorrow night to play his first round match. I can't see any reason at all why you would let the seventh ranked player in the tournament play before the title holder.Money and TV ratings should not come into it. People like to keep saying that Fed pulls in the crowds he's more popular etc etc. Well if that's the case people are going to watch Fed regardless whenever whatever time he's playing. This would never happen to Roger or Rafa. I've always said it and i stick by it but until RF retires Andy and Novak will never get the credit that I believe they deserve.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Andy at US Open 2013 « Reply #281 on: August 27, 2013, 11:30 PM »

Andy getting the night match is not a problem. I think it could help him because he loves Ashe at night so much. Andy not starting until tomorrow is the point to me. The schedule is bonkers.

Andy will do his utmost to handle it. He's a pro and he's vastly more experienced than in 2008 when the schedule and weather didn't help him. It's not right though. I do think the way he has been treated is shoddy to say the least.

BIB - I also think that the match-up with Llondra will suit him better in the cooler, night-time conditions. 

However, that all assumes that they get to play the match, and it isn't delayed until Thursday. 

It's definitely ridiculous that the defending champion has to wait all of that time.  I know he'd have been around anyway, but as he was obliged to be there on Friday for the start of official defending champion duties, it's an utter farce that he is then expected to wait all of that extra time before playing an actual match.

There's a chance that the wait will be more nervy for Llondra, but there's no getting away from the fact that the pressure is on Andy to do well from the off.  It feels to me that Andy won't be able to properly focus until he's got at least one match under his belt.  He's in a kind-of limbo until then.

I'm pleased to see that some pundits aren't afraid to do a bit of public grumbling about it.
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Andy at US Open 2013 « Reply #282 on: August 28, 2013, 01:48 AM »

Check who they have on the background of the US Open twitter feed.

https://twitter.com/usopen

Well, you wouldn't want it to be the defending champion or even the world #1.

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy at US Open 2013 « Reply #283 on: August 28, 2013, 03:19 AM »

Actually Joker got a big advantage when the semi was stopped after one set and moved to the sunday. He was getting horsed at the time by Ferrer and didn't have a clue how to play in that wind.
I've never doubted that Djoko wanted that match postponed because of the wind, yet Andy managed to cope with it.

Hasn't it occurred to anyone that Andy might actually have wanted to play on Wednesday?  He's said before that he doesn't like longish gaps between matches in Slams, and I'm sure that, as reigning champion, he probably did have a say in the matter.

Also, as a MWer on the spot commented (somewhere!), he watched him practising on Monday and he didn't look sharp and was holding his back a lot, so if that's been a problem, which hopefully isn't the case, he might have requested a later start.
[ Last edit by Aileen August 28, 2013, 03:25 AM ] IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Andy at US Open 2013 « Reply #284 on: August 28, 2013, 03:28 AM »

9 times out of ten, if you see Andy holding his back during a training session, he's probably stretching, i have heard no news, rumour or tweet about any back issue, no pictures nothing, i doubt there is any problem
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 ... 25 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »