Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jurgen Melzer, Wednesday, Estimated time - 12:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy at US Open 2013 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 ... 25 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy at US Open 2013

(Read 14487 times)
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Andy at US Open 2013 « Reply #285 on: August 28, 2013, 08:34 AM »

it really wouldn't be an issue him starting Wednesday night if it wasn't for the fact that the weather in NY is always dodgy at this time of year and lo isolated thunderstorms are currently forecast for just the period Andy is due to play.  I think he's been put on at night rather than in the afternoon, which was what his team were expecting, because of the broadcasters. Andy himself is now big box office and the networks wanted him on in the evening.  I like the fact Greg got so steamed up about it - shows he cares (and he and Andy haven't always seen eye to eye) and really wants him to win.  
I don't know about Andy feeling better once his first match is over but I know I will.  Whistle
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Andy at US Open 2013 « Reply #286 on: August 28, 2013, 09:02 AM »

I don't think playing today is the issue for Andy so much. I get the feeling that he was given the impression he would be playing early, but now he isn't. I think he's just a bit cross because of the confusion.

I wouldn't think it was so bad if it was balanced. It just isn't. Nadal, Djokovic and Federer have all started before Andy. For goodness sake, Federer isn't even top five now and he was playing someone he should have beaten, yet he was originally scheduled for the night match on the opening day.

I'm with you Ruthie. I'll feel a whole lot better once this first match is done.
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Andy at US Open 2013 « Reply #287 on: August 28, 2013, 09:49 AM »

Yes, Federer should have been playing out on court 13 with his seeding!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Andy at US Open 2013 « Reply #288 on: August 28, 2013, 09:52 AM »

and more to the point his potential tricky quarter finalist birdy played yesterday  woohoo
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Andy at US Open 2013 « Reply #289 on: August 28, 2013, 11:12 AM »

To be honest with you, given the scheduling and what seems to be a complete lack of respect given to Murray - not to mention the Kneedal farce, this tournament is a bit of a write off for me. Any tournament with Kneedal in it at the moment is a bit meaningless. What will they do with Fed next year, when he will be another year older and probably be out of the top 10 by then - still give him star billing? Wimbledon probably has many faults, but it has some decent traditions, and showing respect to the previous years winners is one of them.

I am looking forward to next year, I really feel that's when we are really going to see Mr M take off.

I really hope Murray pulls it off, but I do think an already difficult task is being made infinitely harder by the tournament.

Meanwhile I am really enjoying Dan Evans.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Andy at US Open 2013 « Reply #290 on: August 28, 2013, 01:09 PM »

30% chance of rain when Andy plays according to the weather.

Agree this tournament has been a real turn-off so far.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Andy at US Open 2013 « Reply #291 on: August 28, 2013, 06:27 PM »

Same here.  But if he was worried about his back, all the more reason to want his matches spread out a bit, to allow for rest and recovery between exertions.

Where a slightly fragile back (knee/shoulder etc) is involved, it makes sense not to place undue stress on it during practice sessions.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Andy at US Open 2013 « Reply #292 on: August 28, 2013, 07:56 PM »

Same here.  But if he was worried about his back, all the more reason to want his matches spread out a bit, to allow for rest and recovery between exertions.

Im pretty sure there is nothing wrong with his back. Certainly nothing that will affect his game.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Andy at US Open 2013 « Reply #293 on: August 29, 2013, 05:55 AM »

Glowing praise from Martina

"Murray was waiting so long to finally play his first match. Llodra offered no danger - Murray had beaten him three times previously. Andy is in great form and the numbers don't lie - he hit 34 winners and only five unforced errors. He must be really happy with that.

"The monkey is off his back now he has won a couple of Grand Slam titles - he can relax, he's in his prime and it's great to see. Rafael Nadal has the best numbers this year, but Murray has played the best tennis. He's playing great tennis, he's healthy and the sky is the limit."
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Andy at US Open 2013 « Reply #294 on: August 29, 2013, 06:16 AM »

^ Praise ideed! That's great to hear....Thanks Gnome!
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Andy at US Open 2013 « Reply #295 on: August 29, 2013, 06:46 AM »

Martina wub
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Andy at US Open 2013 « Reply #296 on: August 29, 2013, 06:50 AM »

Glowing praise from Martina

"Murray was waiting so long to finally play his first match. Llodra offered no danger - Murray had beaten him three times previously. Andy is in great form and the numbers don't lie - he hit 34 winners and only five unforced errors. He must be really happy with that.

"The monkey is off his back now he has won a couple of Grand Slam titles - he can relax, he's in his prime and it's great to see. Rafael Nadal has the best numbers this year, but Murray has played the best tennis. He's playing great tennis, he's healthy and the sky is the limit."

Yes wasn't it great to hear Martina praise our Andy like that.  She also said impossible to call between him, Rafa and Nole for title and the implication was she was critical of those calling Rafa or Nole (though she did also say can't count fed out yet but noone's perfect).
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Andy at US Open 2013 « Reply #297 on: August 29, 2013, 07:47 AM »

Great result over with quickly but apparently Llodra and Andy were the last 2 in the 1st round to play their match.

I see Delpo won 6-3, 6-7 (7-5), 6-4, 7-6 (9-7)  against the world number 81. That tells me Delpo won't be a threat here. I think we are all hoping he could give Joker a hell of a match in the QFs but not on that form.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Andy at US Open 2013 « Reply #298 on: August 29, 2013, 10:32 AM »

@BigNose
Apparently, and I didn't see the match, a lot of possible gamesmanship from GL which really wound JMDP up. So probably not an indicator of his form. I've read he was looking very good in his first match.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Andy at US Open 2013 « Reply #299 on: August 29, 2013, 01:07 PM »

Andy's match started last yeah, but his match wasn't last to finish, he managed to win before Karlovic did against Blake.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 ... 25 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »