Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy at US Open 2013 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Andy at US Open 2013  (Read 11892 times)
ProdigyEng
Top Seed

Re: Andy at US Open 2013 « Reply #300 on: August 29, 2013, 01:30 PM »

Great result over with quickly but apparently Llodra and Andy were the last 2 in the 1st round to play their match.

I see Delpo won 6-3, 6-7 (7-5), 6-4, 7-6 (9-7)  against the world number 81. That tells me Delpo won't be a threat here. I think we are all hoping he could give Joker a hell of a match in the QFs but not on that form.
Great result over with quickly but apparently Llodra and Andy were the last 2 in the 1st round to play their match.

I see Delpo won 6-3, 6-7 (7-5), 6-4, 7-6 (9-7)  against the world number 81. That tells me Delpo won't be a threat here. I think we are all hoping he could give Joker a hell of a match in the QFs but not on that form.

Silly statement to make  considering the best players don't peak from the start.
IP Logged
BigNose
Challenger Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Andy at US Open 2013 « Reply #301 on: August 29, 2013, 08:45 PM »

Heres the latest odds from Skybet. They have Rafa (7/4) a very slight favourite over Joker (2/1) but then they have Andy quite far out at 4-1. So they make Joker twice as likely to win this tournament as Andy.  The fact they have Joker and Rafa almost neck and neck even though Joker is likely to play Andy in the semis shows how unlikely they think Andy is going to retain his title.

Rafael Nadal 7/4
Novak Djokovic 2/1
Andy Murray 4/1    
Juan Martin Del Potro 12/1
Roger Federer 12/1
Tomas Berdych 33/1
IP Logged
BigNose
Challenger Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Andy at US Open 2013 « Reply #302 on: August 29, 2013, 08:47 PM »

Silly statement to make  considering the best players don't peak from the start.

Quite. But he's made a real meal of that and you definetly don't want to have long 4 setters in your first match.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Top Seed

Re: Andy at US Open 2013 « Reply #303 on: August 29, 2013, 08:48 PM »

Andy plays 3rd on Armstrong tomorrow, should be on between around 7.30 and 9pm
IP Logged
rob92
Challenger Level

Re: Andy at US Open 2013 « Reply #304 on: August 29, 2013, 08:48 PM »

Heres the latest odds from Skybet. They have Rafa (7/4) a very slight favourite over Joker (2/1) but then they have Andy quite far out at 4-1. So they make Joker twice as likely to win this tournament as Andy.  The fact they have Joker and Rafa almost neck and neck even though Joker is likely to play Andy in the semis shows how unlikely they think Andy is going to retain his title.

Rafael Nadal 7/4
Novak Djokovic 2/1
Andy Murray 4/1    
Juan Martin Del Potro 12/1
Roger Federer 12/1
Tomas Berdych 33/1
Pathetic Andy beat Djokovic in STRAIGHT sets in Wimbledon Final the most pressure he will ever face and the odds are like that.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Andy at US Open 2013 « Reply #305 on: August 29, 2013, 08:50 PM »

I expect Andy had longer odds last year when he won it *shrugs*
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Top Seed

Re: Andy at US Open 2013 « Reply #306 on: August 29, 2013, 08:56 PM »

Pathetic Andy beat Djokovic in STRAIGHT sets in Wimbledon Final the most pressure he will ever face and the odds are like that.
Grass is a different surface to hard courts mate.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Andy at US Open 2013 « Reply #307 on: August 29, 2013, 09:20 PM »

^ On another thread we had gangsta telling us it wasn't confused
IP Logged
Apollo
Veteran

Re: Andy at US Open 2013 « Reply #308 on: August 30, 2013, 02:11 PM »

You know the organisers cannot do anything about the weather.  Look at all the weather problems Wimbledon had till they built a roof, I mean look at all the rain that fell on Wimby over the years.  Andy got his night under the lights, and did not start real late, although I know it was real late for you in the UK.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Andy at US Open 2013 « Reply #309 on: August 30, 2013, 02:48 PM »

You know the organisers cannot do anything about the weather.  Look at all the weather problems Wimbledon had till they built a roof, I mean look at all the rain that fell on Wimby over the years.  Andy got his night under the lights, and did not start real late, although I know it was real late for you in the UK.
I don't think it's the 'time of day' people are worrying about Apollo.....Here in the UK, he started on Thursday!
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Andy at US Open 2013 « Reply #310 on: August 30, 2013, 02:58 PM »

You know the organisers cannot do anything about the weather.  Look at all the weather problems Wimbledon had till they built a roof, I mean look at all the rain that fell on Wimby over the years.  Andy got his night under the lights, and did not start real late, although I know it was real late for you in the UK.
They can't change the weather, but they can anticipate that it might rain, as often happens in New York at the end of August.

The Wimbledon schedule has always come with a bit of give in it, in anticipation that it might rain.  They don't start with the third round matches being spread over three days deliberately.    They hold off on the start of doubles to make sure it can happen, and do their best to avoid scheduling so that one player has a much longer break than their next opponent.

They try really hard to keep the middle Sunday free, which isn't just to appease the local residents, it has the bonus of re-setting the draw a bit, avoiding giving the half of the draw playing second too much of a disadvantage.

I know tv people would rather the play was spread out more, so you don't have two top matches on at the same time, but that conflicts with making the draw and scheduling as fair as possible.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Andy at US Open 2013 « Reply #311 on: August 30, 2013, 09:24 PM »

I've mentioned it on another thread, but Lendl was interviewed today and he mentioned the schedule, saying that Andy having to wait until Wednesday to play was not right. He's clearly over it, but at the same time his displeasure was obvious.

There is no way around it, the USO's schedule is barking mad. I mean, 3 days to play the opening round, seriously? Andy was just very lucky the rain stayed away, otherwise he would have ended up playing back to back matches, which in a major is tough. That could have put him at a serious disadvantage.

The real issue for me was that Andy was asked by the organisers when he would prefer to start. He said Tuesday. He was given Wednesday and led to believe he would be on earlyish. Instead he was put on in the night session. Someone was either deaf or went out of their way to not accommodate the defending champion. Would that have happened to Federer or Nadal in the past? I know what I think.
IP Logged
wildster

Re: Andy at US Open 2013 « Reply #312 on: August 31, 2013, 02:58 AM »

Weather is not look good for the next three days Frown
http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5128581
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Andy at US Open 2013 « Reply #313 on: August 31, 2013, 08:06 AM »

tj I notice that the no 7 seed is on AA again in the prime slot saturday night match and the poor old 4th seed is relegated to bandstand and hasn't yet played on AA I think.  I know it's all about the tv networks but really.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Andy at US Open 2013 « Reply #314 on: August 31, 2013, 08:53 AM »

tj I notice that the no 7 seed is on AA again in the prime slot saturday night match and the poor old 4th seed is relegated to bandstand and hasn't yet played on AA I think.  I know it's all about the tv networks but really.

Ruthie it makes me so angry for Ferrer and Andy. The whole thing is a disgrace.

Greg Rusedski was right again last night, Andy should not have been on Armstrong. Ferrer shouldn't be on Grandstand, which I guess is the equivalent of shoving him out on court two at Wimbledon. It's such an insult.

If all if the top players and the 7th seed had to take a turn on the lesser courts I wouldn't mind. That would be fair. It's the unfairness and disrespect, plus the fact the thing is driven by money, rather than to benefit the players, that makes me fume.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »