Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy at Wimbledon 2012 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 18 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy at Wimbledon 2012

(Read 9507 times)
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Andy at Wimbledon 2012 « Reply #45 on: June 21, 2012, 12:49 AM »

My choice of Commentators are individuals who are or were recently still involved in the game at tour level. Martina or McEnroe have not been playing or coaching for some time now...
Like Lendl did? Wink
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy at Wimbledon 2012 « Reply #46 on: June 21, 2012, 12:51 AM »

I get annoyed as Andy's got enough on his plate with the British press without the ex pro's giving easy paper headlines.

My choice of Commentators are individuals who are or were recently still involved in the game at tour level. Martina or McEnroe have not been playing or coaching for some time now and you can tell they don't keep up with the sport apart from the Grand Slams with some of their interpretations of some of the lower ranked players.

I believe it's more designed to attract the casual fans and they want to spice things up by talking about players mostly in the negative term and other times by worshiping players like Federer or Nadal, because general people love them and love to hear about them. They simply play into those notions, because it brings good rating and more money. A more thorough and accurate commentary wouldn't attract the general mass or wouldn't be as appealing. Rating too would go right down along with money.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy at Wimbledon 2012 « Reply #47 on: June 21, 2012, 12:56 AM »

Andy loves sarcasm and is sarcastic himself (0:56), so therefore cannot be trusted then, eh?. Wink

Andy is not necessarily sarcastic and at all opportunity he gets. And if he is then he's subtle about it. Those who resort to sarcasm is actually of very low self esteem. It's been studied.

There's a difference between dark humour and sarcasm - Andy is former. A truly intelligent person wouldn't resort to sarcasm. I am sure he/she has better response than that. They probably wouldn't bother in the first place.
IP Logged
craighateslife
Challenger Level

Gotta eat Protein

Re: Andy at Wimbledon 2012 « Reply #48 on: June 21, 2012, 01:04 AM »

Like Lendl did? Wink

I have the up most respect for Lendl as he has got involved and admitted he has to learn as a coach.

As a soccer coach myself I hate ex pros who tell the public how managers are getting this and that wrong while not having the bravery to manage themselves.

I thought football was bad but now I see 70's and 80's tennis as a very cold sport of ego's and feuds. It's amazing that right now 3 of the 4 at the top of the game are actually quite nice guys.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Andy at Wimbledon 2012 « Reply #49 on: June 21, 2012, 01:04 AM »

A truly intelligent person wouldn't resort to sarcasm.
I'll tell Andy you said that next time we talk.  lol
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy at Wimbledon 2012 « Reply #50 on: June 21, 2012, 01:19 AM »

Craig, speaking of 70s and 80s, don't you think Agassi was pretty bad too in the 90s? I believe this era too has seen its fair share of egos and feuds but probably not as much as the 80s. Today's top players maybe decent on court but I don't think they can stand each other but merely pretend to stand each other. As to Andy, a lot of people aren't happy with his on-court demeanor though that's mostly self-directed.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Andy at Wimbledon 2012 « Reply #51 on: June 21, 2012, 01:33 AM »

Don't think my antennae will pick that up from this distance..

If I can get it in NZ, you should be sweet to get it in Canada yes

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/radio

Just find radio 5 from the list.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Andy at Wimbledon 2012 « Reply #52 on: June 21, 2012, 01:37 AM »

Err...sometimes truth hurts. They can run their mouths because they are tennis legends and know what the hell they are talking about.

Shall we just have  Nole/Rafa final then?  Cut all the crap in between?  And for the women?  Think
IP Logged
craighateslife
Challenger Level

Gotta eat Protein

Re: Andy at Wimbledon 2012 « Reply #53 on: June 21, 2012, 08:19 AM »

Craig, speaking of 70s and 80s, don't you think Agassi was pretty bad too in the 90s? I believe this era too has seen its fair share of egos and feuds but probably not as much as the 80s. Today's top players maybe decent on court but I don't think they can stand each other but merely pretend to stand each other. As to Andy, a lot of people aren't happy with his on-court demeanor though that's mostly self-directed.

Most of the guys today probably do hide their real feelings well in this age of PR , but after reading Agassi's book the feeling I get is that some of they guys from the late 80's hated each other.

Jimmy Connors according to Agassi was a real piece of work.

IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Andy at Wimbledon 2012 « Reply #54 on: June 21, 2012, 08:20 AM »

I totally agree with these comments about the British press.  A Djokovic/Andy fan said on another site that they do not understand us in Serbia as we do not support Andy only do him down ant every opportunity.  We should cherish him and take the pressure off.  Andy has more fans in other countries than he has here.  I am fed up with the old players slagging him off as they probably would not be as good in this age.  A few of them have actually said so. 

I am pretty convident that Andy will make the 2nd week barring any injury.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Andy at Wimbledon 2012 « Reply #55 on: June 21, 2012, 08:35 AM »

I have just looked on the ATP site to see that in Germmany the seeds have all gone out except No 1 and at Eastbourne all except 6,7 and three have gone out.  Very interesting!!
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Andy at Wimbledon 2012 « Reply #56 on: June 21, 2012, 09:03 AM »

So you think Andy has no chance of winning Wimbledon... oh sorry why should he show up, oh I guess we should all just skip the next fortnight then and so should Andy. Maybe he should take up bowls for the next 2 weeks as obviously the world number 4 has no chance of of winning SW19.

So how is Andy taking up bowls going to help? It's a completely different sport.

Id love Andy to win SW19 but lets face it,  its looking very unlikely at the moment. Just like Scotland ever winning the World Cup. It doesn't make you any less of a supporter just because you have a more grounded view than the fanatics.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Andy at Wimbledon 2012 « Reply #57 on: June 21, 2012, 09:12 AM »

I have just looked on the ATP site to see that in Germmany the seeds have all gone out except No 1 and at Eastbourne all except 6,7 and three have gone out.  Very interesting!!

And most went out in their first matches - seeds 1,2,4,5 and 8 in Eastbourne (also 1,2 & 3 in the women's).

IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Andy at Wimbledon 2012 « Reply #58 on: June 21, 2012, 09:50 AM »

My theory is that most of the top players don't want to play a whole week before Wimbledon.  One or two matches on grass suits them just fine - then they have the remainder of the week to rest. 
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Andy at Wimbledon 2012 « Reply #59 on: June 21, 2012, 10:56 AM »

Sorry that was my point as that is what it looks like.  Nadal went out last year at Queens as was not bothered by it.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 18 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »