Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy in Barcelona 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 11 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy in Barcelona

(Read 5330 times)
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Andy in Barcelona « Reply #60 on: April 22, 2012, 12:35 PM »

Yes Ruthie I say that too, They should let him be the main commentator at least he is neutral and fair. Annabelle Croft is a pain, and wooden into the bargain. Come back Marcus not because I like you but she is tedious.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Andy in Barcelona « Reply #61 on: April 22, 2012, 12:49 PM »

Would be interesting littleb to know if attitudes towards Andy improved the further one gets away from the SE and the home counties!
I agree re Peter Fleming.  I think he's a good commentator.  And actually I rather liked Marcus not that he knows much about tennis but then he's the first to admit it.
And now we've got to put up with Boris B and Greg R as well as the great Flem.  I wish Sky would spend its money on extending its tennis coverage rather than on what I suspect are fat appearance fees for the likes of BB and GR.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Andy in Barcelona « Reply #62 on: April 22, 2012, 12:52 PM »

You can also access the draw from "Tournament Info" on the RH side of MW main webpage - as well as scores, OOP, and website.  Just click on the relevant box and you're there!  Simple. Smile 
Great to have this up there in good time now Aileen.  There have been times in the past when we've been well into the tourno before we've been able to access via MW.  So thanks.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Andy in Barcelona « Reply #63 on: April 22, 2012, 12:57 PM »

At least I can watch the final on the sofa Wink Hope it's less windy today. Hope it's a corker!
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Andy in Barcelona « Reply #64 on: April 22, 2012, 01:00 PM »

Yes, all this Scottish/English stuff annoys the hell out of me too. However, there is very little we can do about it. I’m Scottish and British and proud of the fact. Most of my work colleagues are English and we get on fine. At World Cup time there is always a bit of banter about teams. We have a South African and a Portuguese colleague and they of course support their country, it’s only natural. So why did these Home Counties folk expect Andy to support England? My first sport is F1 and I’m a massive fan of Lewis Hamilton, followed by Jensen Button (both English) and finally Paul Di Rista in that order. For those that don’t know, Paul is a Scottish F1 driver. 
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy in Barcelona « Reply #65 on: April 22, 2012, 01:09 PM »

Aileen and tmh - I think there is an element of anti-Scottish prejudice among my English compatriots.  A recent study showed considerable hostility towards the Scots among the English and a declining identification with Britain and with England.  So I guess if you think of yourself as English and not British then Andy is not 'one of us'.  I don't but then I'm not nationalistic either and don't support Andy just because he's British.  I think there's a social class factor as well.  Tim Henman fitted the home counties image that many tennis fans identify with although I've heard from more than one source that he could be a complete sh*t off court but somehow that never got picked up.
I agree with the social class factor - and maybe that applies to some extent to the reason why some Scots don't like Andy.  He's "common" (how I detest that!) - but when I think about it, some of the Scots Andy-haters were huge Henman fans ...

Re the bit in bold - do you remember Tim's final Wimbledon when he went out in R2 to Feliciano Lopez and he went into total meltdown, swearing like a trooper?  The gentlemanly mask really slipped then! lol
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Andy in Barcelona « Reply #66 on: April 22, 2012, 01:12 PM »

Am I to understand that Marcus has resigned or been permanently replaced as the main character in Sky's TV coverage? Please advise, someone.

Incidentally, wishing Andy well in Barcelona.

However, just reverting to Andy's defeat by Berdych in Monte Carlo. Until he learns to out-slog Berdych initially on clay (and probably on hard), Andy will not have consistent success against the Czech. Thereafter, from 2nd and 3rd sets, he can bring his normal game into play and win. That is precisely what Djokovic achieved against Berdych. He lost the first set, but by use of the slogging attitude, Berdych tired rapidly in the 2nd and 3rd sets, giving Djokovic his victory.
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Andy in Barcelona « Reply #67 on: April 22, 2012, 01:15 PM »

I
Re the bit in bold - do you remember Tim's final Wimbledon when he went out in R2 to Feliciano Lopez and he went into total meltdown, swearing like a trooper?  The gentlemanly mask really slipped then! lol

But the commentators and the press were fully aware of Henman's bad-boy attitude, but always chose to ignore it as he really was "A TRUE GENTLEMAN" as everyone knew.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Andy in Barcelona « Reply #68 on: April 22, 2012, 01:31 PM »

I live about 10 miles from Wimbledon and my support for Tim Henman was met with the same blank incomprehension from friends as my support for Andy murray is. Mostly I don't talk about it, which I suppose is why I'm here.

An article from 2007, don't know who wrote it.

It was when I woke early yesterday morning and heard the usual banter on the radio after Tim's heroic triumph over Carlos Moya that I realised we had got Tim wrong.

There was the now traditional tittering over "Tim's one win". Someone asked if this would be "Tim's year" and the presenters fell about laughing.

"He wins one match and everyone says it's Tim's year, then he loses," smirked one.

"Let's face it, it will never be Tim's year," quipped another.

And in a way they were right, because Tim Henman is not a man for one season, one Wimbledon. He has proudly carried the flag for Britain for 14 years. He is the most successful tennis player this country has produced for 30 years.

It was, of all people, the former Wimbledon champion John McEnroe who sparked my shift in attitude.

Amid a fury of Tim bashing, he said he just couldn't understand the British. He pointed out that Henman is a true professional, much admired and respected on the world tennis circuit - which, remember, occupies 11 months of the year, not just a fortnight in South London.

He is dedicated, hard-working, courageous, courteous and one of the most successful tennis players Britain has had.

If he were American, he would be hailed as a hero in his native country, McEnroe pointed out.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/columnists/article-465211/Why-Tim-Henman-true-British-hero.html#ixzz1sluUFDRO
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Andy in Barcelona « Reply #69 on: April 22, 2012, 01:36 PM »

I would not call myself or Andy common. It just goes to show how class riddled England is. Too many  Public School boys and too many tax dodgers in their "Class". They look after their own and to hell with people who struggle to make ends meet. Andy comes from a good family and I would not describe him as common. I do not think class is an issue in Scotland maybe some people do but I have not come across it.  I lived in Australia and I would say class is non existant there. It is time it was the same here.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Andy in Barcelona « Reply #70 on: April 22, 2012, 02:45 PM »

[email protected] also, watching how well Rafa and Nole move, Andy's got quite a bit of work to do in that area.
Watching a burly man like Rafa move with such dainty little steps is quite a revelation!
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy in Barcelona « Reply #71 on: April 22, 2012, 02:53 PM »

Yes, all this Scottish/English stuff annoys the hell out of me too. However, there is very little we can do about it. I’m Scottish and British and proud of the fact. Most of my work colleagues are English and we get on fine. At World Cup time there is always a bit of banter about teams. We have a South African and a Portuguese colleague and they of course support their country, it’s only natural. So why did these Home Counties folk expect Andy to support England? My first sport is F1 and I’m a massive fan of Lewis Hamilton, followed by Jensen Button (both English) and finally Paul Di Rista in that order. For those that don’t know, Paul is a Scottish F1 driver. 
Same as me. I really don't know why I favour Hamilton over Button (maybe it's because Lewis is the one who got me into the sport with his first season) but I would always rather Hamilton win than Button (although a 1-2 would be ideal).

Great result for Di Resta today - first time he's beaten both Lewis and Jenson. Will hopefully be at Mercedes next year, very good driver.

But yes. I'm English although I wouldn't say I'm particularly proud of my country. Not really anything to be proud of. The football team are made up of overpaid primadonnas, the media are a joke and many people in the country are just selfish, bigoted twats. But I always support the British sportsman, and I couldn't care less which country they're from. Obviously support England in the independant sports but always want the other home nation sides to do well as well. The in-fighting and abuse because someone was born a couple of miles further north or west is just pathetic.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy in Barcelona « Reply #72 on: April 22, 2012, 03:00 PM »

I agree with the social class factor - and maybe that applies to some extent to the reason why some Scots don't like Andy.  He's "common" (how I detest that!) - but when I think about it, some of the Scots Andy-haters were huge Henman fans ...

In Andy's book he talks a lot about Henman actually and says he's one of the greatest, most genuine people he knows. At his first Wimbledon when no-one had a clue who he was Henman really helped him out and looked out for him, save for his first DC match. He also says that Henman had just learned to be polite and bland because otherwise the media will pick up on things - which Andy has obviously since learned the hard way.

Also mentions how Henman said he would sometimes shout and scream to let out some emotion to try and fire himself up if he playing a bit poor.

I don't think Henman ever intended to come across as "a gentleman" but it's just how he's perceived because of his interviews and general on court demeanour. Andy also mentions that off-court he's a great laugh and quite immature, often playing pranks on each other, etc.

But anyway, I always supported Tim (although I wasn't as interested in tennis in his day as I was a bit younger) and now I support Andy. Because they're British.

Obviously everyone is different and everyone is entitled to support who they want. I know many on here support Andy because of his tennis and personality, rather than his nationality. But for me personally, I always support the British sportsmen and teams (even in football when they're playing in Europe, I want the British sides to win... apart from Man United, I never want them to win). And it makes me feel really proud when I say that British flag. Like in F1, before this week Hamilton and Button were leading the World Championship and it was a great to see the two British flags above all the German and Spanish ones. I do like many other sportsmen for reasons like personality and playstyle, but I never support them and whilst I like to see them win, I don't mind at all if they lose and if it helps Andy or the British sportsmen then all the better. Hard to explain really.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy in Barcelona « Reply #73 on: April 22, 2012, 03:54 PM »

Is it, though?

Look at this way: Does he play a lot of clay tournaments because he's less successful on the hard.

Or is he less successful on the hard because he plays a lot of clay tournaments (and burns himself out)?

Not only Nada'sl best surface is clay as he grew up on it but it's also the weakest field for quite some time now, so it's a combination of both. And hard has always been the most competitive field on tour. Since 2005 (with the exception of 2011 Wimbledon) no one has won Wimbledon or RG outside Fedal whereas hard has seen different winners over the same years - Djokovic and Del Potro being the other two. In fact, Nole has won 4 Slams out of 5 on hard court. So even Nadal cuts down his clay events and concentrate more on hard, he won't be as successful as he is on clay. More than 70% of his success is on clay. More than half of his Slams and his top ranking along with his consistency are heavily relied on his success on clay and I am not sure if he would have won either of his hard court title had he not gained all that confidence from clay.  Also, it’s his wins against Federer at RG finals that eventually allowed him to also beat Federer at Wimbledon. Confidence is everything to Nadal and that confidence strictly comes from his performance on clay, a surface that comes naturally to him. In other words, if there was no clay there would be no Nadal. He’s mostly one surface wonder but it’s to his credit that he was able to do other things based on it.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy in Barcelona « Reply #74 on: April 22, 2012, 04:01 PM »

Obviously everyone is different and everyone is entitled to support who they want. I know many on here support Andy because of his tennis and personality, rather than his nationality. But for me personally, I always support the British sportsmen and teams (even in football when they're playing in Europe, I want the British sides to win... apart from Man United, I never want them to win). And it makes me feel really proud when I say that British flag. Like in F1, before this week Hamilton and Button were leading the World Championship and it was a great to see the two British flags above all the German and Spanish ones. I do like many other sportsmen for reasons like personality and playstyle, but I never support them and whilst I like to see them win, I don't mind at all if they lose and if it helps Andy or the British sportsmen then all the better. Hard to explain really.
All I can say is that, certainly when it comes to sporting achievements, I'm proud to be Scottish and equally proud to be British.  Come the Olympics I'll have a lump in my throat for whichever Brit is standing on the "gold" podium whilst the union flag is flying and the national anthem playing.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 11 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »