Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy in Barcelona 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy in Barcelona

(Read 6677 times)
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Andy in Barcelona « Reply #90 on: April 22, 2012, 08:23 PM »

The attitude of Britons toward sports and British sportsmen really is strange. Does any other country in the world have fans like ours who berate their top sportsmen at any opportunity for any reason and a media who constantly try to twist their words, incite hate and bring them down?

I despair at this country sometimes.

So do I madhatter. The football supporters want to realise that most of our "british" teams are full of foreign managers and players.

Tom Daly has gone through it recently too with the media, build them up to knock them down!

Andy will show them all they are wrong and soon.  Then see them change their tune.

And Murray magic I dont care what they play him, take the high road, Loch Lomond or the pretenders as long as it gets him there!!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy in Barcelona « Reply #91 on: April 22, 2012, 08:33 PM »

Bit gutted about that, would have loved Andy to have another chance of playing him, am sure the result may have been different, as it is so often is when Andy has suffered a defeat. 
As far as I can see from the draw, Andy and Berdych would only have met if both reached the final.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Andy in Barcelona « Reply #92 on: April 22, 2012, 08:34 PM »

Ruthie:- I agree with you 100% there is an element of anti-Scottish prejudice as you say because he is not one of us (English) if you bring it up you are termed as a racist. It works both ways so that I think plays a big part of it. Andy as Ruthie says is not from the Home Counties and is not accepted as being from the right class. Anyway I think the South East of England seems to think it's the bees knees. From a recent survey even the people north of the Watford gap are feeling the results of the recession.People in the North of England it has always been so with high unemployment rates. So attitudes are very different the further North you go. People feel they are not included. The same applies to Scotland thus more people want to take charge of the economy and political decisions without a distant parliament at Westminister.

I could take offense at that! I am from the "South East of England" and dont think Im the bees knees. The best atmosphere I have watched tennis in is at the Braehead and couldnt get take the high road (excuse me if thats not what its called) out of my head for a week.
We are lucky in so far as we have 3 tennis venues in easy travelling distance but they are often full of corporate stuff shirts who have the money to pay the high prices for tickets.
Those people are NOT proper tennis fans so please dont assume we are all the same.
No I would not like to see Scotland become separated from Britain but only because I think they are a great sociable down to earth country. Oh and they have alot of fantastic tennis players too. lol.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Andy in Barcelona « Reply #93 on: April 22, 2012, 08:41 PM »

The only bit I will be watching is the tennis. 

Me too.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Andy in Barcelona « Reply #94 on: April 22, 2012, 08:45 PM »

Am I to understand that Marcus has resigned or been permanently replaced as the main character in Sky's TV coverage? Please advise, someone.

Anyone got connections at sky cant we find out.  We could all email them and demand him back lol
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Andy in Barcelona « Reply #95 on: April 22, 2012, 08:55 PM »

I could take offense at that! I am from the "South East of England" and dont think Im the bees knees. The best atmosphere I have watched tennis in is at the Braehead and couldnt get take the high road (excuse me if thats not what its called) out of my head for a week.
We are lucky in so far as we have 3 tennis venues in easy travelling distance but they are often full of corporate stuff shirts who have the money to pay the high prices for tickets.
Those people are NOT proper tennis fans so please dont assume we are all the same.
No I would not like to see Scotland become separated from Britain but only because I think they are a great sociable down to earth country. Oh and they have alot of fantastic tennis players too. lol.
It's Loch Lomond by Runrig, Take the High Road was a Scottish Soap from yesteryear!!!   :whistle:But I will let you off seen as you enjoyed the song !!!  Totally agree with you re. Braehead have been there four times and the atmosphere was electric especially the two ties when Andy played
IP Logged
Ghostbuster
Challenger Level

Re: Andy in Barcelona « Reply #96 on: April 22, 2012, 09:39 PM »

I'm expecting a final here. I think anything less would be disappointing, especially after Monte Carlo.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy in Barcelona « Reply #97 on: April 22, 2012, 09:40 PM »

I'm expecting a final here. I think anything less would be disappointing, especially after Monte Carlo.
Disappointing but would be understandable given Ferrer is on his side of the draw.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy in Barcelona « Reply #98 on: April 22, 2012, 10:13 PM »

Andy's chances are definitley looking better here.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Andy in Barcelona « Reply #99 on: April 23, 2012, 01:46 AM »

I think you have to be British to understand the Scottish/British or Scottish/English thing - although having said that I'm not sure that a lot of either Scottish or English people do understand it!  Basically it goes back for hundreds of years.  The Scots, Welsh and Irish are of Celtic origin whereas the English are of Germanic Anglo-Saxon origin, so I suppose you could say that it's in the blood.

Most of it did happen hundreds of years ago but still lingers on today dontknow

We should all be proud of where we come from - I am/Andy is - though I'm not proud of what the country has become.  There's good and bad everywhere we live, it's whether we want to continue to hold a grudge for something that this generation had nothing to do with or move on.  Yep I do realise that there are still ongoing issues with Scotland wanting independence from the UK but there seems to be a divided opinion there amongst the Scottish people.

Happy St George's day to our listeners from England btw Very Happy
IP Logged
Knights
Junior

Re: Andy in Barcelona « Reply #100 on: April 23, 2012, 02:43 AM »

Berdych has just pulled out so Nadal  gets and easier draw. It would of been better if Berdych was on Andy's half.
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: Andy in Barcelona « Reply #101 on: April 23, 2012, 04:15 AM »

Think Curious

I wonder if this one will work for you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wixz_r7v51E#noexternalembed
Thanks Bev, that one I could open...enjoyed it!

I looked at the draw and did not see djokovic nor birdman.  Raonic is in Andy's side of the draw and Andy's #2 seed, Nadal is #1.

Yes, let's hope that Andy has a good run here all the way to the finals, but most of these guys I haven't heard of and are probably best on clay.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Andy in Barcelona « Reply #102 on: April 23, 2012, 06:20 AM »

No expectations please. Let's just hope Andy gets lots of match practise, so no withdrawals!
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Andy in Barcelona « Reply #103 on: April 23, 2012, 07:00 AM »

Andy's R2 opponent will be known after today's matches-they are 4th on Pista 2.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy in Barcelona « Reply #104 on: April 23, 2012, 02:12 PM »

Andy's potential 3rd round opponent Chela has also withdrawn so if Andy gets past Stakhovsky or Donskoy in R2 he would potentially meet Giraldo or Haase in R3.

Raonic is in Andy's quarter but would have to get past Almagro first, and I can't really see that happening on this surface.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »