Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jurgen Melzer, Wednesday, Time TBA - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy in Barcelona 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy in Barcelona

(Read 5894 times)
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Andy in Barcelona « Reply #135 on: April 25, 2012, 03:23 PM »

Well done boys you have made my day. It is pouring here a nice ray of sunshine.  hug hug hug
IP Logged
adb..OH
Seed

Re: Andy in Barcelona « Reply #136 on: April 25, 2012, 03:38 PM »

So, singles tomorrow, well & good.  Congrats Andy & Jamie for the win today!
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Andy in Barcelona « Reply #137 on: April 25, 2012, 03:46 PM »

Andy needs all the practise he can get on the red stuff,
The more practise the more comfortably he'll play.
Which means the more aggressive he will play when all is said and done.
When he is unsure he is a mile behind the baseline. And we all know how that plays out.
This is why I think once he gets on grass or hardcourts again he will resume his more aggressive game from the get go. But I'm still hopeful for the clay court season.
[ Last edit by theycanbillme April 25, 2012, 03:55 PM ] IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Andy in Barcelona « Reply #138 on: April 25, 2012, 05:34 PM »

Well Done Andy & Jamie!!  yay yay
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy in Barcelona « Reply #139 on: April 25, 2012, 05:55 PM »

Nobility has nothing to do with it.

It's hard to explain really. I just feel a certain affinity with British sportsmen.

It's a bit like with football really. I never chose who I supported, rather I grew up with them all around me. It's no surprise I support the same team as my dad.

Same with individual sports, like tennis or golf or F1. I don't choose who I support, I just end up supporting the British guys because they represent my country.

Here's food for thought - do you support the Canadians at the Olympics? It's a very similar notion. I think it's just natural for many people to support those who represent their nation.

I've always been a bit ignorant and assumed everyone was the same but clearly in your case it's not, so thanks for opening my eyes a little bit. Obviously everyone has their own reasons for supporting any player or team. For me it's never been a choice, more an affinity. I expect it's the same for many others, but likewise I understand that there always several others who support players/teams for different reasons.

No. I prefer what I like and I can like a player or team from a different country. Let's say both Pakistan (where I was actually born) and UK have excellent cricket teams and now, they are in the WC final against each other, and I have always liked UK team far better, so in this case, I will most certainly support UK team. It's that simple with me.

I guess I see myself as a citizen of the world and I don't like labeling myself. So for those reasons, I prefer individual effort/success. A team can be successful but not necessarily I will see that a success to the country they belong to. I find it a very narrow concept and don't like to limit myself to that. Let me put it this way, a mother is more than likely to love and support her child unconditionally as she’s prone to by nature, but when she shows the same love/support to someone else, who's not blood related or didn't come from her, I obviously see that as real love and support – not that the previous love is any fake, but you are doing it because of the built in mechanism that you have going on.

This begs the question here - would you have loved and supported Andy if he wasn't a Brit? I know I would have because I like him regardless and my support/love for him is not based on something that I am automatically set out to do. I prefer going beyond the boundaries or at least not get limited by them. But of course, I don't expect the same from everyone though I like to question the sincerity from time to time. I like to choose. Can't just support something so blindly.
[ Last edit by Emma Jean April 25, 2012, 06:22 PM ] IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy in Barcelona « Reply #140 on: April 25, 2012, 05:59 PM »

Andy needs all the practise he can get on the red stuff,
The more practise the more comfortably he'll play.
Which means the more aggressive he will play when all is said and done.
When he is unsure he is a mile behind the baseline. And we all know how that plays out.
This is why I think once he gets on grass or hardcourts again he will resume his more aggressive game from the get go. But I'm still hopeful for the clay court season.

I don't think he's miles behind the baseline when he's unsure but rather a true aggressive player pushes him to that line and since it's consistent with his own style of play, he resorts to it quite easily. He's aggressive when he thinks he's going to be aggressive; in other words, a decision has already been made even before the match started, but he can't make that decision all the time or maybe you are right in a round about way - when he's unsure he stays back to his comfort zone.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy in Barcelona « Reply #141 on: April 25, 2012, 06:25 PM »

That's fair enough EJ. I obviously can't speak for everyone but in that case I'd imagine you're in a minority. I guess there's probably many others out there who are the same. Each to their own, it's diversity that makes these sort of topics great to discuss. Smile

As for Andy - well no. If he was a Spaniard called Antonio Morales I wouldn't really support him, he'd be just another top foreign player like Nadal or Djokovic. I'd appreciate him, like I appreciate Nadal or Djokovic or Federer as tennis players but I would feel no real affinity toward him. And it would also mean I wouldn't really care about tennis whatsoever. Until he appeared on the scene I never gave it much notice, and it was his epic match against Gasquet in 2008 that really got me into the sport. So thank god for Andy and what he's done for the sport in this country.

About choosing, I dunno, it is really hard to explain. Obviously I can understand the concept but in sport I've never really gotten the chance to choose, as I just get drawn to a team or player when I don't know much about the sport, then after I really get into that affinity is there and I can't just stop supporting them out of choice. Maybe this will change as I get older in terms of the individual sports like tennis and F1 where players retire and move on, but I think I'll always support the British sportsmen out of that affinity (I feel like I've over-used this word!). That's just me. Obviously everyone is different.
[ Last edit by TheMadHatter April 25, 2012, 06:31 PM ] IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Andy in Barcelona « Reply #142 on: April 25, 2012, 06:46 PM »

No. I prefer what I like and I can like a player or team from a different country. Let's say both Pakistan (where I was actually born)
Were you very young when you came to Canada EJ?  We live in a multicultural society here, and some cultures have been diluted.  My son was born in Scotland, but I doubt he would care about supporting Scotland because it doesn't mean that much to him as it does to me.

.....a mother is more than likely to love and support her child unconditionally as she’s prone to by nature, but when she shows the same love/support to someone else, who's not blood related or didn't come from her, I obviously see that as real love and support – not that the previous love is any fake, but you are doing it because of the built in mechanism that you have going on.

Wha?? confused
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy in Barcelona « Reply #143 on: April 25, 2012, 09:19 PM »

That's fair enough EJ. I obviously can't speak for everyone but in that case I'd imagine you're in a minority. I guess there's probably many others out there who are the same. Each to their own, it's diversity that makes these sort of topics great to discuss. Smile

As for Andy - well no. If he was a Spaniard called Antonio Morales I wouldn't really support him, he'd be just another top foreign player like Nadal or Djokovic. I'd appreciate him, like I appreciate Nadal or Djokovic or Federer as tennis players but I would feel no real affinity toward him. And it would also mean I wouldn't really care about tennis whatsoever. Until he appeared on the scene I never gave it much notice, and it was his epic match against Gasquet in 2008 that really got me into the sport. So thank god for Andy and what he's done for the sport in this country.

About choosing, I dunno, it is really hard to explain. Obviously I can understand the concept but in sport I've never really gotten the chance to choose, as I just get drawn to a team or player when I don't know much about the sport, then after I really get into that affinity is there and I can't just stop supporting them out of choice. Maybe this will change as I get older in terms of the individual sports like tennis and F1 where players retire and move on, but I think I'll always support the British sportsmen out of that affinity (I feel like I've over-used this word!). That's just me. Obviously everyone is different.

Of course, I welcome everything as long as it’s not causing any harm. Even if I don’t like something, I welcome it simply because it adds variety (variety is the spice of life after all) and I most certainly don’t expect them to disappear, though I think we should constantly strive for a better world and eliminate things that stand in the way of moving forward. It’s only a few people, you know, who move things forward, rest are just the spectators of the show.

We choose of course even unconsciously so but we are always choosing. Maybe you are not choosing between teams of different countries, but you are definitely choosing between teams from the same country and sometimes, even from the same region, same neighborhood etc. but you are choosing.
[ Last edit by Emma Jean April 25, 2012, 09:23 PM ] IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy in Barcelona « Reply #144 on: April 25, 2012, 09:22 PM »

Were you very young when you came to Canada EJ?  We live in a multicultural society here, and some cultures have been diluted.  My son was born in Scotland, but I doubt he would care about supporting Scotland because it doesn't mean that much to him as it does to me.

I don't think it's any coincidence that you support Andy and Raonic respectively, Scot and follow the same region you were born into. Similarly, it's no coincidence that your son doesn't feel as strongly about Scotland as you do.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy in Barcelona « Reply #145 on: April 25, 2012, 09:36 PM »

What I truly meant by choosing is that I'd like to be aware of what I am choosing rather than just blindly choosing it - something a lot of people tend to do without giving it an ounce of thought.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy in Barcelona « Reply #146 on: April 26, 2012, 04:36 PM »

Getting trounced in the Doubles; lost the first set 2-6. 1-1 in the second currently.
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Andy in Barcelona « Reply #147 on: April 26, 2012, 04:59 PM »

Getting trounced in the Doubles; lost the first set 2-6. 1-1 in the second currently.

Not too much
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy in Barcelona « Reply #148 on: April 26, 2012, 05:04 PM »

4-4, 0-30 up. Opening here.

Nope back to 30-30.

Qureshi/Rojer hold serve and now Andy and Jamie are serving to stay in the match at 4-5.

Break point for Andy and Jamie at 5-5.  pray

Andy and Jamie break!  cmon yeah 6-5, they will now have a chance to serve for the set.  pray
[ Last edit by TheMadHatter April 26, 2012, 05:15 PM ] IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy in Barcelona « Reply #149 on: April 26, 2012, 05:19 PM »

And they take the set. cmon yeah

2-6, 7-5.

Now for a super tie-break.  nervous
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »