Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?

MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy in Barcelona 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] Go Down Reply
Author

Andy in Barcelona

(Read 6133 times)
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Andy in Barcelona « Reply #150 on: April 26, 2012, 05:25 PM »

I don't think he's miles behind the baseline when he's unsure but rather a true aggressive player pushes him to that line and since it's consistent with his own style of play, he resorts to it quite easily. He's aggressive when he thinks he's going to be aggressive; in other words, a decision has already been made even before the match started, but he can't make that decision all the time or maybe you are right in a round about way - when he's unsure he stays back to his comfort zone.

He's often a very tentative player that rarely comes out with all guns blazing, although when he does the results can be spectacular.
Also If he is not "feeling it" for whatever reason then he will resort to playing far behind the baseline and in my view this is a bad habit, not always a tactical decision.
Saying he falls back into his comfort zone is saying the same thing.
In my view playing too far behind the baseline is something Andy must evolve from, he will never be as attacking as federer or even Djokivic but it would help his cause to play closer to the baseline and attack from there.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy in Barcelona « Reply #151 on: April 26, 2012, 05:35 PM »

And they lose out at the last, going down 8-10 in the STB. Frown

Actually a mini-break up at 7-6, but immediately handed it back and then serving at 8-9 lost to give the 7th seeds the win. So so close to getting through, literally two points away.

Still, good effort and some good match practice.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy in Barcelona « Reply #152 on: April 26, 2012, 05:40 PM »

He's often a very tentative player that rarely comes out with all guns blazing, although when he does the results can be spectacular. Also If he is not "feeling it" for whatever reason then he will resort to playing far behind the baseline and in my view this is a bad habit, not always a tactical decision. Saying he falls back into his comfort zone is saying the same thing.
In my view playing too far behind the baseline is something Andy must evolve from, he will never be as attacking as federer or even Djokivic but it would help his cause to play closer to the baseline and attack from there.

Andy can definitely turn things around during a match even when he sees a player attacking right away. Counter attack instead of defending the point. That throws your opponents off and it then makes them defend their own points. But typically Andy would wait for the right moment rather than just mindless attacking back, but not always that open the door for him for that perfect point. I don't think he has found that perfect game of his, but then again, I think he's more into adjusting his game according to his opponents and not just play one scripted game like Federer that works almost all the time.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Andy in Barcelona « Reply #153 on: April 26, 2012, 06:03 PM »

Federer is like a Robot and thats what Rafa and Novak also aspire to be.
Murray is the most unpredictable and thoughtful, he's freer but he can get himself tangled up a bit by overthinking everthing.
Again he needs to find that balance.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Andy in Barcelona « Reply #154 on: April 26, 2012, 06:44 PM »

Sounds like they played well in the dubs after the first set to push the 7th seeds all the way in the final t-b.  All good practice for Andy especially at the net but sorry for Jamie's sake they didn't get through when clearly they could have done.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Andy in Barcelona « Reply #155 on: April 26, 2012, 08:16 PM »

Federer is like a Robot and thats what Rafa and Novak also aspire to be.
Murray is the most unpredictable and thoughtful, he's freer but he can get himself tangled up a bit by overthinking everthing.
Again he needs to find that balance.
  Thats a pretty succinct analysis, but its how you need to be if things don't go as planned - just hope it works more times than not, roll with the blows and seize the chances. Robots are predictable, that's a two edged sword.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Andy in Barcelona « Reply #156 on: April 27, 2012, 01:39 AM »

Hard luck to Andy and Jamie in the doubles hug
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Andy in Barcelona « Reply #157 on: April 29, 2012, 10:05 AM »

He's often a very tentative player that rarely comes out with all guns blazing, although when he does the results can be spectacular.
Also If he is not "feeling it" for whatever reason then he will resort to playing far behind the baseline and in my view this is a bad habit, not always a tactical decision.

I agree with you unfortunately. However, if you look at some of the old videos of Andy he was an awful pusher for a lot of the time and his game has certainly evolved from then.
We're back to that old question of whether Andy has the self-belief to win the big ones. Juries out on that one, alas. Think
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Andy in Barcelona « Reply #158 on: April 29, 2012, 10:14 AM »

I agree with you unfortunately. However, if you look at some of the old videos of Andy he was an awful pusher for a lot of the time and his game has certainly evolved from then.
We're back to that old question of whether Andy has the self-belief to win the big ones. Juries out on that one, alas. Think
I believe he has and he will show his doubters what he is made of. Do you really think Ivan Lendl would have taken on Andy if he didn't believe that Andy would win G S's. Pity so many are now doubters, think back to this time last year many were writing him off after his slump. Come on buck up and send those positive vibes to Andy and his team.
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Andy in Barcelona « Reply #159 on: April 29, 2012, 11:04 AM »

Yeah! For goodness sake buck up everyone, poisitive vibes please!!  Boxing
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Andy in Barcelona « Reply #160 on: April 29, 2012, 12:56 PM »

Andy has won umpteen Masters 1,000/500 titles. In doing so he has beaten Fed, Rafa and Nole. He has reached 3 Slam finals  yet has not won a set. How can you possibly think that, for the big ones, the juries not out on self-belief Think
Nor am I saying never. But something inside him has to change. Hope Lendl can do it.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Andy in Barcelona « Reply #161 on: April 29, 2012, 03:12 PM »

Andy has won umpteen Masters 1,000/500 titles. In doing so he has beaten Fed, Rafa and Nole. He has reached 3 Slam finals  yet has not won a set. How can you possibly think that, for the big ones, the juries not out on self-belief Think
Nor am I saying never. But something inside him has to change. Hope Lendl can do it.
I share this view - but I know the man has it in him, if he can find the key, and take his chances, with a bit of luck. Meantime I'm happy to follow his tennis- he's the only Brit, not to say the first Scot to have half a chance of reaching the top of the game. There are still many more triumphs to come, but suffering makes a man wise, for players and fans alike.  Fingers crossed
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Andy in Barcelona « Reply #162 on: April 29, 2012, 04:58 PM »

Yes, precisely because I  love his tennis and believe he's so talented, is why I'm getting v. frustrated at what I perceive is some backwards movement Eyebrow raise.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Andy in Barcelona « Reply #163 on: April 30, 2012, 05:57 PM »

Yes, precisely because I  love his tennis and believe he's so talented, is why I'm getting v. frustrated at what I perceive is some backwards movement Eyebrow raise.
Backwards movement in what timespan bbh?  If you mean just recently, don't you think this could be symptomatic of Andy going through a period of transition in his game when he is having to break long established patterns and habits, which worked for him for a long time?  I agree it's frustrating to watch but I think we need to try to be patient and give him and also Lendl the benefit of any doubt.  From what he says he is also aware of the need to strengthen himself mentally and I get the sense that this is one of the things that he is looking to Lendl for help with.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »