Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy in Cincinnati 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Reply
Author

Andy in Cincinnati

(Read 2852 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy in Cincinnati « Reply #60 on: August 17, 2011, 01:49 AM »

Read a very interesting article by Kevin what's his name, Mitchell(?) in The Guardian. He likened Andy to Safin calling them both "brilliant and fragile." Apparently Andy lost to Safin at Cincy, when he was 4 in the world. I thought it was an interesting comparison, which I am still mulling over. Think
Just seen Tsonga wipe the floor with Cilic..um..not too injured then... Whistle
Bevc, your snow has been all over our news. Hope u r enjoying it, or if you aren't bet your kids are Smile
I read it too.  One of the big difference between Andy and Safin, unfortunately, is that Safin was charismatic on court and was popular with the fans despite his temperamental outbursts.

Quite frankly I fear for Andy if he comes up against Tsonga, who's been playing like a man inspired recently, despite their H2H being 4-1 to Andy.  Mr Magic will have to come out all guns blazing right from the start as there'll be no room for sloppiness or going AWOL here.

Also I do not believe Tsonga was injured in Montreal, at least not from the way he was playing.  An "aching arm" covers a multitude of problems.  If anything, it could just have been some muscle fatigue which a couple of days rest and physio would help.  The bottom line therefore would seem to be that he knew darned well that he had no chance of beating Djoko, so why over-exert himself?  Incidentally he did Djoko a favour because, as was clear from the final, Djoko had a right shoulder problem.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy in Cincinnati « Reply #61 on: August 17, 2011, 02:17 AM »

Just watching Federer/Delpo match.  Fed's 1st serve percentage 86% in the first set. w00t
IP Logged
tomthoms
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy in Cincinnati « Reply #62 on: August 17, 2011, 03:35 AM »

Quite frankly I fear for Andy if he comes up against Tsonga, who's been playing like a man inspired recently, despite their H2H being 4-1 to Andy.  Mr Magic will have to come out all guns blazing right from the start as there'll be no room for sloppiness or going AWOL here.

Also I do not believe Tsonga was injured in Montreal, at least not from the way he was playing.  An "aching arm" covers a multitude of problems.  If anything, it could just have been some muscle fatigue which a couple of days rest and physio would help.  The bottom line therefore would seem to be that he knew darned well that he had no chance of beating Djoko, so why over-exert himself?  Incidentally he did Djoko a favour because, as was clear from the final, Djoko had a right shoulder problem.

That is what I suspect, Aileen. Which is why I posted this -- (Note that what Joe said to Novak
would have been after the Cin. draw was known and Joe would have been aware of his, more than likely, match against Andy) :

Re: Murray dumped out in Montreal « Reply #261 on: August 14, 2011, 04:17 AM »   

‘Tsonga, who admitted to fitness concerns after his quarter-final win over Nicolas Almagro, said he was struggling to hit the ball with an aching arm and told Djokovic 'I want to make sure I can play next week (in Cincinnati)' before walking off court.’

I am not sure that I like the sound of that!

You can read it all here:

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/14082011/58/djokovic-final-hurt-tsonga-booed.html

I am also a wee bit wary of his new found "inspiration" possibly becoming a threat to Andy's 4th. place -- if Andy's performances do not improve!

[ Last edit by tomthoms August 17, 2011, 03:38 AM ] IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Andy in Cincinnati « Reply #63 on: August 17, 2011, 06:44 AM »

I'm sure Andy will come out prepared this week, with 'all guns blazing' and play as best he can! With the draw he has, he knows he can't afford to be sloppy! That's why I believe having a tougher draw may actually be good for him! I seriously hope he thrashes the 'newly inspired' Tsonga, who has slipped down a notch in my estimation after that stunt he pulled last week!
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Andy in Cincinnati « Reply #64 on: August 17, 2011, 06:57 AM »

Looks more like a gnome with a walking stick.  Whistle
Not a fan then tut, tut naughty. Remember being utterly blown away by first one, scene in the bar is just iconic.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Andy in Cincinnati « Reply #65 on: August 17, 2011, 07:27 AM »

I read it too.  One of the big difference between Andy and Safin, unfortunately, is that Safin was charismatic on court and was popular with the fans despite his temperamental outbursts.

Quite frankly I fear for Andy if he comes up against Tsonga, who's been playing like a man inspired recently, despite their H2H being 4-1 to Andy.  Mr Magic will have to come out all guns blazing right from the start as there'll be no room for sloppiness or going AWOL here.

Also I do not believe Tsonga was injured in Montreal, at least not from the way he was playing.  An "aching arm" covers a multitude of problems.  If anything, it could just have been some muscle fatigue which a couple of days rest and physio would help.  The bottom line therefore would seem to be that he knew darned well that he had no chance of beating Djoko, so why over-exert himself?  Incidentally he did Djoko a favour because, as was clear from the final, Djoko had a right shoulder problem.
Does sound as if that is what happened with Tsonga and presumably he'd have put out a statement clarifying the situation if it was being misinterpreted.  Weird that he said that to Nole though - or could say that he was just being honest about motive even if not about just how injured he was?  Like Caz though does rather shake my regard for him.  And also hope that this draw will have concentrated Andy's mind.
Oh bbh have to admit never even seen the films.  Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Andy in Cincinnati « Reply #66 on: August 17, 2011, 07:30 AM »

Ruthie...aaahhhhh shocking
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Andy in Cincinnati « Reply #67 on: August 17, 2011, 08:56 AM »

Ruthie...aaahhhhh shocking
we all have our weaknesses  bbh   doh
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Andy in Cincinnati « Reply #68 on: August 17, 2011, 09:58 AM »

we all have our weaknesses  bbh   doh
Speak for yourself, darling Wink
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Andy in Cincinnati « Reply #69 on: August 17, 2011, 10:04 AM »

Awww.....You've missed a treat Ruthie.......Hans Solo! wub
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Andy in Cincinnati « Reply #70 on: August 17, 2011, 10:36 AM »

Speak for yourself, darling Wink

I bow before perfection
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Andy in Cincinnati « Reply #71 on: August 17, 2011, 11:30 AM »

Bevc, your snow has been all over our news. Hope u r enjoying it, or if you aren't bet your kids are Smile

Only a smatter of snow where we are - kids a tad disappointed that it wasn't more Very Happy  Blooming cold at times though.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Andy in Cincinnati « Reply #72 on: August 17, 2011, 12:11 PM »

Yes saw on the news about the snow in New Zealand. I remember when I lived in Melbourne we would get hailstone as big as golf balls but that was always in the winter. Nice snow for the kids to play in though.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Andy in Cincinnati « Reply #73 on: August 17, 2011, 12:14 PM »

You wouldn't think that it would make the news but it has been about 75 years since some parts last saw it.  Don't fancy the hail as big as golf balls, no matter how much I like Melbourne!
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Andy in Cincinnati « Reply #74 on: August 17, 2011, 12:17 PM »

Yes even some cars were damaged, some people could not believe it how big they were.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »