Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy in Davis Cup 2013 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy in Davis Cup 2013

(Read 4028 times)
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Andy in Davis Cup 2013 « on: December 27, 2012, 09:13 PM »

Hi all

I know its still a while away but does anyone have any information on where Davis cup is likely to be held next year? Also the possibility of whether or not Andy will play.

I'm eager to see him play live & heard rumours that it will be at braehead arena again, also my tennis coach informed me that he has to play so many Davis cup ties to qualify for next Olympics, is this correct.
[ Last edit by angiebabez December 28, 2012, 07:45 PM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: ANDY IN DAVIS CUP « Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 03:46 AM »

The next tie is against Russia from 5-7 April but the venue is still to be decided.  With five players in the top 100 Russia is going to be tough so it's possible Andy might play.

Your coach is right.  A player will only be able to participate if he's made himself available to be picked to represent his country in the Davis Cup for two of the following years: 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, with one of the years being either 2015 or before the qualifying date in 2016.  That date was 31 March this year for tennis - each sport having its own qualifying date - so I expect 2016 will be the same.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Re: ANDY IN DAVIS CUP « Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 10:21 AM »

Thanks Eileen! I thought all my efforts were in vain when nobody answered me lol, heres hoping then? Would be so handy for me as braehead is only 15 mins away. Have plans to go to world tour finals in london also (assuming andy will qualify) but fingers crossed for braehead first   pray
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: ANDY IN DAVIS CUP « Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 10:51 AM »

I want Andy to play DC only when it could really make a difference as I don't want it to get in the way of his personal goals.   That might sound selfish but we're still so far from winning DC that for Andy to win more GSs and/or get to #1 ranking would do more for British tennis.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Re: ANDY IN DAVIS CUP « Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 10:59 AM »

Yeah I can see were you're coming from Ruthie, don't think we are ever gonna win it, my reasons are even more selfish though..............I'm just desperate to see him play live & that would be an easy commute for me lol, least I'm honest   w00t
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: ANDY IN DAVIS CUP « Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 12:25 PM »

Yes I guess if I lived that close I'd feel the same angie.  Btw re wasting your tenner on ESPN (another thread I know but I forget which one) remember they'll be showing final stages of Brisbane too so hopefully we'll get our money's worth then (though I'm away a couple of days and will have to record)
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Re: ANDY IN DAVIS CUP « Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 12:29 PM »

Yes I guess if I lived that close I'd feel the same angie.  Btw re wasting your tenner on ESPN (another thread I know but I forget which one) remember they'll be showing final stages of Brisbane too so hopefully we'll get our money's worth then (though I'm away a couple of days and will have to record)
that's true Ruthie, I will be back at work by the time Andy starts so I will be having to record it also, prob be on early hours of morning for us Frown
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Andy in Davis Cup « Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 12:35 PM »

I'm not sure they're showing it live Angie - may just be highlights later in the day if I remember correctly from radio times
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Re: Andy in Davis Cup « Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 12:45 PM »

Ooh thats right!! I remember checking the espn schedule. I have too many things tennis on my mind at the minute im getting them all mixed up  confused
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy in Davis Cup « Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 03:18 PM »

Thanks Eileen! I thought all my efforts were in vain when nobody answered me lol, heres hoping then? Would be so handy for me as braehead is only 15 mins away. Have plans to go to world tour finals in london also (assuming andy will qualify) but fingers crossed for braehead first   pray
Well at least I knew about the thread!  That's the trouble though because topics disappear off the discussion list in the Forum box very quickly because it's so short - something I've complained to Mark about in the past but got ignored - so new topics can easily go unnoticed.

For details as to venue, players, etc, this is the website to keep an eye on - http://www.lta.org.uk/daviscup

I want Andy to play DC only when it could really make a difference as I don't want it to get in the way of his personal goals.   That might sound selfish but we're still so far from winning DC that for Andy to win more GSs and/or get to #1 ranking would do more for British tennis.
I agree with you, Ruthie.  Russia will certainly be a big challenge for our lads but that's what they need to pep them up a bit.  They're at the level they deserve to be at.  No way are they ready for the World Group.  Admittedly the tie does fall fairly conveniently between Miami and Monte Carlo, and I know how much Andy enjoys playing DC, but even if he does want to play Lendl might have other ideas.  Also Andy himself has said he needs to be careful about his scheduling now, so expending energy unnecessarily on what is really an unimportant DC tie may well not be on the agenda. 
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Andy in Davis Cup « Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 03:54 PM »

I'm keen to see how the other Brits do this year - especially Jamie Baker (GB no 2, WR 245) and Ollie Golding after their Miami training experience with team Murray. JB is playing Doha qualifiers next week, and James Ward has been practising with Wawrinka in Chennai today (after a long time off with wrist injury). As Aileen says we're not ready for World Group yet - not until there's a higher ranked no 2

Just seen James Ward plays in chennai qualifiers tomorrow. New season has started!
[ Last edit by Elena December 28, 2012, 05:11 PM ] IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Andy in Davis Cup « Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 04:14 PM »

I agree the mens DC squad needs to be a lot stronger to play in the World Group. Andy would have to play more matches and I am afraid Mr Lendl might have something to say about that.  He has a tough schedule as it is I think he has his hands full at the moment. He will have to be a bit selfish and think about himself and not be pushed into playing DC.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Re: Andy in Davis Cup « Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 04:25 PM »

Things ain't looking good for me then 
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Andy in Davis Cup « Reply #13 on: December 28, 2012, 04:48 PM »

ah angie but we have to put Andy's needs first I'm afraid.  hug
And who knows it might not even be at braehead arena, especially if Andy makes clear well in advance he doesn't plan to play,  I can't remember what he's said about it if anything up till now.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Andy in Davis Cup « Reply #14 on: December 28, 2012, 07:20 PM »

He said he's chatted to Leon about it, and they'll decide nearer the time.  It's a possibility, but as someone already said in this thread, without a decent #2, it's probably better for British men's tennis long-term for Andy to achieve big, headline making personal goals, than for him to prop up the Davis Cup team - even Leon said as much.

Part of it is the timing, which looks promising compared to some of them, but there's also the change of surface to consider, and whether or not adding an extra one into the mix (as well as reducing prep time) is likely to cause bother with Andy's knee etc.  I think he'd love to play, and even though he should win his matches easily, they are all three setters.  I sometimes think they should reduce them to two sets, except for the finals, especially in the lower groups where mis-matches are more likely.
[ Last edit by *Sparkle* December 28, 2012, 07:24 PM ] IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »