Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy in Davis Cup 2013 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy in Davis Cup 2013

(Read 4836 times)
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Andy in Davis Cup 2013 « Reply #15 on: December 28, 2012, 07:59 PM »

Suppose I will just have to wait & see Think thanks folks for your input, if not there's always world tour finals in November, planning on leaving Wimbledon till 2014   w00t
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy in Davis Cup 2013 « Reply #16 on: December 28, 2012, 08:35 PM »

He said he's chatted to Leon about it, and they'll decide nearer the time.  It's a possibility, but as someone already said in this thread, without a decent #2, it's probably better for British men's tennis long-term for Andy to achieve big, headline making personal goals, than for him to prop up the Davis Cup team - even Leon said as much.

Part of it is the timing, which looks promising compared to some of them, but there's also the change of surface to consider, and whether or not adding an extra one into the mix (as well as reducing prep time) is likely to cause bother with Andy's knee etc.  I think he'd love to play, and even though he should win his matches easily, they are all three setters.  I sometimes think they should reduce them to two sets, except for the finals, especially in the lower groups where mis-matches are more likely.
My apologies if I've misread your post, but the matches are best of five here, although Andy might be expected to win in three, but in the lower groups, and by that I mean Groups III and IV where you have countries like Bermuda and Iraq playing, it's a round-robin set up with matches best of three.

I'm not sure if the surface would be a problem because the tie will be played indoors, so Andy would only be moving from one hard court surface to another, and then onto clay, although I do realise that hard court surfaces can vary.

It's good to know that he has spoken to Leon about playing though, and at least Leon won't put any pressure on him like John Lloyd did.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Andy in Davis Cup 2013 « Reply #17 on: December 29, 2012, 02:00 AM »

Yes, I got in a guddle with the sets.  I was thinking about having to win two/three sets, sometimes very emphatically (triple bagel) and how it can be a bit of a waste of energy/time to reach an obvious conclusion.   I did of course mean that best of three may be more appropriate. 

I assume they want to keep best of five to maintain a level of prestige, but if it's something that makes the top players wary of signing up, it's counter-productive.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Andy in Davis Cup 2013 « Reply #18 on: December 29, 2012, 04:39 PM »

While it might be only one change of surface involved he really should be preparing for the clay that week not continuing to play on hard.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy in Davis Cup 2013 « Reply #19 on: December 30, 2012, 01:29 AM »

Yes, I got in a guddle with the sets.  I was thinking about having to win two/three sets, sometimes very emphatically (triple bagel) and how it can be a bit of a waste of energy/time to reach an obvious conclusion.   I did of course mean that best of three may be more appropriate. 

I assume they want to keep best of five to maintain a level of prestige, but if it's something that makes the top players wary of signing up, it's counter-productive.
They only play best of three in dead rubbers, so to me either they should make all matches best of three and ignore the dead rubbers (which they can do anyway if the players agree to it but rarely do) or stick to the current format.

I think the DC as it now stands should be scrapped anyway since it's long out-lived its original relevance and is an unnecessary distraction for top players whose schedule is already packed.  Perhaps it could be replaced by something that would give lower-ranked players more incentive.

While it might be only one change of surface involved he really should be preparing for the clay that week not continuing to play on hard.
I reckon Lendl will have the final say in this matter should Andy show signs of dithering, and will probably take the same view, although if GB were in the World Group and we had a decent No.2, and peferably a No.3 as well, he might think otherwise.
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Andy in Davis Cup 2013 « Reply #20 on: December 30, 2012, 10:43 AM »

That should be his priority, undoubtably! He said himself that the transition is very hard both punishing for the body (joints) and the technical aspects too.
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: Andy in Davis Cup 2013 « Reply #21 on: December 30, 2012, 11:41 PM »

If Andy is going to play then the tie is really needing to be on clay. Can't see him playing otherwise. So it's going to involve building a temporary clay court into one of the indoor arenas such as Braehead, especially as it will probably rain if it's played outdoors.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy in Davis Cup 2013 « Reply #22 on: December 31, 2012, 01:54 AM »

If Andy is going to play then the tie is really needing to be on clay. Can't see him playing otherwise. So it's going to involve building a temporary clay court into one of the indoor arenas such as Braehead, especially as it will probably rain if it's played outdoors.
I'd forgotten that they can do that in indoor arenas, but doesn't the surface have to be announced well in advance of the tie?  It would seem pretty stupid, and probably be unnecessarily costly as well, if clay was GB's chosen surface and then Andy decided he didn't want to play.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Re: Andy in Davis Cup 2013 « Reply #23 on: January 31, 2013, 02:17 PM »

Just been announced on british tennis/davis cup site that aprils tie will be held in coventry & that andy wont be playing. He is hoping to maybe play the tie later in the year.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Re: Andy in Davis Cup 2013 « Reply #24 on: January 31, 2013, 03:20 PM »

Does this mean the sept tie will be in russia?
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Andy in Davis Cup 2013 « Reply #25 on: January 31, 2013, 04:17 PM »

Good decision. 
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Andy in Davis Cup 2013 « Reply #26 on: January 31, 2013, 04:36 PM »

Glad to hear Andy isnt playing the Davis Cup....This is a huge year for Andy...he needs to focus on his career. GB wont win that tourno anyway...there is no strength in depth in british tennis at the mo.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Andy in Davis Cup 2013 « Reply #27 on: January 31, 2013, 04:39 PM »

I kinda knew he wouldnt play.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy in Davis Cup 2013 « Reply #28 on: January 31, 2013, 05:04 PM »

Does this mean the sept tie will be in russia?
They won't be playing Russia in September because the winner of this tie will go forward to the play-off for the World Group then.  The loser here will remain in Group 1.

I'd heard that Coventry was likely to be the choice.  Understandable since Braehead has had its fair share of ties recently.  Also I didn't think Andy would play given the timing of this tie, so am not surprised at his decision.  A shame really, because he enjoys playing DC, but focusing on his career has to be his first priority.

The Australian Open finalist has decided to concentrate on his weakest surface immediately after the hard-court tournaments in Indian Wells and Miami have been completed in March.

However, the 25-year-old reigning US Open and Olympic champion will participate in the next Davis Cup tie in September.

"It's a shame to miss out on the Davis Cup, as I always enjoy playing," world number three Murray said. "I speak to (Great Britain captain) Leon Smith and the team on a regular basis and will definitely be available to play the next Davis Cup tie later this year."

The clay season begins in Casablanca on April 8 and climaxes with the French Open at Roland Garros, where Murray's best performance was his semi-final defeat by Nadal in 2011.

"We totally understand Andy's position. He has worked extremely hard on his game, elevating it to another level and we have all seen the fruits of that since Wimbledon," Smith said.

"Andy's success continues to inspire more and more young people to take up the sport and we look forward to welcoming him back into the team in September."

If they upset Russia, who have four players inside the top 100 of the world rankings, Great Britain will progress to the 16-nation World Group play-offs on September 13 to 15.

"We are very excited to be taking Davis Cup to Coventry and taking advantage of strong home support," Smith added. "It will be tough against Russia, who are arguably the strongest team in our group, but we'll be giving it our best shot."

Jamie Baker is likely to be the team's number one with James Ward, Josh Goodall and Dan Evans competing for the other singles spot, while Colin Fleming and Jonny Marray are a potential doubles pairing.

http://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/uk-sport/2013/01/31/murray-to-miss-davis-cup-tie/  
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Re: Andy in Davis Cup 2013 « Reply #29 on: January 31, 2013, 07:28 PM »

So eileen would andy only play in sept if they beat russia in april?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »