Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy in Davis Cup 2013 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Andy in Davis Cup 2013  (Read 3419 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy in Davis Cup 2013 « Reply #30 on: January 31, 2013, 07:36 PM »

So eileen would andy only play in sept if they beat russia in april?
Yes.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Top Seed

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Andy in Davis Cup 2013 « Reply #31 on: January 31, 2013, 07:52 PM »

Which isn't very likely im hearing. Not clued up on Davis cup haven't ever really followed it much.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Andy in Davis Cup 2013 « Reply #32 on: January 31, 2013, 08:01 PM »

It all seems very complicated, but if GB lost to Russia, then I think there would be play-offs, with losers relegated to Group 2. Andy might play to stop that happening
IP Logged
angiebabez
Top Seed

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Andy in Davis Cup 2013 « Reply #33 on: January 31, 2013, 08:08 PM »

Wonder if that would be in Glasgow?
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Andy in Davis Cup 2013 « Reply #34 on: January 31, 2013, 08:18 PM »

Wonder if that would be in Glasgow?

It's about time their opponents got the choice I'd have thought. I don't know how that's worked out!
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Andy in Davis Cup 2013 « Reply #35 on: January 31, 2013, 08:20 PM »

it's in Coventry !  Smile  ricoh arena
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Andy in Davis Cup 2013 « Reply #36 on: January 31, 2013, 08:23 PM »

it's in Coventry !  Smile  ricoh arena
We're talking about September already!
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Andy in Davis Cup 2013 « Reply #37 on: January 31, 2013, 08:25 PM »

It's about time their opponents got the choice I'd have thought. I don't know how that's worked out!

It's based on who had home advantage whenever the teams met previously so the last time GB played Russia it would have been in Russia. We've just been lucky to have a run of opponents who we previously played away. If two teams are meeting for the first time then they basically toss for it to see who gets home advantage
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy in Davis Cup 2013 « Reply #38 on: January 31, 2013, 11:43 PM »

They won't be playing Russia in September because the winner of this tie will go forward to the play-off for the World Group then.  The loser here will remain in Group 1.

I'd heard that Coventry was likely to be the choice.  Understandable since Braehead has had its fair share of ties recently.  Also I didn't think Andy would play given the timing of this tie, so am not surprised at his decision.  A shame really, because he enjoys playing DC, but focusing on his career has to be his first priority.

The Australian Open finalist has decided to concentrate on his weakest surface immediately after the hard-court tournaments in Indian Wells and Miami have been completed in March.

However, the 25-year-old reigning US Open and Olympic champion will participate in the next Davis Cup tie in September.

"It's a shame to miss out on the Davis Cup, as I always enjoy playing," world number three Murray said. "I speak to (Great Britain captain) Leon Smith and the team on a regular basis and will definitely be available to play the next Davis Cup tie later this year."

The clay season begins in Casablanca on April 8 and climaxes with the French Open at Roland Garros, where Murray's best performance was his semi-final defeat by Nadal in 2011.

"We totally understand Andy's position. He has worked extremely hard on his game, elevating it to another level and we have all seen the fruits of that since Wimbledon," Smith said.

"Andy's success continues to inspire more and more young people to take up the sport and we look forward to welcoming him back into the team in September."

If they upset Russia, who have four players inside the top 100 of the world rankings, Great Britain will progress to the 16-nation World Group play-offs on September 13 to 15.

"We are very excited to be taking Davis Cup to Coventry and taking advantage of strong home support," Smith added. "It will be tough against Russia, who are arguably the strongest team in our group, but we'll be giving it our best shot."

Jamie Baker is likely to be the team's number one with James Ward, Josh Goodall and Dan Evans competing for the other singles spot, while Colin Fleming and Jonny Marray are a potential doubles pairing.

http://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/uk-sport/2013/01/31/murray-to-miss-davis-cup-tie/ 

I think that the loser will go into a relegation play-off, as both teams had a bye.

Going from memory but I think Leon Smith has said that Andy has said he will play the tie in September.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Andy in Davis Cup 2013 « Reply #39 on: January 31, 2013, 11:47 PM »

I would think sept unlikely to be a home tie though we have had so many.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy in Davis Cup 2013 « Reply #40 on: February 01, 2013, 03:49 AM »

It all seems very complicated, but if GB lost to Russia, then I think there would be play-offs, with losers relegated to Group 2. Andy might play to stop that happening
I think that the loser will go into a relegation play-off, as both teams had a bye.

Going from memory but I think Leon Smith has said that Andy has said he will play the tie in September.
The impression I got from the LTA website was that, even if they lost to Russia, GB would simply stay in Group 1, which did surprise me a bit because I thought that relegation play-offs between losers were the norm.

This is the draw for all the groups, so scroll down for Europe/Africa Zone, Group 1 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Davis_Cup#Draw_6

I admit I find it confusing, but perhaps somebody else can make sense of it. Whistle
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Andy in Davis Cup 2013 « Reply #41 on: February 01, 2013, 08:25 AM »

According to the official release, Andy has said he intends to make himself available for the September tie.  I think it's a shame the news that Andy wouldn't be doing April leaked before the full statement, because some people are just focusing on him not doing it, and making a big deal out of that.

I completely understand why Andy isn't doing the April tie, but part of me still wishes he would, simply because I think it would be nice to avoid the griping.  Obviously, that's not a good reason to change sensible plans, but it's also why I'm pleased he was able to talk about doing September yesterday.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Andy in Davis Cup 2013 « Reply #42 on: February 01, 2013, 08:56 AM »

The impression I got from the LTA website was that, even if they lost to Russia, GB would simply stay in Group 1, which did surprise me a bit because I thought that relegation play-offs between losers were the norm.

Edit - I think the winner of GB v Russia will go on to WG play off, the loser to relegation play off

If you look at the draw on the Davis Cup website http://www.daviscup.com/en/results/group-i/europe-africa.aspx ,then compare with the 2012 draw (change year, top RH corner), GB this year is in a similar situation to Portugal or Israel last last year.
[ Last edit by Elena February 01, 2013, 09:07 AM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy in Davis Cup 2013 « Reply #43 on: March 27, 2013, 10:58 PM »

Davis Cup chief names his squad for Ricoh showdown  [Coventry Telegraph, 27 March]

James Ward and Jamie Baker will lead Great Britain’s bid for victory against Russia in the Davis Cup at Coventry’s Ricoh Arena next weekend in the absence of Andy Murray.

The world No.3 has made himself unavailable for the tie on an indoor hard court as he prepares for the clay season, so captain Leon Smith has chosen the British numbers two and three for the Europe/Africa Zone Group One tie.

Ross Hutchins is also unavailable as he continues to undergo cancer treatment so his regular doubles partner, Colin Fleming, will team up with Wimbledon champion Jonny Marray.

The winner of the tie will go forward to a World Group play-off in September but, without Murray, it would take a major upset for that to be Britain.

Ward is ranked 208th with Baker a place behind, while Russia captain Shamil Tarpischev has named two top-100 players, Dmitry Tursunov and Evgeny Donskoy, in his side along with former top-35 player Igor Kunitsyn and 20-year-old Victor Baluda.

Scot Baker has been dogged by injury and returns to the side for the first time since Britain beat Tunisia in a Group Two tie two years ago.

The 26-year-old, who trained with good friend Murray in Miami over the winter, qualified for the main draw of the Australian Open in January but his only match wins since then have come at the third-tier Futures level.

Ward, also 26, climbed into the top 150 last season and reached the second round at Wimbledon but a broken wrist brought an early end to his year.

He has had some encouraging results this season, reaching a Challenger final in Australia, but he has never won a Davis Cup match in Group I.

Britain’s best chance looks to be in the doubles rubber. Fleming has won his last seven Davis Cup rubbers and has teamed up with Marray on the tour in Hutchins’ absence, although the latter’s recent hernia problem has limited their time together.

Smith said: “It’s great to have Jamie Baker back in the team after him starting the year so well in qualifying at the Australian Open in January.

“James Ward has done fantastically well to come back from a long-term injury sustained last year and brings a lot of Davis Cup experience to the team having played in six of the last seven ties for his country.

“Colin Fleming has had a great start to 2013 winning ATP titles in both Auckland and Marseille.

“In Jonny Marray we have the current Wimbledon doubles champion who also went on to reach the semi-finals of the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals at the end of last year.

“We look forward to the challenge of competing against a very strong Russian side and, with the advantage of a home crowd supporting the team, we hope we can make life as difficult as possible for the opposition.”

In picking Ward and Baker, Smith has overlooked Dan Evans, who played in the last two ties and was the hero in Britain’s surprise win over Slovakia, where he beat two much higher ranked players.

The 22-year-old has failed to improve his ranking significantly, though, while Josh Goodall, who joined Evans for the defeat against Belgium last time out, has also been left out.

If Britain lose they will face a relegation play-off later in the year to avoid dropping back into Group II.

Who they face and when will be determined by the result of next weekend’s tie between South Africa and Poland.

A South Africa win would see Britain heading to Slovenia in September - a tie Murray has already committed to playing in - but a Poland win would necessitate an extra match between South Africa and Slovenia with the loser then hosting Britain in October.

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/coventry-warwickshire-sport/other-sport/2013/03/27/92746-33067314/
IP Logged
JAMES578

Re: Andy in Davis Cup 2013 « Reply #44 on: April 28, 2013, 07:46 PM »

Whilst venue in Croatia hasn't been officially confirmed yet,certainly looks like it will be in Umag on the clay and only the 2nd tie outdoors.Whilst this doesn't favour Andy not really Cilic's favourite surface either. Obviously timing not ideal but as far as we know Murray still keen to play and as long as Andy is ok physically would like him to be there. Is anyone from here considering going over to Croatia for the tie,myself and a  few others I know are interested,DC is a great experience!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »