Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy in Davis Cup 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy in Davis Cup

(Read 10635 times)
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Andy in Davis Cup « Reply #345 on: March 27, 2012, 08:16 PM »

Muzzah to miss Belgium tie at Braehead.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy in Davis Cup « Reply #346 on: March 27, 2012, 11:53 PM »

Muzzah to miss Belgium tie at Braehead.
No surprise there, Nigel.  He said recently he'd be spending the two weeks after Miami preparing for the clay court season.  Time the other players pulled together again without him anyway.  At least GB can't be relegated.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Andy in Davis Cup « Reply #347 on: March 29, 2012, 11:47 AM »

I'm sure it's the right decision for Andy and he would have been mad not to listen to Mr L who was advising him to stay in Miami and practise on the clay so that he can do all he can to help Andy prepare for the clay season and see what needs to be worked on.
Was disappointed by Neil Harman in Times, which I picked up in a library, who wrote something to the effect that Andy was putting his career ahead of the national good.  Honestly he should know that the national good would be better served by Andy winning RG than helping GB get to a play off for world group, which Andy has rightly said they're not really ready for yet.  The more the other players have to stand up to the plate, the more likely they are to deserve promotion next year and they can't be relegated this year.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy in Davis Cup « Reply #348 on: March 29, 2012, 01:58 PM »

I'm sure it's the right decision for Andy and he would have been mad not to listen to Mr L who was advising him to stay in Miami and practise on the clay so that he can do all he can to help Andy prepare for the clay season and see what needs to be worked on.
Was disappointed by Neil Harman in Times, which I picked up in a library, who wrote something to the effect that Andy was putting his career ahead of the national good.  Honestly he should know that the national good would be better served by Andy winning RG than helping GB get to a play off for world group, which Andy has rightly said they're not really ready for yet.  The more the other players have to stand up to the plate, the more likely they are to deserve promotion next year and they can't be relegated this year.
Well said, Ruthie. clap
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Andy in Davis Cup « Reply #349 on: March 29, 2012, 06:43 PM »

This is definitely the right decision for Andy (and I say this as a person who has bought tickets for the whole weekend for the fourth time) he needs to spend as much time as possible with Mr L.  GB are not at the level of the World Group stages, the team is not good enough.  We have a steadily improving doubles team who are getting there and we have the fourth best player in the world who within that team needs to win both his singles rubbers as the other singles players are not at the same level.  Anyone who says that Andy is letting his country down, No Way.....  The effect of Andy staying in the top five in the world and hopefully winning his first GS will encourage kids all over GB to pick up a tennis racket and try to emulate him, from these youngsters there may be the next "Andy".  Without Andy GB would be in tennis wilderness, as long as he is doing what he does and keeping himself right up there then there will always be an interest in the sport.   Playing in the DC may totally wreck his clay court preparations and he has solid points to defend.  Andy has made the right decision, of course there will be sections of the press who will vilify him and there will be people who question his loyalty, to those who question his loyalty I would say think back to the first tie at Braehead, those tears were passion, pride and joy at being home all rolled into one.  Keep doing what you are doing Andy your real fans know and are behind you.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Andy in Davis Cup « Reply #350 on: March 29, 2012, 06:46 PM »

Well said MM especially as you are losing out as a result of Andy's decision - I do wish corrrespondents such as Harman could take this more objective perspective.
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Andy in Davis Cup « Reply #351 on: March 29, 2012, 06:48 PM »

I must admit last time I was not looking forward to it but it turned out to be really exciting so hoping for the same again.  Will just have to start saving and try and see Andy playing in a "proper" tourney!!! 
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Andy in Davis Cup « Reply #352 on: March 29, 2012, 06:49 PM »

You certainly deserve to MM!
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Andy in Davis Cup « Reply #353 on: March 29, 2012, 06:51 PM »

Even Djoko is not playing in the Davis Cup, like Andy more important things to work on!
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Andy in Davis Cup « Reply #354 on: March 29, 2012, 07:07 PM »

I'm surprised and disappointed if Neil Harman was critical of Andy about this.

Someone tweeted him the other day, saying "Would AM just pull out if he was an england footballer at WC? What is the point in dc if best players cant be bothered?" to which NH replied "Your last point is very well taken".

That reply may be a bit subtle for someone who thinks the Davis Cup is the tennis equivalent of the World Cup. I seem to remember that he has supported changes to Davis Cup - not every year for example, maybe.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy in Davis Cup « Reply #355 on: March 30, 2012, 12:00 AM »

This is definitely the right decision for Andy (and I say this as a person who has bought tickets for the whole weekend for the fourth time) he needs to spend as much time as possible with Mr L.  GB are not at the level of the World Group stages, the team is not good enough.  We have a steadily improving doubles team who are getting there and we have the fourth best player in the world who within that team needs to win both his singles rubbers as the other singles players are not at the same level.  Anyone who says that Andy is letting his country down, No Way.....  The effect of Andy staying in the top five in the world and hopefully winning his first GS will encourage kids all over GB to pick up a tennis racket and try to emulate him, from these youngsters there may be the next "Andy".  Without Andy GB would be in tennis wilderness, as long as he is doing what he does and keeping himself right up there then there will always be an interest in the sport.   Playing in the DC may totally wreck his clay court preparations and he has solid points to defend.  Andy has made the right decision, of course there will be sections of the press who will vilify him and there will be people who question his loyalty, to those who question his loyalty I would say think back to the first tie at Braehead, those tears were passion, pride and joy at being home all rolled into one.  Keep doing what you are doing Andy your real fans know and are behind you.
Good posting!

The Herald summed it all up in this statement -

With a packed calendar from now until the US Open, Murray's confirmation that he will miss the Davis Cup clash with Belgium at the Braehead Arena next month was no surprise. The Scot believes Britain are currently at their true level.

Three grand slams, five Masters 1000 events and the Olympics are all crammed into five months so there is little room for manoeuvre and with coach Ivan Lendl also convinced Davis Cup was not the right idea this time, Murray made the obvious decision.

Maybe the likes of Harman should stop and think before coming out with such negative comments!

Well the crowd at Braehead showed last time that, whilst the atmosphere may have lacked a certain something in Andy's absence, they're more than willing to cheer on the other lads and give them a lift, so no reason why it shouldn't happen again. 
[ Last edit by Aileen March 30, 2012, 12:06 AM ] IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Andy in Davis Cup « Reply #356 on: March 30, 2012, 09:07 AM »

And if Andy had played last time I don't suppose Dan Evans would have done and wouldn't have discovered what he can achieve. 
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Andy in Davis Cup « Reply #357 on: March 30, 2012, 12:55 PM »

When it comes down to the nitty gritty Andy has to put himself first as have Nadal and Djokovic who are not playing Davis Cup this year. The Schedule is far too tight to even think about playing in the Davis Cup.  With the Olympics in London this year Andy will be playing in them too.  I think he has made the correct decision he is a human being not a robot. Lendl is right he must put himself first and I am sure when he wins a slam all will be forgiven,perhaps, but some people will never be happy no matter what Andy does and that is their loss.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Andy in Davis Cup « Reply #358 on: March 30, 2012, 03:58 PM »

This is definitely the right decision for Andy (and I say this as a person who has bought tickets for the whole weekend for the fourth time) he needs to spend as much time as possible with Mr L.  GB are not at the level of the World Group stages, the team is not good enough.  We have a steadily improving doubles team who are getting there and we have the fourth best player in the world who within that team needs to win both his singles rubbers as the other singles players are not at the same level.  Anyone who says that Andy is letting his country down, No Way.....  The effect of Andy staying in the top five in the world and hopefully winning his first GS will encourage kids all over GB to pick up a tennis racket and try to emulate him, from these youngsters there may be the next "Andy".  Without Andy GB would be in tennis wilderness, as long as he is doing what he does and keeping himself right up there then there will always be an interest in the sport.   Playing in the DC may totally wreck his clay court preparations and he has solid points to defend.  Andy has made the right decision, of course there will be sections of the press who will vilify him and there will be people who question his loyalty, to those who question his loyalty I would say think back to the first tie at Braehead, those tears were passion, pride and joy at being home all rolled into one.  Keep doing what you are doing Andy your real fans know and are behind you.

Spoken like a true Andy Murray supporter.  Well said MM.. and dinna fash yersel'.. ye'll get anither shottie o' seein' yer loon am sure.

And what's up with Neil Harman?.. he's usually a fair reporter who has a good relationship with Andy.  He's maybe irked cos Andy doesn't tweet with him anymore... diddums..
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Andy in Davis Cup « Reply #359 on: March 30, 2012, 05:30 PM »

Yes I was surprised that NH of all people should write that.  Perhaps he's been criticised for being too friendly with Andy?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »